The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2022, 08:11 AM

Default Restrung a slotted headstock first time..

I was a bit apprehensive about changing the strings on my Martin 000-15Sm because I heard slotted heads can be a bit tricky and despite being a guitar player I'm pretty ham-fisted at most things. I watched a video or two and jumped in and found it easier than stringing a solid head.

I found that I had more control over the string in the winding process because of the nature of the slotted head. Anyway, turns out it was no big deal and almost fun.

So maybe if you have a mark against slotted heads because of the restringing, as I did, don't take it to heart.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:21 AM

I use this video from our own esteemed Senor Moustachio as a guide.

Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-24-2022, 08:24 AM

Yeah I did find that video helpful for advice but I'm a bit basic and wanted to see the actual winding process so I found a video with the camera right over the headstock.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I use this video from our own esteemed Senor Moustachio as a guide.

Yep, I used this tutorial myself for restringing my new slothead Iris the first time a few months ago. In 30 years of owning guitars, I had never owned a slotted headstock instrument. This video was most helpful in making it easy for a first timer like me!
Old 07-24-2022, 09:27 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
…turns out it was no big deal and almost fun.
Yep, that was my experience too. String changing wouldn’t be an issue at all if I was considering getting another slothead.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:29 AM

I didn't anticipate any problems, having been changing strings on classical guitars since the early '70s, but was a little surprised how much trouble I had the first time on my OOO Orpheum. Second (and subsequent) changes were smoother, not sure why I had issues the first time, maybe just anticipating them so they obliged me!
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I have found that the use of a power winder helps a great deal.

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2022, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
I second this! Found that it made it much easier to neatly feed the wraps on to the posts - especially with the two E strings and the somewhat odd angle required to keep them from rubbing on the headstock.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
Yep, that's the key, makes the chore easy and quick!
Old 07-24-2022, 01:43 PM

To me the biggest thing was buying into the pre-cut and crimp aspect. Things became considerably easier after that.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-24-2022, 03:17 PM

Have been re-stringing a slot head for 50 years, and often the "how-to's" are wrong IMHO. And often I see "Factory Fresh" boxes strung how I wouldn't dare.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 07-24-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
To me the biggest thing was buying into the pre-cut and crimp aspect. Things became considerably easier after that.
Exactly, that was the advice I needed and then it was fine!
Old 07-24-2022, 07:26 PM

I’ve owned slot heads for 45 years. I can change strings as quickly and neatly with slot heads as with paddle head guitars. It just takes knowing what to do and some practice.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
I watched a video or two and jumped in and found it easier than stringing a solid head.
You exaggerate, surely?

On a solid head, you slide the string through and turn. The only concern is making sure that the winding goes from the bottom up.

With a slothead, the first challenge is removing the strings, At some point everyone is going lance their fingers on the point of either the top E or top B strings when removing them. Next thing is getting the string to cross over itself on the revolving bar to add extra stability, just as we would do with a classical guitar. This involves turning the string on the left side of the bar and then pulling it over to the right side (or vice-versa) before the string has got too tight. Another thing is going to be ensuring that the string is not wound too far to the left or right of the bar; we will want the string to be somewhere near the middle so that it runs with only a small angle towards the nut. Next thing is avoiding scratching the wood when putting on the low E string. As we wind the string on, its thickness and stiffness can mean that it scratches the wood underneath, so we need to pay attention to that. A final consideration is where the tail of the string ends up when we want to cut it off. If the fates are smiling on us, it will be at the front, but all too often it's at the back, which can put us at risk of scratching the head with the pliers.

It's okay. We can get used to it, and I have changed strings dozens of times on slotheads. But compared to a solid head, slotheads are fiddlesome no matter how many times we've done it. I don't see how anyone could seriously deny that.

Last edited by ewalling; 07-24-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
It's okay. We can get used to it, and I have changed strings dozens of times on slotheads. But compared to a solid head, slotheads are fiddlesome no matter how many times we've done it. I don't see how anyone could seriously deny that.
Well, I only have one slothead and 4 'regular' but I have no issues such as you list in doing a string change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion