The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-12-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Hey now! I think we're getting somewhere! I think!

Have you played through one of these? https://www.fire-eye.com/red-eye-1
I have a couple questions.

1.) I need the tone (treble) control to work with boost on or off. Does it do both?

2.) Can I use that 1/4" effects loop output for a simple guitar cable output into any old amp (without actually looping), or must I use the XLR output to a mixer or PA? Hoping to have the option.

Too late to call tonight, I'll phone Fire-Eye tomorrow and see what they say. $195 on Amazon.

-------------------------------------------
BTW, something separate I learned today while I was pedal shopping:

Most of those cute new mini pedals (Tube Screamer, chorus, tuner, etc.) are only 1.5" wide, and do NOT have the traditional 9V battery cavity. They all need an external power source (standard pedalboard voltage/plugs). Looks like the Red Eye swings both ways.
I have used the RedEye2 and still own it. Identical features like RedEye1 but 2-channel.
It's an absolute amazing piece of gear and makes it all easy. And it will cover all needs you asked for in your thread: Boost is post EQ (treble control), effects loop out can feed an amp/personal monitor ..., runs on both 9V and external phantom power via XLR.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 01-12-2022, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I have used the RedEye2 and still own it. Identical features like RedEye1 but 2-channel.
It's an absolute amazing piece of gear and makes it all easy. And it will cover all needs you asked for in your thread: Boost is post EQ (treble control), effects loop out can feed an amp/personal monitor ..., runs on both 9V and external phantom power via XLR.
Thanks, that covers exactly what I was going to ask Fire Eye when they opened up. I like the simplicity of the Red Eye.

Previously tried something else, a big green Zoom A2.1U pedal hoping it would cover my simple needs (a basic EQ that works with or without boost) - and apparently more, LOL.
- Effect Types: 47
- Effect Modules: 8
- Maximum Simultaneous Effects: 8
- Patch Memory: User 40+Preset 40, Total 80
I patiently worked with it for hours between practice sessions. Pretty much gave up after realizing it required too much attention and time-consuming tweaking lest I end up having to click my way around between sounds. "Let's see, 'dry' was 7 clicks back, and 'slight reverb' was 9 clicks forward. Oops! That's not it... wait!" I never enjoyed going to practice and standing (silently) while people play with similar multi-function gadgets, and I refuse to do that to others.

Not saying it won't work for players with more smarts/patience than I possess.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:03 PM

+1 on the GE 7
Old 01-12-2022, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the recommendations. What I'm trying to accomplish is EQ settings working all the time - with boost on or off. Step on the pedal here and there to add a slight bit of boost for a few bars, then step again and it's back to EQ without any boost.

Just spoke with a helpful guy at Sweetwater who explained that EQ and Level on the Boss GE7 only work at the same time. However you adjust them manually, they're both on or both off. So with the GE7 I'd need a separate boost pedal to have EQ all the time and boost on call.

Starting to look like a Fire Eye Red Eye is the only (simple) single pedal that will allow:
- EQ [treble adjust] on, boost off
- Boost on, EQ off (neutral position)

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-12-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looking online, I see the Level slide on the far right. Does EQ part of the Boss GE7 only work when you turn the pedal on illuminating the red light?

What I'm trying to accomplish is EQ on all the time - pedal on or off. Then engage the pedal (red light) here and there for just a slight bit of boost.

Just plowed through a couple dozen reviews and didn't see an answer to that.
Hi tinnitus, Eq and level only work when engaged, red light on.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-12-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. What I'm trying to accomplish is EQ settings working all the time - with boost on or off. Step on the pedal here and there to add a slight bit of boost for a few bars, then step again and it's back to EQ without any boost.

Just spoke with a helpful guy at Sweetwater who explained that EQ and Level on the Boss GE7 only work at the same time. However you adjust them manually, they're both on or both off.

Starting to look like a Fire Eye Red Eye is the only simple single pedal that will allow:
- EQ [treble adjust] on, boost off (neutral position)
- Boost on, EQ off (neutral position)

Fair point. I never turn my GE 7 off, except by accident lol
Old 01-12-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the Red Eye. Amazing little box and does what you want.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi tinnitus, Eq and level only work when engaged, red light on.
Thanks JRICC! Yeah, that's what I learned from one of the big dealers I phoned today. Luckily, they hire lots of young players who need day jobs and some of them are quite familiar with instruments, recording gear, pedals, etc. Kid knew his stuff.

I went a step further and phoned the guy who makes Red Eyes in his little shop near Austin. He confirms that EQ and Boost can be used independently. EQ works with boost on or off (exactly what I'm after), and boost is controlled with the single button. That functionality makes this pedal unique.

He also confirmed the effects loop out (1/4" jack) can be used as a simple output to any regular amp/PA. Or I can use the XLR.

So it's starting to look like a there's a Red Eye in my future!

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-13-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks JRICC! Yeah, that's what I learned from one of the big dealers I phoned today. Luckily, they hire lots of young players who need day jobs and some of them are quite familiar with instruments, recording gear, pedals, etc. Kid knew his stuff.

I went a step further and phoned the guy who makes Red Eyes in his little shop near Austin. He confirms that EQ and Boost can be used independently. EQ works with boost on or off (exactly what I'm after), and boost is controlled with the single button. That functionality makes this pedal unique.

He also confirmed the effects loop out (1/4" jack) can be used as a simple output to any regular amp/PA. Or I can use the XLR.

So it's starting to look like a there's a Red Eye in my future!
Bumping an old thread to see what you went for in the end? It seems odd to me to opt for a one-pedal solution where 2 pedals would give you more choices and more flexibility. As others have said, a dedicated EQ pedal, and a separate, dedicated Boost pedal seems like the natural choice.

If it were me, for the boost, I'd opt for the TC Electronic Spark Mini Boost. I have the full-size Spark and rate it highly. That said, Boost is a fairly simple circuit so there're plenty of options, including some excellent low-cost options. Then, for EQ, if the Red Eye fits the bill - and a single EQ knob suffices, then maybe a Boss GE7 is overkill. If a 5 or 7 slider EQ is not needed, there are loads of pedals that include 2 or 3 EQ dials - eg the full-size TC Electronic Spark, or any number of overdrives, where you could turn the gain/boost/level down and only utilise the EQ functionality. Even something inexpensive like the Behringer ADI21 would fit the bill (and gives you the XLR as well). That seems like exactly what you need for $50.

Last edited by -GF-; 08-02-2022 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:09 AM

Grace Design Felix does just this ... very good EQ and adjustable boost ...
It's not cheap ... but it's a fabulous bit of kit, makes all sorts of acoustic instruments with K&K pickups sound good to me...
Old 08-02-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I recently started rehearsing acoustic duo stuff (through a PA) with another player and we agree that some simple boost pedals would help us each stand out in the mix for a moment when we take turns playing short lead guitar passages.

I already have that green Zoom thing but I don't much like it. WAY too many preset sounds and awkward adjustments, most of which I don't like. I've wasted more time fussing with settings than actually playing though it

What uncomplicated on/off stomp-boxes do you guys and gals use to simply boost your signal 10% for a few seconds?

An added bonus would be a simple 3-4 band EQ in the same pedal that's always working whether the boost is on or off.

Appreciate any recommendations - thanks!
My Boss AD10 does this and the preamp sounds great. It also adds a looper, delay, chorus, compression, reverb, acoustic resonance and I forget what else.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:23 AM

Default Fire Eye & Platinum Stage

The answer to both questions 1 & 2 below is yes for the Red Eye.
It sounds excellent if the single treble knob is enough EQ for you, that is, as long as your guitar’s pickup already sounds good going in.
If you need more EQ than the simple treble level control, the Fishman Platinum Stage will do what you ask plus have way more EQ flexibility.

The Red Eye actually swings three ways, as does the Platinum Stage.
Both can be powered from battery, external 9 volts or phantom power.

Cheers, _Roger

Quote:
Hey now! I think we're getting somewhere! I think!

1.) I need the tone (treble) control to work with boost on or off. Does it do both?

2.) Can I use that 1/4" effects loop output for a simple guitar cable output into any old amp (without actually looping), or must I use the XLR output to a mixer or PA? Hoping to have the option.

Too late to call tonight, I'll phone Fire-Eye tomorrow and see what they say. $195 on Amazon.

-------------------------------------------
BTW, something separate I learned today while I was pedal shopping:

Most of those cute new mini pedals (Tube Screamer, chorus, tuner, etc.) are only 1.5" wide, and do NOT have the traditional 9V battery cavity. They all need an external power source (standard pedalboard voltage/plugs). Looks like the Red Eye swings both ways.

Last edited by RogerPease; 08-02-2022 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

It'll be the Red-eye pedal for sure. My aim is one-pedal simplicity with only two functions. I used to have one of those multi-effect gizmos. Waaay too many factory pre-set sounds that I had to cycle through if I accidentally tapped one time too many. For simplicity's sake, the Red-eye is the one I want/need.

But now that's moved somewhere into the future. Sadly, that acoustic duo endeavor took an all-too-familiar turn just 3-4 practices in. Musical tastes were sufficiently divergent that I'd have to replace ALL of my favorite tunes with his favorite 3-4 chord ballads that simply never interested me. But I digress...

Wish me luck in finding a compatible partner willing to meet in the middle with roughly 50/50 tunes we both like. If it looks like that'll happen, I'll snag the Red-eye immediately.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
It'll be the Red-eye pedal for sure. My aim is one-pedal simplicity with only two functions. I used to have one of those multi-effect gizmos. Waaay too many factory pre-set sounds that I had to cycle through if I accidentally tapped one time too many. For simplicity's sake, the Red-eye is the one I want/need.

But now that's moved somewhere into the future. Sadly, that acoustic duo endeavor took an all-too-familiar turn just 3-4 practices in. Musical tastes were sufficiently divergent that I'd have to replace ALL of my favorite tunes with his favorite 3-4 chord ballads that simply never interested me. But I digress...

Wish me luck in finding a compatible partner willing to meet in the middle with roughly 50/50 tunes we both like. If it looks like that'll happen, I'll snag the Red-eye immediately.
Thanks for the update. I read a bit more about the RED-EYE and the amp and the company sound very decent - impressive customer service. Maybe ask them if they can provide the playing partner!
Old 08-03-2022, 04:42 AM

I have a Fire Eye Red Eye Twin. I give it five stars.
I had a platinum stage and it was great with a lot of features but I wanted a simpler unit with two guitar inputs. As others have said, reasonable EQ function with the boost for solos, it has very high technology and it’s built like a tank.
Darren, the owner and designer of the Fire Eye is absolutely a great channel of personable customer service and information. He gets five stars too!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification