The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-04-2022, 07:42 AM

Default An Olympics competitor to watch out for.

Anna grew up in our small ski club where I was a director and she made it without any of the resources most top athletes have. Her parents have been exceptionally supportive to the whole club with 600+ kids and not the typical stereotypes associated with some talented kids.

My wife has also taught some of the kids in the family and they stood out as quality people.

My interest in the club started with self-interest - what we like to do - but it became a super cool mission to support all the activities, work the facilities, and help the many programs we have. If Anna doesn't win a medal, she and her family get one for being extraordinary volunteers and helpers and doing so much more just via our small and relatively ghetto facility.

I'll be watching for news or events just because of the special privilege it's been knowing this family. Good luck Anna!

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/ann...representation
Old 02-04-2022, 09:36 AM

Wow, ty. Great story

I love the Olympics.. .how everyone gets along together is nice and the sports are things I never get to see. Ski jumping.......yikes! She is the courageous one!
Old 02-04-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Wow, ty. Great story

I love the Olympics.. .how everyone gets along together is nice and the sports are things I never get to see. Ski jumping.......yikes! She is the courageous one!
I saw this posted and could not help by smile because I remember her as a grade school kid on our 5 and 15 meter jumps at an old school ghetto DIY ski club. It's extra special for the family being such humble and decent people.

Here's our 5 meter jump where the kids start, and where she was this AM.

For Anna instead of visualizing athletes jetting around, visualize our club parents driving thousands and thousands of miles in an older Suburban full of kids followed by an old Ford pickup full of gear. Instead of being at famous Olympics and sports areas, competing at old school ski clubs time mostly passed by. Best wishes Anna!

Old 02-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Was watching the women's ski jump coverage a few minutes ago, and although she didn't advance, your friend Anna was introduced to the viewers and we were able to see her jump. And because of your thread I knew more about her than I would have otherwise!
You have to be an elite athlete just to make it on an Olympic team. She and her family should be very proud.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic