The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-22-2022, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Getting back into flatwater paddling...

The infusion of cash from purging guitars has helped to propel me back into flatwater (lakes, big creeks and slow rivers) paddling. Who else is a paddler? I purchased a Native Watercraft Ultimate FX12, kind of a canoe/kayak hybrid. I also ordered a trailer to haul it - my hefting heavy stuff onto the roof of my car is a distant memory...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-22-2022, 06:10 AM

Very nice.

We don't do all the paddling we used to but my wife wants to do a particular river section closer to home and paddle to Pictured Rocks (Lake Superior) before September.

We're weeks from empty nest status so it won't surprise me if there's a lot more paddling ahead of us. We've paddled at the cabin in that 21 years kids window but a family of 5 plus dog is a bit much for some things we used to do. Part of the interest in resuming is we are not go to gym types so it is upper body action different than hike/bike/walk/run.

People ask why we don't kayak but we own some great canoes and a drift boat.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A friend just pedal-paddled the entire Tennessee River system. That was quite an adventure. When I was growing up, my family went canoe camping on the Tennessee and several East Tennessee lakes every year. We built a fiberglass, 18' lake canoe to help in those journeys.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Longtime paddler since 1970. Good exercise, great adventure, very calming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2549.JPG (23.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8230.jpg (34.3 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 07-22-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

RP, I'm a retired paddler, primarily sit in sea kayaks.
Loved the years camping and kayaking. Gulf coast, West coast, Atlantic, and many inland lakes and rivers across the country. Very fond memories for me, and just realized there are no photos left.
We have 2 sit on top play boats now, mainly used by the kids when they visit. The peaceful quiet and ability to get into super shallow water still makes me quite happy...keep saying that I want to kayak fish, so maybe it will happen.
BTW, great images Tinnitus and RP.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The infusion of cash from purging guitars has helped to propel me back into flatwater (lakes, big creeks and slow rivers) paddling. Who else is a paddler? I purchased a Native Watercraft Ultimate FX12, kind of a canoe/kayak hybrid. I also ordered a trailer to haul it - my hefting heavy stuff onto the roof of my car is a distant memory...

That's a great choice - Native Watercraft makes great hulls that are very stable. They aren't the lightest, but they are very well made and should last forever if you keep it out of the sun or covered when not using it! Enjoy - I find solo paddling to be one of the most relaxing things I do! Here's my P&H Orion 17' sea kayak, which gets lots of use on Tampa Bay and in the Gulf of Mexico.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210501_002706663.NIGHT (3).jpg (23.3 KB, 159 views)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

nice boat Mak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
That's a great choice - Native Watercraft makes great hulls that are very stable. They aren't the lightest, but they are very well made and should last forever if you keep it out of the sun or covered when not using it! Enjoy - I find solo paddling to be one of the most relaxing things I do! Here's my P&H Orion 17' sea kayak, which gets lots of use on Tampa Bay and in the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
nice boat Mak!
Thanks! It's going on almost 20 years old, and the fiberglass hull is still as solid as new! Has a few battle scars, but a swift boat that is more stable than you might expect! Derek Hutchinson knows how to design a seaworthy hull, that's for sure. It's not the fastest in rough water, but on calm days, this 46 lb yak glides and turns with the best of them! I just re-rigged it and replaced all the hatch covers about 6 months ago.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

RP: One suggestion - get the lightest paddle you can afford! It makes it much more enjoyable, & much like a good setup on a guitar, the difference is astounding. The farther you paddle, the more a really good paddle will help! Especially if you have any kind of shoulder / rotator cuff issues (or don't want to develop one).
Old 07-22-2022, 11:49 AM

Couple of Wilderness Systems Pungo 120s here.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Great advice on the paddle, and likewise invest in a really good life vest made for kayaking/paddling.

Quote:
RP: One suggestion - get the lightest paddle you can afford! It makes it much more enjoyable, & much like a good setup on a guitar, the difference is astounding. The farther you paddle, the more a really good paddle will help! Especially if you have any kind of shoulder / rotator cuff issues (or don't want to develop one).
Old 07-22-2022, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

I recently bought some CO2 inflatable life vests for Mrs. Tinnitus and me. Unlike the bulky padded flotation jackets we've had for years, we don't even notice we have these on. Much less (like zero) temptation to take them off on a hot day.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by tinnitus; 07-22-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion....

Just curious, how many of you have more than one boat???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-25-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Hi Randy,

Man! That looks like fun! I would love to get back into that sport myself!

- Glenn
Old 07-25-2022, 10:50 PM

I live right on the Columbia river in Washington. I have an old 15' Alumacraft canoe. I got this idea from someone up at Takhlakh Lake (Mount Adams):

I removed the center thwart from my canoe and set a short folding camp chair in the middle. With a long (~6') kayak paddle I can maneuver the canoe solo pretty well on the Columbia, Yakima or Snake rivers nearby or on any lake. More comfortable than many kayaks I've tried, much easier and more comfortable than the standard kneeling position for solo canoeing and more stable and tracks better than sitting on the aft seat and alternating strokes with a canoe paddle.

I have a folding carrier with bicycle tires that I strap to the canoe and I can roll it to the riverbank, put in with the carrier folded up in the bow and paddle around.

We also have a few SUP's but I like my "kayakanoe" more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic