The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-03-2022, 08:48 AM

I've had many LP's and other Gibsons, and none of them stay in tune for very long, esp. the G string. It's me, not the guitars, set up, nor nut. Too bend happy. Although Nut Sauce or graphite helps in the nut, it never solves the inherent instability for long.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I wonder why no-one complains about this with Martin guitars? The certainly have the offset nut-to-tuning post thing happening, especially with the 1st and 6th strings. Do you suppose it is because there if far less bending going on with them?

Bob
I suspect its the heavyer strings Bob, I find Gibson acoustics to be less prone to it than Gibson electrics. Nut/tuning problems are a result of uneven tensions on either side of the nut, IMO the less tension you have on your strings the more problems you're going have getting them to find "Home" tension-wise. I do lots of bending with any guitar so when I'm done tuning I do a big bend on all my strings and re-tweak them, usually if something starts to sound wonky, simply doing another big bend on the offending string will put it back in tune.

I generally run 11's on my electrics and have no tuning issues with the LP's and I bend constantly, to be honest I think I have about as many problems with the string tree's on my Tele than I do with the Gibson break angle, but nobody ever seems to cry about that quite so much?

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-03-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
I've had many LP's and other Gibsons, and none of them stay in tune for very long, esp. the G string. It's me, not the guitars, set up, nor nut. Too bend happy. Although Nut Sauce or graphite helps in the nut, it never solves the inherent instability for long.
Do you use a wound G string? For some reason, a wound G always seems to result in better tuning stability, and oddly enough as I go up in string diameter the unwound G tends to get more finnicky. Never quite understood it, but its good to know. The flip side is that the unwound G strings are way more sensitive to bends and vibrato.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:16 PM

It's not just Gibson's, Gretsch and other 3x3 headstocks are prone. Not such a problem on acoustic's becàuse less bending. More common problem with vibrato bridges like Bigsby's for the same reason.

PRS headstock MUCH improves things.
A String Butler is a great adjunct to straighten the angles through the nut..

Endless posts in forums are sure that a perfect nut eith lubrication makes such things unnecessary... which might be true... but the frequency and persistence of these threads suggest it's not quite so easy in practice...
Old 08-06-2022, 09:31 PM

I have a Les Paul 50s Standard and a dot es 335. I’m surprised at how well they stay in tune and I’m really picky about tuning. They do not creep sharp. I had to file down the nut slots on both guitars but once that was done both of them are great players.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardo View Post
I have a Les Paul 50s Standard and a dot es 335. I’m surprised at how well they stay in tune and I’m really picky about tuning. They do not creep sharp. I had to file down the nut slots on both guitars but once that was done both of them are great players.
IMHO, That's the missing piece with most people that have tuning problems.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-07-2022, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
IMHO, That's the missing piece with most people that have tuning problems.
+1

Oftentimes with a proper re-string process… even the cheapest of tuners will do the job. The nut is typically the culprit. Or, the method being used to restring. More often than not…it’s the nut.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-09-2022, 09:11 AM

OP here. Just wanted to circle back. My new Epiphone IBG 60s Les Paul is performing incredibly well.

I worked on the nut slots, giving them a fine tuning and widening the back of each slot just slightly to accommodate the angle of the string as it heads towards the tuner. Once that was done, the final step was running a piece of ultra-fine emery paper through each slot.

In addition, I used a fine piece of emery paper through each bridge channel (shallow channel) to polish that area. The bridge channels and nut slots were then lubricated with graphite powder.

I’m using a set of 11s (I do a lot of fingerpicking) and the tone and performance is excellent. These guitars are the real deal.

Rb
Old 08-09-2022, 09:13 AM

Good update, with a happy ending. what's not to love?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-09-2022, 10:59 AM

Roger, that's great news. You've got a great IBG Les Paul. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:36 PM

Thanks guys, my only reservation is/was the Country of Origin.. almost didn’t buy it because of that. But that’s just me.
Rb
Old 08-09-2022, 03:44 PM

Hey, wait a minute. You've got a new IBG 60's Les Paul and we haven't seen any pics of it?
Old 08-09-2022, 08:04 PM

I know GoPappy, pics or it didn’t happen.

Well, I’ve tried several times to post pics on this forum and can’t get it to work. I host them on Imgur, but can’t get an image to copy to my post here.

I’m a bit tech challenged I guess.
Roger
Old 08-10-2022, 06:21 AM

My Special stays in tune. After my SG was properly set up it finally stayed in tune. My Jr and Melody Maker
have NEVER cooperated.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Do you use a wound G string? For some reason, a wound G always seems to result in better tuning stability, and oddly enough as I go up in string diameter the unwound G tends to get more finnicky. Never quite understood it, but its good to know. The flip side is that the unwound G strings are way more sensitive to bends and vibrato.
I'll try installing a wound G string. Thanks for the tip.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars