The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-05-2022, 01:33 PM

Thanks everyone super appreciated ^_^ I'm just so giddy its torture not playing her again till tomorrow but wanna let it acclimatise proppely

I'll get one of those ordered Steve thanks for the tip played Like absolute butter at the guys house which was good considering it was on original strings still! Really has to be said the consistency on the Korean built ones across all the ones I played was really good so thanks to all that made me see the light. Just been listening to some Wes, Mary Osborne an some of Hank sugarfoot Garlands Jazz winds sure you've all seen it but the film crazy about Hank is well worth a watch for anyone into guitar n Jazz to.

Thought this might be interesting to any lefties one of Wes Montgomery's influences.
https://www.jazzwax.com/2021/04/comp...e-1959-60.html

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 08-05-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:05 AM

Gonna have a fly out for some flatwounds if anywhere has any if not I'll order some online just been playing this morning absolutely in love with the tone an playability gonna upload a lil clip later.

Here's the NGD piccies ^__^ hope you all enjoy

Old 08-06-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Oh yeah! Now that's a beautiful guitar - especially like the unexpected and classy b&w shot! Congrats Lucy 😎
Old 08-06-2022, 08:08 AM

Thanks Rob ^_^ Was up early this morning just staring at it so decided to get my Hassy out crazy to think the previous owner had gigged it not even a scratch on it anywhere.

Was looking at the following strings you guys mention not sure if the nut would take 12's or does anyone know if I'd need to alter anything on the bigsby do they need a different spring?

D'Addario ECG24 11-50
Thomastik JS111 Jazz Swing String Set Flatwound Gauge 11
Old 08-06-2022, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

12's should be okay on your Bigsbyfied Gretsch but check in with your shop about it. You might also consider joining up Gretsch-Talk forum - lots of knowledgeable folks.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:44 AM

Here's a few little clips from today giving the Gretsch a whirl looking forward to learning to play better n more but it's so nice having such a great guitar at the beginning of my journey
https://youtu.be/DlCCdljjo80
Old 08-06-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! Really like your smooth and relaxed style, Lucy - you seem right at home already! Curious .. who are you listening to these days (i.e. last 5 songs on your phone playlist)? Cheers
Old 08-06-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Strat View Post
Here's a few little clips from today giving the Gretsch a whirl looking forward to learning to play better n more but it's so nice having such a great guitar at the beginning of my journey
Ah, a fellow reverb junkie

Guitar looks and sounds great. Congratulations!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-06-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
...Was looking at the following strings you guys mentioned, not sure if the nut would take 12's or does anyone know if I'd need to alter anything on the Bigsby - do they need a different spring?

D'Addario ECG24 11-50
Thomastik JS111 Jazz Swing String Set Flatwound Gauge 11
First off, my compliments on your guitar/amp combination - some of the best jazz tones I've ever heard have come from a Deluxe Reverb...

Second, I was watching your fingerboard touch/technique on the YouTube video: if you're going to be doing slow bends and fretting-hand chord vibrato, I'd say hold off on the 12's for now and go with the D'Addario ECG24 flats - good basic setup for a modern Gretsch anyway (very close to the factory original strings in terms of gauge/tension, so you don't need to tinker with the Bigsby spring), and less expensive than the Thomastiks should you decide they're not what you're after (a definite bonus should you break one or two in the process of mastering the Bigsby restringing process, until you get a Vibramate Spoiler)...

Finally, while it's not exactly jazz this Shadows pop classic (performed here by ex-Crickettes lead guitarist Zoe McCulloch; listen to the Shads' version - which your dad probably knows - as well) IMO makes an excellent complement to your instrument/amp/tone/touch - I've recently added it to my own repertoire, and while the original (as well as most covers) was done with a Strat I find a Gretsch to be equally well-suited, with its slightly mellower and less-metallic tonality:

Old 08-06-2022, 12:29 PM

Thanks Rob n Jeff very kind about my humble thumblin it's strange the moment I tried the first Gretsch I just fell in love just goes to show you have to be open about trying new stuff as I've walked past them so much in the past.

Yep I'm a reverb convert thanks to Peter Green an Danny Kirwan :3 before that it was wailing with a epiphone es paul with 8's into a small Marshall trying to do my best beano album impression with no verb. Always think it's interesting how music leads us down a new path

I used to be obsessed with the Shadows but music gets us through life at different points well it does for me always loved Jazz but never had the confidence to try playing it before.

Last 20 songs according to my music app are
Chet Baker - I talk to the trees (anyone else think of King crimson on a few bits of that )
Chet Baker- Alone together
Mark Knopfler - Brothers in Arms
Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well p1
Wes Montgomery - Impressions
Guy King - Truth
Wes - Round Midnight
The Shadows - Sleepwalk
Chet Baker - Almost Blue
Cannon Ball Alderley- Autumn Leaves
Benny Goodman (Charlie Christian) solo flight
The Unthanks - Magpie
Fleetwood mac (green + Kirwan) Black magic Woman
Bluesbreakers (beano album) steppin' out
Wes Montgomery- Road
Wes Montgomery- California Dreamin
BillJennings - Enough Said
Bill Jennings Glide on
Hank Garland -Relaxin
Mary Osborne How high the moon
Wes Montgomery Canadian Sunset
Chet Baker- Alone together
Old 08-06-2022, 12:31 PM

An thanks Steve you just replied as I posted I know that one well love the Shadows I grew up listening to Hank in the car 40s 50s n 60s music Jeff Beck etc was the order off the day for me.

I'll stick that youtube video on now an thanks for the recommendation on strings

Funny you should mention wonderful land Steve this was back in December sending next door mad when I thumbled Shads stuff for 4 days straight lol totally forgot about it

An yep the string spoiler is getting ordered Monday looks an awesome bit of kit

Shads wonderful land on the strat into a Vox I sold to get the Fender Deluxe.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXEWIDEF...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

The Deluxe has been a great bit of kit being the tonemaster I can drop the wattage without sending next door mad the ac10 was a bit to loud at times.

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 08-06-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very nice video, Lucy! And lovely photos of your new guitar; what a beauty!

- Glenn
Old 08-06-2022, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Great song selections!

I'm also a big fan of Chet Baker. I also enjoy listening to the Italian singer Mina - here she is singing her uptempo late 50's hit "Nessuno" from the movie "Urlatori Alla Sbarr" ("Howlers On The Dock"), ha ha check out Chet Baker catching some shut-eye in the tub. Also, look at that ultra-cool way out Wandre guitar!

https://youtu.be/hTA21AdEZ74
Old 08-06-2022, 04:02 PM

Thanks Glenn an Rob I'll give that a watch now! Just been watching Norms rare guitar archtop vids.

I love the way Chet phrases stuff really get lost listening to it the power of music.

Edit just watched the clip that's hilarious! Cool music to

Last edited by Lucy_Strat; 08-06-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:01 AM

Gave her one last run out today on the original roundwounds so I've got a comparison clip for when I fit the flatwounds, got some D'Addario 11-50 flatwounds coming tomorrow.

2nd day really enjoying the Gretsch so far got the Robert Benedetto book on archtop guitar construction and design coming tomorrow be really interesting.

https://youtu.be/7CXWTSrZuuU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars