The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2022, 07:37 PM

Default ES-Go pickup for my GS Mini

I'm starting to regret not getting a GS Mini with a built in pickup. Not to worry, though. Taylor has an answer in the ES-Go pickup, a single coil sound hole pickup designed specifically for the GS Mini (and currently out of stock EVERYWHERE). I've got a web request into Taylor so that they e-mail me as soon as they come back in stock. Meanwhile I have a few questions.

The ES-Go is a simple single coil sound hole pickup. No pre-amp. Taylor recommends using their V-Cable with it, which is a standard guitar cable but with a volume control built into one end. That way you can roll off the volume if you want. Is this something that I would actually want with a sound hole pickup that has no pre-amp?

Second currently I run D'Addario phosphor bronze strings on my GS Mino. If I start using the pick up regularly (and I probably would) would I be better off changing to nickel wound rather than phosphor bronze?

Thanks for the feed back (no pun intended).
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 07-27-2022, 08:01 PM

I believe all of the GS Minis come with the clip already installed to mount the ES Go magnetic pickup.

I'd route the pickup to a output jack at the end block. The Gs Mini has a removable end pin mount that's designed to easily convert to an output jack for the pickup.

I'm not a fan of the ES Go (or any other magnetic pickup) so I opted to install a K&K Pure Mini transducer and use a tailpiece output jack.

I also don't like internal volume controls, so I use whatever I choose to use as a pedal to control volume. A lot of users like a tuner pedal, that way you can use it as a tuner or a mute if necessary.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi phydaux. I believe the Taylor v cable has been discontinued, though you could probably find one on Reverb. But you really wouldn't need one. I agree with Rudy on using some kind of pedal, or even a belt preamp like an LR Baggs.
Regarding strings, most soundhole pickups these days are optimized for Bronze or pb strings. But it's pretty easy to experiment with strings, monels, nickel etc.
Hope this helps

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-30-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I know that Taylor designed the Mini to accept that pickup, but in all honesty, I have yet to meet any more serious player who has been satisfied with that pickup...

You might consider a K&K or some such as an alternative?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-06-2022, 01:38 PM

The ES-GO is still sold out everywhere online, but I stopped by the Manchester Music Mill today and they have a stack of them of $65 each. Bought and installed. I’ll test it through an amp later today.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification