The night they drove Old Dixie Down - The Band 6 9.52%
Tin Soldier - The Small Faces 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well I am gettin' old, but I do think know (as I mentioned) what "I have heard
I meant the agreement among 10,000,000 elevators as to their favorite song...
Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)
Talking

[QUOTE=Murphy Slaw;6276026]My ex wife used to always complain, snivel, and groan years ago when I was younger and would be working around the house on projects, cleaning up, organizing and such and would hum songs by The Monkees. I never took her serious.

And then I saw her face'.

I get it - I mean not your wife but the possible power of her facial expressions.

When I thought I was happily enjoying my rightful activities and my gearhttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif...

Selective ladies have reasons I did not understand distracted me from my essential tasks - then..

'Foghorn through the night, calling out to sea''Whispering Pines, rising all the time, if only one star shines that's just enough to get inside', Words from another Band classic

I think you are of course right that the Monkees I am Believer is the only truely good song on this list, but for me it's not just on any female's face but in the ears in terms of core beliefs, with regard to which songs on the above list they might prefer listening to.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, here’s a list of the top selling singles from Wikipedia:

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...gles_worldwide
Old 01-26-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

“Hey Jude” Is the Beatles top selling single on the Wikipedia list referenced above
Old 01-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Here's a fun fact. I'm a Believer, although popularized by The Monkees (1966) was composed and subsequently recorded by Neil Diamond...

Old 01-26-2020, 10:41 AM

I saw Jimi Hendrix open for the Monkees in Forest Hills, NY. Talk about a paradox!
Old 01-26-2020, 11:17 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very hard to know exactly what "will endure the most " actually means ?
Originally I meant endure the most time in terms of years. But I suppose it could mean endure the most awful and/or improvisational musicians, without being too accomplished myself I might guess that prize might to your choice Paint it Black
Old 01-26-2020, 11:33 AM

Poll has 85% as Yesterday. That's what I voted on. If the 50's-60's-...10's music lives on then Yesterday will still be around in 200 years.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Fun fact about "Yesterday"...This is the most covered pop song of all time, with over 3,000 versions recorded according to The Guinness Book Of World Records. For years, it was also the song with the most radio plays, but in 1999 BMI music publishing reported that "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" had passed it. Still, at any given time, some version of "Yesterday" is probably being broadcast somewhere.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
I saw Jimi Hendrix open for the Monkees in Forest Hills, NY. Talk about a paradox!
That was the Monkees' (and particularly Mickey Dolenz's) idea, by the way. They heard Hendrix when he was scuffling around small clubs in L.A., recognized that he was something special, and wanted to get him the kind of mass exposure they felt he deserved. Against the label's wishes, they insisted he join their next tour. Unfortunately, the Monkees' fan demographic was perhaps ( ) not quite as receptive to Jimi as might be desired.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Fun fact about "Yesterday"...This is the most covered pop song of all time, with over 3,000 versions recorded according to The Guinness Book Of World Records. For years, it was also the song with the most radio plays, but in 1999 BMI music publishing reported that "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" had passed it. Still, at any given time, some version of "Yesterday" is probably being broadcast somewhere.
How much Money do you think has been made for composer and publisher from Yesterday? It couldn't be a billion $, could it?!?!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
How much Money do you think has been made for composer and publisher from Yesterday? It couldn't be a billion $, could it?!?!
Here's another fun fact:

From the start the duo [Lennon & McCartney] made an agreement to share credit for the songs 50/50, no matter how much either of them contributed to the song. Because of the agreement, Lennon got credit for Yesterday even though McCartney was 100% responsible for the writing and singing of the song.

Yesterday would become the second most played song in the history of radio. It has been covered by more than 2200 different artists. Yoko Ono, John Lennon’s sole heir, has received millions in royalties from the song. The estimated earnings of the song are $30 million.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I meant the agreement among 10,000,000 elevators as to their favorite song...
Ya no, I knew what ya ment . But I don't care what elevators agree on. I ain't gettin' in one of those death traps . Besides it's healthier to Climb the Stairway to Heaven... OH wait

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's another fun fact:

From the start the duo [Lennon & McCartney] made an agreement to share credit for the songs 50/50, no matter how much either of them contributed to the song. Because of the agreement, Lennon got credit for Yesterday even though McCartney was 100% responsible for the writing and singing of the song.

Yesterday would become the second most played song in the history of radio. It has been covered by more than 2200 different artists. Yoko Ono, John Lennon’s sole heir, has received millions in royalties from the song. The estimated earnings of the song are $30 million.
Funny how $30M seems low!
Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Funny how $30M seems low!
Well, you know what they say. Thirty million here, thirty million there and pretty soon you're talking about real money. On the other hand, it's only one song out of many that pays Paul McCartney royalties...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic