The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-22-2022, 05:44 PM

A RAT2, a KTR, and a homebrew klone and.homebrew RAT with 3 different chips (switchable).
The KTR is on almost all the time - it’s a good thickener.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:34 AM

I bought a Boss MT-2 many years ago and almost instantly hated it. I tried to like it but could not. So it got tossed in my used pedal bin for like 6 or 7 years when I learned about modding. I went with the Allums mod kit. Modded the pedal and now it's the best sounding dirt pedal I have and will never part with it. And I have tried some very expensive dirt pedals too.

I still have my TS-9 from the 80's too and can't seem to part with that one. The TS-9 into the MT-2 sounds gritty too.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

…nothing but Benson dirt pedals for me these days…all three of them….….mainly because they work so well with Benson amps….but I’ve had multiple pedals and major flings with dirt pedals by Barber, Lovepedal, T Jauernig, J Rokett, Hermida, Mad Professor, Jetter, Wampler, Keeley, Analogman and a few more I can’t recall….
Old 06-23-2022, 05:17 PM

Greer Lightspeed is my low gain unit. It’s able to add mild distortion to a completely transparent guitar sound. I can set it so playing lightly I can hear NO difference on or off - the overdrive just comes as I dig in. It’s full-on overdrive is better again. Turning it off is my special effect.

An Earthquakes Plumes is my new medium gain that I stack with the Lightspeed - it’s almost as transparent and with a easy on the ears distortion (3rd option) that does not double the Lightspeed’s distortion tone.
However .. I just added it and have not giggled with it yet, and we all know that’s different to sitting at home. Still I think I can predict it’ll be a nice combo.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I watched lots of reviews - this was the one that really sold me on it. Actually trying it out on a visit to Sweetwater sealed the deal.

I finally ordered one of these TC Zeus pedals from Sweetwater. I am really looking forward to trying it out!!!

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I finally ordered one of these TC Zeus pedals from Sweetwater. I am really looking forward to trying it out!!!

- Glenn
Glenn, looking forward to your review. TC Electronics has some quality pedals and this one is very affordable, much like the EHX Soul Food that I have.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Dru!

I won't get it until the middle of next week, but I am pretty curious how this will work for me. I love the sounds from that video that David linked!

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2022, 05:28 PM

Another vote for the BD-2. I’ve had mine for years and I’ve always come back to it. It just works. Love it with my Strat but plugging my single P90 Tele into it is next level filth. Something that much fun should be illegal at my age.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:20 PM

BD-2 and OCD on my board.
I'm (mostly) playing a Les Paul through a Blues Jr. and the BD-2 is almost always on, just love what it brings to the sound.
Epiphone Dot
Old 07-09-2022, 10:46 PM

Default Your "Go To" dirt pedal

The one that engages the OD channel on my Bugera V22 - all tubes/all the time, the way it was done back in the day...
Old 07-10-2022, 05:11 AM

A Hudson Broadcast for my telecaster and my ES335 likes the Mythos Parklane Drive.

I also use Mythos Golden Fleece and Mjolnir Klon clone.

Last edited by welshruss; 07-16-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

There's a faithful Klon pedal clone available as a DIY kit from StewMac HERE

After reading the customer reviews I bought 2 and am building one for myself and one for a friend.

The kit comes with a 40 page step by step assembly manual. If you can solder then you should have no problem building this pedal.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:46 AM

I love boost/overdrive/distortion and I have a variety of these types of pedals, but 3 of my favorites are:
1. ThorpyFX - PeaceKeeper
2. Mad Professor - Supreme (Dual overdrive)
3. Vemuram - Shanks ODS-1
Old 07-10-2022, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post

After reading the customer reviews I bought 2 and am building one for myself and one for a friend.

The kit comes with a 40 page step by step assembly manual. If you can solder then you should have no problem building this pedal.
Hi Al,

I'll be interested to hear how you like this Stew-Mac Klon clone pedal when you get it all put together. I studied that kit quite a bit when it first came out, but my eyes have gotten so bad lately, I worried that I'd mess it up.

I hope you enjoy the kit and love the pedal when you get it together!

- Glenn
Old 07-10-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post

Al, that's a great project to take on. Looking forward to your review (and hopefully your friend gives you feedback as well).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars