The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-12-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Bluegrass and electric bass

I bet just the thread title has traditionalists banging their fists, and I may be part of that school of thought....but....at a local "Folk Music Festival" this weekend, there was mostly some variation of bluegrass or string bands, playing more modern arrangements. (not sure if it has a name, or if it just falls under the umbrella of 'Americana'). In any case, one of the biggest departures from traditional BG was replacing the upright bass with an electric bass. I gotta say, it added a whole new dimension to the music, that was very pleasing. I noticed it most prominently with traditional BG songs, that you're used to hearing the upright bass line.

I normally try not to categorize music, because all of my favorite songs/artists never fit into any one genre, but this new string-band with bass is really appealing. Maybe I'm just catching up with the times...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-12-2022, 04:06 PM

I know Jim and Jesse used electric bass in their band quite a bit. Don't think it really makes any difference as long as it's playing the traditional BG 1 5 1 5 1 5. Anything fancier & you're getting into Newgrass territory though.

Last edited by frankmcr; 06-12-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Hot Rize bassist Nick Forster has played a P-bass as long as I’ve been watching them….that’s over 40 years…
Old 06-12-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I bet just the thread title has traditionalists banging their fists, and I may be part of that school of thought....but....at a local "Folk Music Festival" this weekend, there was mostly some variation of bluegrass or string bands, playing more modern arrangements. (not sure if it has a name, or if it just falls under the umbrella of 'Americana'). In any case, one of the biggest departures from traditional BG was replacing the upright bass with an electric bass. I gotta say, it added a whole new dimension to the music, that was very pleasing. I noticed it most prominently with traditional BG songs, that you're used to hearing the upright bass line.

I normally try not to categorize music, because all of my favorite songs/artists never fit into any one genre, but this new string-band with bass is really appealing. Maybe I'm just catching up with the times...
"Newgrass", the modernized term.

I've played electric bass in Cajun, Old Time, and Bluegrass bands for quite a few years, mostly because it's so practical. When I played a lot of bass I also kept a 3/4 size upright for the gigs that required a "traditional" arrangement of instrumentation.

The progressive old time band I played bass in also had a very good percussionist that played Dumbek and Djambe. I total dug the groove and it was generally well-received. Our clawhammer banjo player played a very innovative version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-12-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:04 PM

If the bass player has a bass player's mindset and isn't just a guitarist who has a bass and know where the notes are, I'm fine with it.

Couch Standards
Old 06-13-2022, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Oh, dont get me wrong, I really liked the sound. The electric bass holds the notes longer, rather than the thump-thump of a stand-up. Really gave a whole new sound, that was good.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-13-2022, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If the bass player has a bass player's mindset and isn't just a guitarist who has a bass and know where the notes are, I'm fine with it.
So if the bass has a whammy bar, that would be a negative?

Frankly, I think it goes beyond that. The bassist has to understand what the music needs in term of tone and definitely has to cut way back on the highs and to limit the ring of the notes. Very good electric bass players are adept at mimicking the sound of an upright using their hands alone, but a mute of some sort can also be employed. I am not exactly a Bluegrass aficionado, but it does irk me to hear an electric being used in it played with a pick with all the highs included.

However, I recently heard a Bluegrass band in Gatlinburg in which a young lady was playing a Kala U-bass through an amp. It was a very impressive simulation of an upright.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:23 AM

T. Michael Coleman played elec. bass for many years in a trio with Doc and Merle Watson. I don't know if Doc's music is considered "bluegrass" but he certainly was the real deal however he is categorized.

Last edited by Jim I; 06-13-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
So if the bass has a whammy bar, that would be a negative?

Frankly, I think it goes beyond that. The bassist has to understand what the music needs in term of tone and definitely has to cut way back on the highs and to limit the ring of the notes.
Limit the ring of the notes? An upright is going to sustain and the notes are going to "bloom" even if you don't want them to. You can play a note on an upright and instantly mute it, but the sound of the note will keep going, bouncing around in that doghouse.

Couch Standards
Old 06-13-2022, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Limit the ring of the notes? An upright is going to sustain and the notes are going to "bloom" even if you don't want them to. You can play a note on an upright and instantly mute it, but the sound of the note will keep going, bouncing around in that doghouse.
Sorry, disagree. Listen to the attack in relation to the decay. How do you mimic an upright? Me, I mute the note.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:50 PM

The first Bluegrass group I ever heard was Red, White, & Blue(grass) in 1974 - fantastic group with Grant Boatwright leading and they were the headliners. Their bass player used an electric while every other group there had a stand-up bass. I asked why they could get away with that and the response was simple; they were the headliners and it's easier to travel with an electric than it is with a stand-up bass.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 06-14-2022, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
it's easier to travel with an electric than it is with a stand-up bass.
That wouldnt stop some travellers from cramming them into an overhead bin…
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-15-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim I View Post
T. Michael Coleman played elec. bass for many years in a trio with Doc and Merle Watson. I don't know if Doc's music is considered "bluegrass" but he certainly was the real deal however he is categorized.
Strictly speaking Doc's music isn't Bluegrass, and he never referred to it as such. Still he played with countless BG bands and recorded with Bill Monroe and Flatt & Scruggs among others. His music transcends mere labels, is best just called Doc music. But his influence on lead guitar playing among BG pickers is massive.
As for bass in BG, the argument was pretty much settled decades ago. Prominent band leaders like Doyle Lawson and J.D. Crowe have used electrics some of the time, and it comes down to simple practicality, on travel issues.
Personally I prefer the standup Bass, but can live with electric and also the newer acoustic Bass which many groups now use.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:53 AM

I love the sound of upright bass, and that goes double when there are arco passages. But that said, electric bass guitar mixes very well with acoustic instruments -- and as many have said upthread, there are a lot of practical advantages when gigging.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-15-2022, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

There’s been plenty of bands that use electric bass effectively in Bluegrass but if you’re wanting to hear some great rhythmic slap style bass playing you probably ain’t gonna hear it on a standard electric. An electric upright otoh can get it done.

Last edited by J Patrick; 06-15-2022 at 05:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN