The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Only if a guitarist is inexperienced. For me, changing strings on my Yairi is actually simpler and faster. It’s just a question of what we’re used to.
This thread comes up from time to time: someone gets buoyed by getting the hang of changing strings on a slotted headstock and then goes over the top by claiming it's as easy or even easier than a solid headstock. For those used to changing both, it just isn't: there are more variables involved and a finer skill set required with slotted headstocks. Arguing against that is a bit like trying to make two plus two equal five.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:51 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
This thread comes up from time to time: someone gets buoyed by getting the hang of changing strings on a slotted headstock and then goes over the top by claiming it's as easy or even easier than a solid headstock. For those used to changing both, it just isn't: there are more variables involved and a finer skill set required with slotted headstocks. Arguing against that is a bit like trying to make two plus two equal five.
Really, speaking down to me like this was not necessary. I know a lot of people that agree with you, and a lot of people that don’t. I’ve changed strings on both slotted headstocks and paddles for 45 years (or so). I was not “bouyed by getting the hang” of it (quoting you) or neither did I “go over the top” (quoting you again). For me, and for many others, changing strings on a slotted head is easier or equal in ease. It has been for over four decades for myself. There’s really no difference, unless a person simply lacks experience. If you can’t make your point without belittling, then have a good day.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 08-11-2022, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

By coincidence I restrung my new slotted guitar for the first time, an hour later I come across this thread.

Fortunately I didn't realize it was supposed to be difficult so I just went ahead and did it. I copied the way the existing strings wound around the posts.

It didn't seem much different than a regular guitar.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I've only restrung my 00015SM a few times. I wouldn't say it's more difficult than a paddle head. It does take me a little longer just because I'm ultra careful to make sure strings don't come in contact with edges of the slot head. With a little more experience I'll probably be more proficient with it. Kinda enjoy it actually.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 08-12-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
By coincidence I restrung my new slotted guitar for the first time, an hour later I come across this thread.

Fortunately I didn't realize it was supposed to be difficult so I just went ahead and did it. I copied the way the existing strings wound around the posts.

It didn't seem much different than a regular guitar.
Slightly "different" but not more difficult.

There are those like Silly Moustache that are dedicated to dispelling the notion that slot heads are to be avoided at all costs because of the impossibility of changing the strings. His video is excellent should serve to quiet the consternation of anyone contemplating going over to the dark side. These topics are at least amusing to read, though.

I'd say that anyone who can't manage to change strings without mangling their instrument might be better off with playing a keyboard.

Even if I could agree that there was a SLIGHT difference in the amount of effort expended I'd have to say that's FAR offset by the ergonomics of tuning and playing the guitar that has slot head tuners.

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-12-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Slightly "different" but not more difficult.

There are those like Silly Moustache that are dedicated to dispelling the notion that slot heads are to be avoided at all costs because of the impossibility of changing the strings. His video is excellent should serve to quiet the consternation of anyone contemplating going over to the dark side. These topics are at least amusing to read, though.

I'd say that anyone who can't manage to change strings without mangling their instrument might be better off with playing a keyboard.

Even if I could agree that there was a SLIGHT difference in the amount of effort expended I'd have to say that's FAR offset by the ergonomics of tuning and playing the guitar that has slot head tuners.
I could not have said it any better - and this is coming from a slot head newbie! I do find the use of a power winder on a slotted headstock most beneficial. Of course, I'm pretty good with mechanical things and engineering solutions, so your mileage may vary!

"Viva la slot head"!
Old 08-12-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Restringing slotheads is relatively more complicated and involves more skill. That's indisputable.
They aren't any harder; maybe even a little bit easier because I don't have to "hide" the string ends in a slotted headstock. It all comes down to how much experience you have.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
They aren't any harder; maybe even a little bit easier because I don't have to "hide" the string ends in a slotted headstock. It all comes down to how much experience you have.
That's an excellent point that's not often mentioned. If you pre-bend the string and cut the length after the bend to 1/2" then you're all done. The small amount of "protruding" string stays comfortably inside the slot and you'd be hard-pressed to poke yourself with a string end, which happens on vertical post tuners much more than I care to think about.

Even though I can't envision how someone could poke themselves with a string end on a slot head guitar I DO acknowledge there are those who can hurt themselves with a marshmallow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion