The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
A guy knowledgeable about Guild's production of the JF30-12s told me that Guild used AA tops for that model.... personally I think the top is a AAA too.
Everyone who owns a guitar that he or she likes believe that the top on that guitar is a AAAAAAA Super-Deluxe-Master grade top. That is, until he or she has decided that guitar is lacking in some way, in which case it immediately becomes an A-grade top, unless he or she wants to sell it, in which case it immediately goes back to an AAAAAAAA Super-Deluxe-Master grade top for selling purposes.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:25 AM

worrying about Grade is so fruitless. Many years ago I had a Martin D-42 that was a really neat guitar in every way. I got under there with a mirror one day and it has a S 6 grade top. The internet boards had told me it was supposed to be a 7. It made me unhappy that the pencil said 6, and I ended up having to get rid of it "to some poor unsuspecting rube without a mirror" lol. It was dumb - I wish I still had it.

It is dumb. the top in this thread is gorgeous and who cares what "grade" imo.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

This looks like an AA Authorized Standard Spec Swiss Alps Spruce top. These are usually worth north of $15,000 for the top. What a snag!
Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozanbilgin View Post
Sounds very good, crisp and much louder than a small body guitar should. Interestingly, it sounds like a rosewood b&s guitar even though it's solid mahogany b&s.
Which brings up another point along these lines. Studies have very clearly shown that no one can tell what wood an instrument is made from in blind tests and that ranges from the very traditional guitar making woods like BRW and H. Mahogany to non traditional ones like walnut and cherry.

Back and side sets are also graded and again it has absolutely nothing to do what so ever with the quality in the tone of the guitar.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:50 AM

Maybe you’re confusing bear claw with silking. My understanding is bear claw was not viewed favorably in the past.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:02 PM

It's a really great looking top, and all that silking has never ever at any time in the past been considered a flaw.

But really...if you like the guitar, how it looks, feels, plays, and sounds, then WHO CARES what anybody else thinks. Worrying about what others think about your guitar is a road you really don't want to start down...it's a road to nowhere anything good comes of...

Remember what Sheryl Crow sang:

"It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got..."

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-20-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote95667 View Post
I got under there with a mirror one day and it has a S 6 grade top. The internet boards had told me it was supposed to be a 7. It made me unhappy that the pencil said 6, and I ended up having to get rid of it "to some poor unsuspecting rube without a mirror" lol.
All you needed to fix it was a pencil and an eraser. Change the "6" to a "7" and your problem would be solved.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Tops are graded arbitrarily depending on the manufacturer's whim. One man's AAA might be another's AAAA. Martin grade theirs on cosmetic appearance only.
Exactly.

Worrying about the grade of the top is like worrying about how attractive your underwear is - when it's under your clothing!

whm
Old 04-20-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Silking is one of the most desirable traits in top wood. To me it is indicative of a good sounding guitar. But grading is cosmetic. I personally like grain variation, coloration in red spruce and bearclaw. Some want tight grain perfection. I do know that in 1970, the Guild guys threw my top into the cheaper model pile, as the marketplace would not have tolerated grain variation and bearclaw. My Guild D 35 got what I consider a very good top. Plenty of these were stained.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote95667 View Post
worrying about Grade is so fruitless. Many years ago I had a Martin D-42 that was a really neat guitar in every way. I got under there with a mirror one day and it has a S 6 grade top. The internet boards had told me it was supposed to be a 7. It made me unhappy that the pencil said 6, and I ended up having to get rid of it "to some poor unsuspecting rube without a mirror" lol. It was dumb - I wish I still had it.

It is dumb. the top in this thread is gorgeous and who cares what "grade" imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
All you needed to fix it was a pencil and an eraser. Change the "6" to a "7" and your problem would be solved.
Maybe it was really a "9" and you were reading it upside-down. Bet you regret selling that guitar now!
Old 04-21-2021, 12:04 PM

Pura Vida made me laugh right out loud with ^^^^ !!

Good one!
Old 04-21-2021, 12:07 PM

That's a very nice quality spruce top. Lovely silking and tight grain. I'm sure it sounds lovely if the guitar is made well.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Exactly.

Worrying about the grade of the top is like worrying about how attractive your underwear is - when it's under your clothing!

whm
What? Yer mom never gave you The Warning Talk about wearing good underwear in case you get hit by a car and taken to the hospital?
Old 04-21-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozanbilgin View Post
I'm a little confused about my guitar's top. It has extremely dense strips, but also has silking all over the top. It looks nice to me, but I know 30 years ago that was considered a flaw. What do the professional luthiers and players think?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zYX4LzgN8jQ3nEW57
The top looks fine. Far better than some of my guitars in fact. However, I buy guitars for their tone, not there looks. So the important question is: How does it sound?
Old 04-21-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What? Yer mom never gave you The Warning Talk about wearing good underwear in case you get hit by a car and taken to the hospital?
"But doctor, did he have on clean underwear?!" - Every mother

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion