The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Neck Reset Goya GG-161

Did my second neck reset on my Goya GG-161.

This is a much nicer guitar, so I wanted to be careful and do as good a job as I could. It turned out pretty well. I still need to make the cut on the heel a little straighter from the heel cap to the the fretboard. Other than that it all came out very well.

I learned from a few mistakes on the first reset, and hopefully have learned from them.

In the pictures you will see a home made jig for neck removal. It worked much better than trying to do it by hand. The neck just popped right up without any hassle after about 5 - 10 minutes of steam.

I wasn't lucky enough to get a Goya with a bolt on neck. This one is a dove tail, but the Goya has a hole in the neck block pre-drilled from the factory, so no need to remove a fret.

I didn't want to do a step by step, but just wanted to hit the highlights for posterity's sake.

I will show you one caveat in the next post. I can only post 10 pictures with each post.

Here are the pictures.

Goya GG-161 1971 Model
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ― Aristophanes
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

This is the caveat of doing this kind of work yourself.

Sometimes it is just as cheap to pay the Luthier as it is to do it on your own.

By the time I get the bill from Urgent Care for the stitches, the cost will be abou the same.

The moral is, to be very careful when using sharp wood chisels.

That one slip cost me the use of my pinkie finger on my left hand for 2 weeks. I feel very fortunate that no tendons, nerves or bones were damaged. It could have been much worse than the 6 stitches I got.

I'm still using my slide, but using it on my ring finger until this heals up completely.

Goya GG-161 1971 Model
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ― Aristophanes
Old 11-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Ouch!

It wasn't until I drove a chisel into my thumb that I could remember to never work towards my body parts....

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Ouch!

It wasn't until I drove a chisel into my thumb that I could remember to never work towards my body parts....
I knew better, just didn't follow what I knew.

I will now!

It's amazing just how sharp those wood chisels are.
Goya GG-161 1971 Model
Old 07-18-2022, 05:35 PM

Default I gotta Goya....thought it was a bolt on...NOPE!

Fortunately, I've done over 100 dovetail neck resets.
After looking inside this guitar and seeing a hole and NO BOLT
I thought it had been *******ized, but THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS INFO THAT THEY DID THIS ON DOVETAILS!!!
That saved me from cutting the fingerboard off at the 9th fret and removing that section just to see what was up ( you have to do this on Westbury Guilds
to dig out the no-void dovetail mortise)
I'm comfy removing the fret to get my steam needle in. In fact, I'll probably plug that hole in the neck block to prevent making a mess inside the guitar.
Now I can save this really clean Goya. Ive already scavenged the Van Ghent tuners from it to restore a Hagstrom electric, but those are kinda sucky anyway.
Looking forward to a normal steamout.
Again, THANKS FOR POSTING THIS,

an yeah, I did that once, too. Never point a chisel at your body parts, and keep them crazy sharp so you dont have to force them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair