The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-15-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

If you have more than one acoustic, the Sageworks is a great piece of kit.

It really isn’t that expensive, the Umbra (not wood) is well made, and you can get additional magnets. The Umbra and one set of extra magnets is comparable in price to 2 x ergoplay.

I use it on two guitar and it simply swaps from one to the next. The magnets stay in place and the the adjustment on the support itself is the same, so no fiddling at all.

I store it magnetically attached to my music stand, pop it in the guitar in about 2 second and am good to go.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the sageworks, I use mine just like Jamolay describes.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:26 AM

I've had an original Barnette rest (now Sage) on my Hoffman for several years but it is getting work out an the joints will no longer tighten.

Although the Sage did work, the deep waist of the Hoffman made the unit prone to collapse if too much downward pressure was applied so I'm interested in finding another solution, one that would likely involve suction cups that I do know will harm the Hoffman's finish. Can cling-on film be used as a barrier between the finish and the suction cups of does the film also damage a nitrocellulose finish? Also, does the film lift off the guitar when removing the suction cups?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 06-23-2022, 10:06 AM

@lpa53,

I wouldn't bother with suction cups. If I had not been committed to Sagework, I'd definitely check out the Murata GR-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
the joints will no longer tighten.
I'm not sure what you mean, but these photos may help. The 'white' piece is cut from a pair of disposable chopsticks from a Japanese restaurant. In this photo, I leave it 'white' so it's easy to see. But in other copies of my Sagework support, it's painted black.

Photo 1
Photo 2

Also, I was able to make the Sagework to work with my Sinsonido without modifying the Sagework nor the Sinsonido. I ran out of black heat-shrink tubing so one leg is still uncovered.

Photo 3
Photo 4

Last edited by pentaprism; 06-23-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaprism View Post
@lpa53,

I wouldn't bother with suction cups. If I had not been committed to Sagework, I'd definitely check out the Murata GR-2

I'm not sure what you mean, but these photos may help. The 'white' piece is cut from a pair of disposable chopsticks from a Japanese restaurant. In this photo, I leave it 'white' so it's easy to see. But in other copies of my Sagework support, it's painted black.
My Sage is the wood version and that the wood that holds the allen-head screws has cacked and broken and those will no longer tighten. They make replacement parts and I have thought of getting the non-wood versions, that but there's still the problem of this device's instability in a deep waist between the bouts.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 07-06-2022, 07:08 AM

I’ve used my cushion for a while now, and it’s all right. I’ve been usin’ it with its strap, which is a bother, but I’ve noticed that most users don’t have or use the strap. I’m gonna try that again.

Right now, I’m back to using the foot rest (works okay too), but I recently viewed some videos about usin’ a strap! It seems to me that it’s an ideal answer to the problem. Of course, it’s not “Classical”, but I’m probably not gonna be givin’ any concerts for at least 20 years or so, and no one but my poor wife’ll ever see or hear me ‘til then. I’m also tiring of CG’s fussiness . . .

I think I’m gonna put a strap button on the lower bout.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:41 AM

Default Five Stars on the Sagework

As far as supports go I too recommend the Sagework support. I use it in my Burguet. I have tried the suction cup supports... not a big fan of those. Most suction cup supports lack a large degree of adjustments My Sagework allows me to angle the tilt not to mention the height adjustments.

I purchased a second set of magnets to install in my Cordoba so when I change the strings in go the magnets.

About a year and a half ago I email Mason Williams on what he uses when he plays and he said he made an over shoulder sling that gently cradles his guitars. Here's him explaining on the Y-tube... https://youtu.be/uCnTX8Ost1k .... his sling is a neat idea, and with the right material you wont mar the body or finish.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
I've got a Dynarette cushion and at least two "mechanical" supports, as well as a couple of fold up foot rests. Never had a problem with my back (or other body parts) with a foot rest, but found a better solution (for me). I use a shoe shine box, similar to the picture below, picked them up for a few $$$ at tag sales (some even still had polish and stuff in them). In my case, their height is just right, but the ones with the risers on the bottom can be easily replaced or altered, probably even find a way to have removeable and replaceable feet. Won't collapse like a folding stand, and there's room inside for extra strings, small tools, a tuner, etc.
After considering all options presented in this thread I read yours and pulled out my old solid wood shoe shine kit and dang, it sure does work. Nice and stable, and you can adjust height by different foot placement on the rest. You can also put things within reach on the flat top…tuner, etc. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-25-2022, 10:55 PM

Yeah, Architar, I thought the shoe shine box was a great idea too. My leg cushion is too thick and not adjustable, and my foot stand wobbles. I’ve crushed it a couple of times. So neither really gets the job done. I’m still thinkin’ about a guitar strap.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:01 PM

I'm excited to check out the Woodside guitar support. Finally, something that ticks all the boxes for me.

My guitar has a tapered body, so the Murata is out for me because it requires a parallel top/back soundbox construction. It's french polish, so suction cups are out. And I'm not installing magnets into the guitar. Footstools exacerbated chronic pain issues.

I was previously going to try the strap method by the classical gas dude but I don't think it works very well with a cutaway.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that the Woodside will do the trick...

Last edited by ethanay; 12-07-2022 at 10:16 PM. Reason: brain not work so good
Old 12-08-2022, 09:43 PM

In addition to the Woodside, there's this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/6009465...the-clamps-for

Which also works on tapered guitars and is clamp-based.

It's made in and ships from the Ukraine...so they are saying to expect delivery delays. But it also looks like a great option.

I might try both of them. the HB Basic looks pretty stable and a very rugged design. The Woodside looks much more adjustable, but has a lot more "moving parts"
Old 12-08-2022, 09:47 PM

Another reason why I wouldn't like something like the magnets is that I tend to modify my playing position quite a bit. Sometimes I'm in strict classical. Sometimes I have the guitar on the right knee. Sometimes the neck is angled high, sometimes it's angled more horizontally. These adjustments often require a different attachment point...how easy is it to move the magnets around?
Old 12-08-2022, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I use the De Oro neck up devices. Took me a bit to get used to them as I like using straps on my guitars. I was using a strap on my classicals, using suction cups to hold the strap in place which worked fine, but the Gitano devices get the guitars in a better position and they can be easily adjusted. My feet are both on the floor and relaxed.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 02-03-2023 at 02:43 PM. Reason: wrong brand
Old 02-03-2023, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use the De Oro neck up devices. Took me a bit to get used to them as I like using straps on my guitars. I was using a strap on my classicals, using suction cups to hold the strap in place which worked fine, but the Gitano devices get the guitars in a better position and they can be easily adjusted. My feet are both on the floor and relaxed.
The battle of holding the guitar returned though after a while. The guitar still tended to slide forward on my leg and from time to time the suction cups failed. I put a strap back on the C5 today, I'll get a cloth to put under the De Oro that I use on the Fusion and watch which chair I use to play.

One thing I have to say is that when using the guitar strap, my back doesn't hurt. With the neck up, I tended to lean to the fretboard side of the guitar to help lock the guitar in place and the right side of my back would ache after a while. Maybe the friction cloth will help, I'll report back.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-03-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The guitar still tended to slide forward on my leg....
This can happen with any guitar support device. It happens to me with the Sagework as well.

To prevent the "sliding forward," I use a thin cord, one end tied to the back of the chair (or to a belt loop of my pants), the other hooked on to the support. I make the cord length-adjustable so that it can be used for different chairs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical