The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-09-2022, 09:33 PM

Default NGD: 2022 Greenfield G4

It's finally home with me, after a dramatic two year wait. I couldn't be happier

There's another thread in this sub that goes into detail on what happened, but the TLDR; this G4 was built for me by Michael as a replacement to the guitar he'd originally built for me in 2020-2021. That instrument was destroyed in shipping. Read all about it here. Upon learning of the tragedy Micheal immediately fast tracked the replacement guitar in his queue. Another year later and it was time to take delivery.

"Would you like for me to ship this instrument?" he asked... No sir. This time I'd fly to Montreal and bring it home personally.

My wife and I visited the Woodnest in Montreal two weekends ago. Micheal treated us to a wonderful shop tour, a fantastic espresso, and a really special moment when he guided us into his office to reveal my new guitar in a beautifully lit glass display case (made by Acoustic Remedy, really nice.)

This is a G4, his largest "jumbo" body. In fact , this instrument is an Andy McKee signature model guitar. The third ever built, second to survive long enough to meet its new owner (Yes, model #2 was the guitar lost in shipping.)

Why this guitar? Like many my age it was Andy McKee that sparked a fascination with the acoustic guitar. I was once a professional electric guitarist, Berklee trained. At one point I'd lost interest in guitar music. I came to realize later that it represented what was becoming a day job and a grind. I stopped playing for about 4 years and relocated to NYC to hunt for a new career and a new lease on life. One day I stumbled across Andy's music on YouTube and for the first time in a long time I couldn't understand what I was hearing. I'd never heard anyone play like that, approach a guitar like that. Then I found Micheal Hedges. Again, stumped. I had no idea how he was able to make an acoustic guitar sound like that. I did know one thing however... they both had two capable hands and a guitar. I had the same, so I set out to learn their music. I was fired up once again about guitar, and I became obsessed.

Fast forward to the present day and, while my musical tastes have changed a bit, my love for this instrument has only grown deeper. The flashy percussive stuff no long holds my attention. However, so much of Andy's music is just as strong, and sometimes stronger even, when played on piano as it is played on guitar. That's a hallmark of a great composer. His music is wonderful regardless of the medium it's played through. He has a gift for melody. At this point I've met Andy a number of times. He's a wonderful person and an important figure in the history of the acoustic guitar. He's also just a chill, down to earth guy who grew up playing the same video games as me.

All this is to say that this particular guitar is quite special to me. it represents a sea change in my relationship to music and to musical instruments. It's also the guitar that I'd daydream about when walking home from low paying jobs I took while learning to establish myself in New York. "If this business ever takes off..." It's THAT guitar to me, and it's now mine. What a ride.

I've included a photo of the spec sheet below. Big ticket materials are Adirondack spruce over Macassar ebony back and sides. Greenfield #342.

Workmanship is flawless. Setup is flawless. Finish is flawless (seriously, best I've ever seen by far). Mr. Greenfield lives up to his reputation. This is the best playing guitar that I own, and that's with medium gauge strings. The neck dimensions on this guitar are exactly what I would have ordered, which is one of the key reasons why I went for what is technically a spec instrument.

I've also learned that I really like big, heavy guitars. The thick waist on the G4 leaves it sitting very comfortable in my lap. The bevels make a big difference. It's perfect.

As for the sound and feel, well, I now understand how Michael has earned his reputation. The sound is huge and deep. The trebles are incredibly thick. It's perfect. The overtones are strong. The fundaments are strong. The presentation between these two sonic characteristics is unreal. It's balanced and it's crystal clear. This is what they mean by "piano tone." It's the sound I've wanted for years. I'm compelled to start thinning my collection because I feel like I'm home. This is all subjective, but for me it's like seeing 4K for the first time. I didn't know a guitar could sound like this. I didn't know a guitar could respond to my hands like this. I know this man makes a great guitar, but this is over the top.

That's about all I have to say. This has been a wild experience. Despite the trials and setbacks in the end I have my dream guitar, which has completely blown me away, and I've gained a friend in Micheal Greenfield. He's a wonderful person and I hope he and I are able to work together once again down the road. Carte blanche, he can build for me whatever he wants.

Thanks for listening.

Kindly, Matt

P.S. I'll post some more photos tomorrow

Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 08-10-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Wow.
Congratulations.
I can’t wait to see more pictures.
Any chance of sharing an audio clip?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-09-2022, 09:57 PM

Congratulations!
I've always wondered what would look good in that type of Calton case.
The answer: your Greenfield!
Old 08-09-2022, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

That is an incredible guitar and a great story. Enjoy it! And please post clips if you can.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:50 PM

So pleased for you. Glad it was everything you hoped for after all that happened. Enjoy playing the life into this one!
Old 08-10-2022, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar. I hope that it is everything that you hoped for (and then some)…
Old 08-10-2022, 06:01 AM

Matt,

What a wonderful ending to a very wild ride! Thanks for sharing so much of your own journey with us as well. The depth of meaning this particular instrument holds for you makes the end all the sweeter to see. Big congrats! Enjoy every single note!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

That is stunning, Matt! No surprise, all things considered I followed the original tale and I'm so glad to see such a positive resolution. Enjoy it in good health and I hope you'll post some clips at some point.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Matt,

What a wonderful ending to a very wild ride! Thanks for sharing so much of your own journey with us as well. The depth of meaning this particular instrument holds for you makes the end all the sweeter to see. Big congrats! Enjoy every single note!
What Treenewt said…

Hooray! Finally!!!

Wonderful story and spectacular instrument, too!

Have a Ton of Fun with it

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-10-2022, 04:18 PM

Absolutely lovely! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Amazing guitar and awesome ending to a rough start. Congrats, Scallywag!
Old 08-10-2022, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, that is a terrific guitar, with a story for the ages!
Old 08-10-2022, 05:17 PM

That is one awesome, incredible guitar!

Enjoy!

Rick
Old 08-11-2022, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

That guitar looks incredible
Old 08-11-2022, 07:30 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Congrats dude! A long time coming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop