The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2020, 11:15 PM

Default Is There an "A La Carte" Mic / UST Blend System?

I've been reading about the pros and cons of the various new mic/ust blend systems that are readily available.

In light of all this, is there any way to put together an (easy to use in a live setting) "a la carte" system where one may pick and choose each component?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm101 View Post
I've been reading about the pros and cons of the various new mic/ust blend systems that are readily available.

In light of all this, is there any way to put together an (easy to use in a live setting) "a la carte" system where one may pick and choose each component?

Thanks in advance!

I guess it depends on what you mean. I don't think there are many (or any?) current commercial systems that offer various options as something you order together - B-Band used to have a sort of pick and choose your sources system, but they're out of business. But you can easily put your own system together. The biggest challenge is to be sure you can really make the pieces work together. The most common problem is active systems with an integrated end-pin jack that doesn't allow you to add a 2nd source. That can be worked around if you're willing to have two jacks in the guitar, but it's sure simpler to use a single TRS jack. Any passive pickup is simple, just get the pickup, the mic and a stereo jack. Some active systems out there actually support adding a 2nd source (the DTar Wavelength comes to mind), but there are others.

For mics, any 9-volt lavalier type mic will work. There have been a few sold by pickup companies, tho that seems to be rarer these days. But there are lots of mics available elsewhere. The DPA 4061 is popular. I've been using Audix L5Os. There are mics by AKG, Audio Technica, and many more.

I have, let's see, 4 different dual source systems in guitars right now. All use either the Audix or DPA mics. I pair them with the Barbera Soloist, Trance Amulet (requires mods), K&K, or Dazzo pickups. So I have 4 different "a la carte" systems, where I selected the components I wanted and put them together. You also have to have an appropriate preamp. There was a thread while back that was listing all the preamps that support dual source. A search here on "dual source" will probably turn up lots of info and options.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Do you mean "onboard" or with an external preamp/blender like Doug uses?

If you want "onboard", you should ask a someone to mod an Schatten Artist II which has 2 channels with adjustable gain (0-24dB). Write them to ask if the channels are capactive coupled, if it is the case, bringing phantom power to your internal mic will be easy.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 AM

If you want onboard prramplification, the Baggs Dual Source can be purchased solo, without the Element piezo or mic. You can then connect your mic and piezo to it. You can also try the Baggs MixPro, a belt clip preamp that can mix two sources and can provide phantom to a mic on the ring channel.

GuitarFetish also has a variety of affordable preamps, internal mics, and piezos though I can’t speak to their quality.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 AM

Check out the NV Tone demos. It's a nice looking rechargeable two-channel preamp with a great sounding mic. The mic can actually be purchased separately. I messaged them on Reverb and the price I was given for the mic was $108. They may be working on some updates to the preamp, like XLR out and FX loop. I'll be watching to see what happens with product development.

https://nvtone.com/reviews/

https://reverb.com/item/27526902-nv-...assical-guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqfrOehjMU
Old 01-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Thanks all. Perhaps, I should give more info.

This will be for an older, relatively rare guitar (1976 Taylor 755 12str, strung 6).

It already has an 1/4" endpin jack with a 1990s Fishman matrix UST.

I want the least invasive setup and plan to go wireless into my relic, Pendulum HS10SE, then into a Boss Acoustic Singer Amplifier.

This is for a solo act.

I want blend capability, but not necessarily stereo/dual output. That is, no more than one endpin/hole in the body.

Last edited by michaelm101; 01-25-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks all. Perhaps, I should give more info.

This will be for an older, relatively rare guitar (1976 Taylor 755 12str, strung 6).

It already has an 1/4" endpin jack with a 1990s Fishman matrix UST.

I want the least invasive setup and plan to go wireless into my relic, Pendulum HS10SE, then into a Boss Acoustic Singer Amplifier...

I want blend capability, but not necessarily stereo/dual output. That is, no more than one endpin/hole in the body.
That helps. You have a bit of a needle to thread with wanting non-invasive, blending ability, but not stereo out (blending outboard) and wireless. The Baggs Anthem is one system that comes to mind, ready to go, with small controls in the soundhole. The DTar Multisource is another option with similar features.

People have mentioned a few other options that could work - the Baggs Dual Source preamp is nice, and can be used with your choice of USTs and mics, and offers blending, switchable mono-stereo, and a few other controls on a small circuit that mounts on the inside of the guitar.

Dual source is one area where there are fewer options for non-invasive installs these days - there are a number of systems that have the side wart hole in your guitar, far fewer if you want onboard blending and non-invasive at once.

The most non-invasive DIY approaches generally involve outboard blending, but that's not going to work with your wireless goal.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:27 PM

Anthem comes to mind...
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-25-2020, 09:54 PM

You can use any mixer with at least two channels. Works with any mic, any pickup and any combo.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:22 PM

+1 for the full Anthem system!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 PM

Thx. Not understanding Mandobart's post. Please elaborate.

Lots of votes for the Anthem---Assuming it's the Anthem Tru-Mic and not the SL?

I was thinking of going Baggs Lyric as it's a solo gig and my jumbo's got plenty of bass,-- but I'll need a UST to partially resort to if I find I'm feeding back while roaming about wirelessly beyond the mains.

No love for the Fishman Infinity Matrix Blend???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification