The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Oh I disagree! He was the master of exposure manipulation during the print process, dodging and burning each part of the image to very precise degrees. I think Lightroom would have been a joy to him. Here’s a good read:

https://www.haroldhallphotography.co...and-group-f64/

He used every trick at his disposal. I think it would be amazing to see what he’d have done. He started playing with color but hated giving control to the print shop. Today he’d have had full control.

I would speculate he’d be a strong proponent of making prints, and keeping that as a huge part of the process.
I agree, and FWIW, I thought your framing and processing of the B&W Half Dome image was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. The Zone III sky is right out of the Ansel Adams playbook as is the composition of a mountain rising from the floor of the image.

The article you cited is really good. I had an opportunity to view the unmanipulated version of Moonrise when Ansel came to DC in 1980 to push his book "Yosemite and the Range of Light". His masterful post-processing turned a really dull image into a classic. I think he would have been all over Photoshop as an image processing tool. But, he wouldn't have indulged the the kind of cut-and-paste theatrics of many contemporary photographers. I keep a copy of "Philmont Scout Ranch--Thunderstorm over the Great Plains" above my framing table to remind myself what real imaging processing looks like.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Oh I disagree! He was the master of exposure manipulation during the print process, dodging and burning each part of the image to very precise degrees. I think Lightroom would have been a joy to him. Here’s a good read:

https://www.haroldhallphotography.co...and-group-f64/

He used every trick at his disposal. I think it would be amazing to see what he’d have done. He started playing with color but hated giving control to the print shop. Today he’d have had full control.

I would speculate he’d be a strong proponent of making prints, and keeping that as a huge part of the process.
that was kind of tongue in cheek Dirk!

I know all about Ansel, and his techniques, I've read a few of his books. I was huge into black and white landscapes when I had a darkroom.

It's like when they asked Segovia about electric guitars,, wasn't a fan!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-29-2022, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

I know all about Ansel, and his techniques, I've read a few of his books. I was huge into black and white landscapes when I had a darkroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I agree, and FWIW, I thought your framing and processing of the B&W Half Dome image was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. The Zone III sky is right out of the Ansel Adams playbook as is the composition of a mountain rising from the floor of the image.

The article you cited is really good. I had an opportunity to view the unmanipulated version of Moonrise when Ansel came to DC in 1980 to push his book "Yosemite and the Range of Light". His masterful post-processing turned a really dull image into a classic. I think he would have been all over Photoshop as an image processing tool. But, he wouldn't have indulged the the kind of cut-and-paste theatrics of many contemporary photographers. I keep a copy of "Philmont Scout Ranch--Thunderstorm over the Great Plains" above my framing table to remind myself what real imaging processing looks like.
Well thanks! The oak tree being so hard to pick out bugs me. The sky I’m very happy with, and love the small snow field on top of the dome.

I agree with you on post processing and some of the issues. Excessive HDR, sky replacement, and wildly over saturated stuff I just don’t get, but it sure is popular. I generally like to keep things more tethered to reality but it’s all subjective. I guess I have Galen Rowell’s comments on editing in the back of my head. I think he was a little too austere but I like the idea of trying to stay within contact of what I actually saw in the scene. It I’ll admit for some stuff like action, I like to stylize it a bit.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-04-2022 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

Whoa !!! What are you saying ? That this was photoshopped ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-04-2022, 11:37 AM

Sigh. This is not a black and white photo. Where's my spring?

and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-04-2022, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

We’ve been spending a few days with my son and his wife in New Jersey. We visited Drake’s Farm, in Hillsborough, a few days ago, where, among other things, they have an Orchid House. Here are a few examples of the extraordinary beauty and variety of these plants.

DO01010597.jpg
DO01010601.jpg
DO01010621.jpg
DO01010624.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-04-2022, 05:05 PM

The old 93...an old steam engine in Eli, Nevada. We got to take a day trip on it, somewhere I also have a few pretty decent shots of it on another day when it was just passing by...

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 04-05-2022, 08:42 AM

Default Test Upload

Hi all. New to the site. Thought I'd try to upload a picture I took from an airshow a few weeks ago just to see how this works.

Last edited by Rick_In_Tampa; 04-05-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:55 AM

Nice shot Rick - and welcome!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 04-05-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
Nice shot Rick - and welcome!
Thanks Keith! I appreciate the welcome. Looking forward to contributing as best I can, while learning from the pro's on here.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
Yay! I love these threads!!

This is a sunset over the Tetons a couple years ago. About the only good thing about what has seemingly become yearly huge fires is that the smoke tends to make pretty sunsets.

I could do without the fires though...
Beautiful picture. Beautiful subject matter!
Old 04-05-2022, 02:10 PM

Our 17 month old Rotty "Mongo" wants to play ball..

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 04-05-2022, 02:38 PM

If he wants the ball, he's got the ball!! He can have whatever else he wants too!

Thanks for your service by the way.

Retired Air Force myself. 1982-2004.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Rick_In_Tampa... beautiful shot of the Blue Angels! FA-18E Super Hornets. But you were Air Force... where's your pic of the Thunderbirds?!
Old 04-05-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Rick_In_Tampa... beautiful shot of the Blue Angels! FA-18E Super Hornets. But you were Air Force... where's your pic of the Thunderbirds?!
Thank you Sir! I know.... I miss my Thunderbirds. The last time I saw them was when I was stationed at Dover AFB in Delaware back in the late 80's to mid 90's. My guess is that the Blue Angels do Florida airshows since they're based in Pensacola.

The real thrill for me was being able to get on a C-5 again. For 9 of my 22 years I was a mission planner for the C-5 unit at Dover. Been all around the world on that big beautiful lady. I really miss it. It was my first time on a C-5 in 26 years, and I got to share it with my grandkids which made it extra special for me.

Sorry... I can babble on forever about airplanes.

I took over 900 pictures that day, and 149 of them came out pretty nice. I put them all on flickr this morning so I could post one on here. Never used flickr before and I'm new to this site. But if there's interest, I'll see if I can figure out how to post a link to the flickr folder. If that's allowed!

P.S. Fun fact - My first assignment was to a KC-135 tanker unit at Carswell AFB in Ft Worth Texas. My boss sent me up on an air-refueling mission to get me oriented to our "mission." I was quite thrilled when the receiver aircraft that showed up were the Thunderbirds. I got to lay down in the boom pod in back and watch each of them come up and get some gas. Very cool way to start a 22 year career.

Last edited by Rick_In_Tampa; 04-05-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic