The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My most expensive was about $3500. I doubt I'd spend much more than that.
Until you buy an LL56...
Old 08-11-2022, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

No. First, because that is way above what I would budget for my main hobby, and, secondly, I have yet to play a $20K guitar that sounded that much better than a guitar that I could get for $3K-$5K. However, I do own a guitar that I paid $5K for 18 years ago that would cost me $20K today.
If I had a ton of discretionary income and I wanted a custom guitar that sounded fabulous and I also wanted Brazilian rosewood or The Tree and have custom designed inlays and bevels, etc., maybe. But then again, maybe not. At the end of the day, it won’t make me a better musician than the guitars that I already own.
Best,
Jayne
Old 08-11-2022, 02:15 AM

I suppose at the $20K level you're essentially paying for "craftsmanship".

Personally, I couldn't justify this sort of spend on a guitar, just as I couldn't justify a $50k spend on the "craftsmanship" of a Patek Philippe watch. It may be a beautifully crafted watch but It won't tell the time better than a $3K Omega.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:21 AM

I'd far rather have eg 4 x $5000 guitars & have some variety - as a player, I'd find that much more inspiring.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:23 AM

$3,650 is the most I've paid for a new guitar. It was a great deal from a reputable dealer and sponsor here.

Bought another for $3,499; again a great price from a great dealer.

Those are my two priciest guitars. Quite happy! I see no need to top those.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 08-11-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:00 AM

If I had 20k of discretionary money laying around I would do something far more beneficial with it than waste it on my meager guitar playing skills.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:05 AM

The most I've paid is a little over $10,000. I can afford to pay more, but I'm at about my current comfort upper level. I paid that chasing a particular tone. I do believe that after you get above $6K the improvements become very subtle and very expensive. My Martin was about half the price of the Lowden, and it's a wonderful guitar.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-11-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Personally, I couldn't justify this sort of spend on a guitar, just as I couldn't justify a $50k spend on the "craftsmanship" of a Patek Philippe watch. It may be a beautifully crafted watch but It won't tell the time better than a $3K Omega.
My Seamaster was more like $5K, but you're not wrong. You'd probably get at least the same accuracy from a $10 Timex, and that's probably closer to the discussion at hand. Once you've purchased an Omega, or any guitar over $400, you're no longer in the "it works" category. And a $400 guitar absolutely does work, in fact many people are making fine music on $200 guitars.

I think the main issue (although not the only issue) is spending comfort level (out of necessity or psychology). There are people with tons of money who simply don't want to spend a lot of money on a guitar. Maybe it doesn't feel justified, or they don't particularly want to be responsible for taking care of something that expensive, or they don't experience any improvement in quality or their joy in playing it, or many other reasons only known to them.

People are complex, and often illogical. It keeps the world an interesting place. Some days too interesting, but here we are.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-11-2022, 06:27 AM

$20,000? I have trouble spending that on a new/used car!
Old 08-11-2022, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

*****************no**************

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-11-2022, 06:51 AM

I haven't even played a $20K guitar. Or even a guitar that was priced at $10K.

I've played a number of Goodalls and Santa Cruz guitars that are in the $7K - $8K range (new), but didn't buy them... They were great guitars!

I can get most of what I want from a guitar that costs less than $4K (especially if I look at used guitars). I have spent more than that on two occasions, and have contemplated spending more than that on several occasions, but I haven't held on to the pricier guitars for some reason...maybe just didn't feel there was enough bang for the buck after exploring what those guitars offered for a year or so.

I love that some people have such fine guitars, and that such fine guitars are available!
Old 08-11-2022, 07:01 AM

I haven't yet. Would I pay that for an Olson or Somogyi? Perhaps. Recently divorced and have kids, so probably not going to make that kind of move until the kids are done with college, which is going to be a while.

To be fair, I have a LOT of acoustics, electrics, and basses. I could easily have swung a $20k acoustic if I didn't have so much variety. I have a Wilborn on order, which will be the most I have ever spent. Still on the fence on upgrading the back/sides beyond EIR.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:04 AM

Oh no !!!
Would buy a new car instead !

The most I paid was four times less for a used MINT Collings !
Old 08-11-2022, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

If I had the disposable income to spend 20 grand on a guitar, I'd buy one for 2 and give the remaining 18 to my kids.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

$20,000 is too much in my mind for a guitar for me to spend. $9,000 - $10,000 maybe, but I have some decent guitars and it's tough to see how one more would really add anything to what I have.

Also, trying to play like I know what I'm doing can go a long way to what my guitars sound like.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion