The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-27-2020, 05:27 PM

Default Home recording studio/device

Hi,
I’ve got a Zoom HD8 recording studio. I don’t think they make it anymore. Anyway, it’s got 8 channels, 2 inputs, built in CD burner. I’m an acoustic guitarist/vocalist and I got this thing a few years back to record myself for practice, make personal CDs, etc. The problem is, I never felt comfortable with this unit. I find the overall interface confusing and the users manual, to me, is hard to follow. So, I’m looking for suggestions on a replacement. What I do is simple acoustic stuff. 1 vocal mic and I’ve been micing my guitar. I find going directly in with a cable sounds crappy. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 01-27-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkrocket View Post
Hi,
I’ve got a Zoom HD8 recording studio. I don’t think they make it anymore. Anyway, it’s got 8 channels, 2 inputs, built in CD burner. I’m an acoustic guitarist/vocalist and I got this thing a few years back to record myself for practice, make personal CDs, etc. The problem is, I never felt comfortable with this unit. I find the overall interface confusing and the users manual, to me, is hard to follow. So, I’m looking for suggestions on a replacement. What I do is simple acoustic stuff. 1 vocal mic and I’ve been micing my guitar. I find going directly in with a cable sounds crappy. Any thoughts?
Thanks
If you're looking to do a vocal and guitar simultaneously I recommend the Zoom R8. You should download the manual and watch a few Youtube demos, but it's not much more difficult than using a cassette recorder. (remember those?)
Old 01-27-2020, 11:32 PM
Eric Skye

Don;t know what your budget is like, but I think if you like the idea of a simple, high quality stand-alone recorder, and don't need something with built-in mics, I highly recommend the Sound Devices Mixpre-3 ii. I got one recently and I'm very impressed. https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre/
Old 01-28-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Don;t know what your budget is like, but I think if you like the idea of a simple, high quality stand-alone recorder, and don't need something with built-in mics, I highly recommend the Sound Devices Mixpre-3 ii. I got one recently and I'm very impressed. https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre/
I've used Zoom handy and field recorders for a few years, and while I love the ability to just plug in some mics and record with excellent quality, IMO they're not really standalone mixers that can produce something for distribution unless you really spend a good amount of time fiddling with small knobs and screens to get your levels and balance exactly right. And, there's no option to add any effects or overdub/punch in, so really limited to capturing a single performance live, i.e., what they are designed to do.

Echoing another thread, most folks ultimately go with a 2-channel (at least) audio interface plugged into a computer.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I've used Zoom handy and field recorders for a few years, and while I love the ability to just plug in some mics and record with excellent quality, IMO they're not really standalone mixers that can produce something for distribution unless you really spend a good amount of time fiddling with small knobs and screens to get your levels and balance exactly right. And, there's no option to add any effects or overdub/punch in, so really limited to capturing a single performance live, i.e., what they are designed to do.

Echoing another thread, most folks ultimately go with a 2-channel (at least) audio interface plugged into a computer.
I hear you. An interface going into my iMac is still probably my main thing for straight up audio recording. But I do like the MixPre for making Youtube content in other rooms of the house, or recording in other locations.. And you can overdub, punch-in, mix, add reverb, etc on the MixPre,.. But for me my I just use the MixPre for the capture, then dump the files into Logic into work on it.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:53 PM

Thank you for the responses. I see that I'm really behind the times. I know nothing about how to use a computer for this stuff. I guess I've got some homework to do. Where to start (?)
Old 01-28-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the responses. I see that I'm really behind the times. I know nothing about how to use a computer for this stuff. I guess I've got some homework to do. Where to start (?)
Google, I'd say. Most of the major Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) will give you similar functionality: ability to record multiple tracks, edit them, add effects, mix them together. Which you prefer comes down to personal preference (and pocketbook), although some have areas they are stronger in than others. Look for some "getting started" videos for ProTools, Logic, Cubase, Reaper.

Then you need an interface. You plug your mics/instruments into it, and then it connects to your computer to send the signal to the DAW. One with two inputs for mics and/or instruments can be had for $100-200. Often interfaces, it will come with a version of the DAW software you can use free.

You can still use standalone recorders like the Zoom or Tascam, but the capability and flexibility you'll have with an interface and DAW is much greater.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:28 PM

I am a mediocre guitarist and my singing is worse - but for some odd reason, I'm compelled to try.

I have a macbook pro laptop, and I use the software called "Garage Band". I think it was free. I use a Blue Microphones "Yeti Pro" USB mic. I think I gave $100 for it (barely) used on Reverb.com. It just plugs right into any USB port on the computer, but it has another port with a fancy looking plug that I'm pretty sure is meant for "Legit" mixing boards.

Not that I've got the ear of a sound engineer - by any stretch - but I'm amazed at the fidelity of the mic. Garage band provides enough editing tools for me to lay down some tracks, tweak some knobs and record some music. I can even publish it if I care too.

It's a really simple arrangement that works great for my simple needs.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I always recommend a two stage process for recording.

1. Something like a Zoom R series to capture audio, and:

2. Import the tracks to a PC, use a DAW for editing / mixdown, adding effects, topping and tailing tracks, and rendering your final mix as a usable file. You can produce CD-ready wavs or convert to MP3s for distribution on the web.

You need a good audio interface and a high quality set of headphones at the very least to hear your work.

I've never liked being chained to a computer to track, and a portable recorder is optimized to do this, saving silently to flash drive memory.

I have a project coming up in April to track an acoustic band live, and it's pretty easy to set up my Zoom R24 to do the basic tracking with. The mixing and everything else will be done back at my computer later.

You might find something of value at my old postings about simple homestyle recording here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...ecording1.html
Old 01-29-2020, 04:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

For simplicity and ease of use plus great sound quality even with the built in mic I can't say enough about the Spire recorder. I use mine on a daily basis with my students and the results are great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD