The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM

My only guitar is a Lowden 032c spruce/rosewood. I fell in love with it immediately and still feel that way 15 years later.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:47 PM

sorry I didn't see this when it went around... did you trade for the O32C?

I've been playing Lowdens since about '87 and find I always prefer cedar tops in O size. I've had two EIR and two mahogany. If I had to pick one Lowden, I'd choose EIR with a cedar top in an O. That said, I've played some sublime mahogany guitars.

George currently prefers African Blackwood with a redwood top. I've played a couple of that combo and they were amazing but also very pricey.

As for the Avalons and McIlroys mentioned, they are fine guitars and they would certainly not be bad choices, but they aren't exactly the same so it is a matter of preference.
that's me on guitar
Old 06-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Don't overlook the O22 in cedar/mahogany. Great fingerstyle guitar but it doesn't shy away from a flat pick either.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 06-17-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
My favourite Lowden was this O50 in Braz and Alpine Spruce, great guitar!

Yup....that will do just fine!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 PM

My O32 (spruce/rosewood) is a whole lotta guitar. Full tone, great string separation, balanced and loud. Loves to be tuned down too. Had it nearly 20 years.
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailin... View Post
For all you Lowden players out there! I am finding it hard to play different wood combos in the Lowden O range so was hoping for some expert advice here. I play Martins and have a D-18 and HD-28V. I am hoping to sell the 28v to help purchase my dream guitar which is the Lowden O model but not sure of the wood combination. I play all types of music inc country, celtic, rock etc. Can someone specify the difference in tone in say a cedar/walnut or spruce/rosewood lowden and what is the quintessential Lowden guitar if there is one?
Gosh, A Lowden O model is a quintessential guitar all by itself and regardless of the woods used, particularly the more recent Downpatrick builds with the Dolphin bracing. Yes, different wood combinations will adjust a Lowden O's sonics and behavior one way or another, but not by much. Your first decision should be the top, one of the several spruces available or a cedar or redwood top? Back and sides woods will adjust it a bit more.

I play fingerstyle, flesh and nail, with a classical guitar technical background, so what I may prefer is likely different than what you may prefer, given your stated musical genres. I've played dozens of Lowdens over the years but have only owned two, both O23 models (Claro walnut/cedar). As much as I liked them, the O is a very large guitar, and I have ergonomic issues with guitars of that size. Also, large guitars tend to have a slower response to initial transients, which can be a good thing in certain settings, but can also be not so desirable.

You may wish to consider a Lowden F model.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 PM

I once owned a Lowden O in walnut and cedar. If what your looking for is that incredibly rich, sustainy thing that is so good for open tunings and modern finger style, that's a great place to land, but my bandmate has an O in rosewood/cedar, and it might be even better. Great guitars. Subjectively too much for me and what I play, but objectively perhaps the best guitars I've ever played. But the O is the Lowden pinnacle. Enjoy.

P
Old 06-20-2015, 01:26 AM

Thanks folks for the comments. Royd, I traded the HD28v for the O32, it's a wonderful sounding instrument, just fills the room with a lovely rich and open sound. Complete opposite to the HD, which I loved and would have kept if possible! But I have the D18 for that Martin tone

Would have loved to try out a cedar topped rosewood/walnut model but none were available. Would the cedar/IR O25 model have an even warmer and bassier sound than the O32?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailin... View Post
Thanks folks for the comments. Royd, I traded the HD28v for the O32, it's a wonderful sounding instrument, just fills the room with a lovely rich and open sound. Complete opposite to the HD, which I loved and would have kept if possible! But I have the D18 for that Martin tone

Would have loved to try out a cedar topped rosewood/walnut model but none were available. Would the cedar/IR O25 model have an even warmer and bassier sound than the O32?
sorry Wailin, I haven't been around much lately. The difference between the spruce and cedar is more complex than just warmer and bassier - the attack is slightly different and the cedar is a bit more diffuse sounding I think. Maybe warmer, but there wouldn't be more bass in one vs. the other, just a different focus to those low notes. Playing them next to one another, you'd know they are siblings. Take the difference you hear from the Martin to the Lowden 32 and push it a step further and that would be the 25.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-07-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

There's an S-25 listing on Reverb that states the back and sides are cocobolo. Could someone with a better eye than mine confirm that?

https://reverb.com/item/32271220-low...fishman-pickup

Thanks!

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 09-09-2020, 08:55 AM

I played several Lowdens yesterday on a visit to Northern Ireland, the best sounding was definitely cocobolo and Sitka, and the one I liked least was bog oak and redwood, very dull sounding. They were both F models.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Wink best lowden

I've played quite a few Lowdens and have to say the most resonate and perfectly built one was Richard Thompson model with Cedar and Zirocote. It is simply a monster.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:07 AM

Has any of you tried one with a Redwood top and koa back and sides?

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 04-22-2021, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

The correct answer is walnut/cedar! I’ve had at least 15 Lowdens over the past 20 years...The 23 series just sounds so warm and woody. IMHO Lowden does that combo better than anybody...

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Last edited by sevenpalms; 04-22-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:18 AM

Default Redwood Bowden

Yes, I've a Lowden with a sinker redwood top and rosewood back and sides. It's an S-35, so it's on the small side but it does project. I tend to think the rosewood has more to do with its sound than the sinker redwood top, but my opinion is worth what you've paid for it. I admire the Lowden build but I do wish the neck was less chunky. Anyhow, I am a happy owner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion