The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-25-2018, 08:03 PM

Default Putting together a student notebook for my guitar lessons

So this is the end of my first week with the online lessons from Justin Sandercoe (justinguitar.com). One thing he recommends that students do is put together a student notebook. I thought, that's a great idea! The other times I've tried to learn guitar, I had not done that.

So, aside from putting some sheets of songs in the back that I am going to be working on and moving them to the front once I've learned them (another recommendation from Justin), what else should I be putting in that notebook? I purchased a three-ring binder, some tab dividers, and some notebook paper and am ready to go.

Thoughts?

(edit: I saw the moderators moved this from the general acoustic guitar thread--sorry about posting in the wrong spot.)

Last edited by Guitarbarian; 11-25-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:14 PM

I am interested to hear others chime in on this as well.

I bought a Five Star college-rule notebook (first time I've done that since school), as opposed to a three-ring binder, but I think I have one of those around here somewhere too. I never got further than making a few notes and chord charts for "Tears in Heaven" and a couple other Clapton songs I was learning, but I have been *thinking* about this very thing for some time. I will be at work, totally focused on my job, and then find myself kind of daydreaming about "Hey, I wonder how I could *really* organize my guitar notebook to really be spot-on". lol.

Anyway, wish I had some better advice for you, but will defer to others here as I kind of did the same thing and basically stalled out.

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 11-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I have multiple notebooks of tabs, mostly sorted by tunings and many, many more in pdf and guitarpro format on my pc. If I were to make a "student" notebook, I would put a few pages of "style related" exercises in it ie. chord progressions or fingerstyle right hand studies. This would be as a reminder to work on them everyday *** slowly***.

Working slowly with massive repetition, which is a challenge to anyone's patience, is the key to improving.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 AM

Since basically day one (6 years) I have kept a daily log/journal.
Mostly what songs worked on and for how much time.
Someone somewhere recommended this as a way to keep memory honest.
Like, why is it taking so long to learn the dreaded F chord?
I use a form I made in MS Excel.
Interesting to go back on occasion and look thru.

Another notebook(s) are for songs.
Yet another is for notes on scales, keys, tunings, etc...

After awhile it is just 2nd nature to be organized.

Have fun!
Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 PM

I have notebooks I kept while teaching myself. They are mostly theory-based stuff. Like lists of chords in different keys, showing myself the difference between 7ths and maj7ths, number of half steps in different intervals, layout of the fretboard in solfege and different scales and modes in solfege, voicing of barre chords vs open chords, etc.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:03 PM

I am way too disorganized. My instructor tabs out songs for me, sometimes little exercises. If I have them paper clipped together so the multi-page ones don't get separated I am doing good. I have a few pages of tab that got separated that don't have what they are on them other than "page 2" say. Can't always figure out what song they relate to.

Notebook definitely sounds better than that.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:21 PM

I am serious about organization and filing for all info at work and at home. If you cannot put your hands on it quickly when needed, then you waste a lot of time. Just a little work and planning up front saves a lot of time down the road, well worth it.

I have a 3 ring binder that is now 2" thick of material these past 4 years. You have to pick categories of where things need to be filed. I did keep journal notes from my lessons and would go home or even in the truck to expand on what I learned during the lesson.

My notebook tabs are labeled as:

Lessons and Practice - journal of notes and lessons learned.
Guitar Music - this can be any type of info for how to play a song. I get a lot from the web like ultimate guitar. From my lessons we dissect song parts and techniques and write handwritten notes for that certain song. This is now 50% of the notebook.
Music Theory - chord charts, scale charts, box charts, quick reference guides when needed.
Guitar Notes - misc file for anything. Mine has guitar data for the ones I own, manuals, and home made chord charts, etc.
Bass - I took bass lessons for a year and this one tab is catchall for all that info.

The outside front of the notebook has a chord chart for quick reference and the back has complete notes of the guitar which is also very handy.
I created this on powerpoint and was very helpful in learning about notes on the neck. I use blank copies and highlighter for different exercises:
[IMG][/IMG]
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 11-27-2018 at 07:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write