The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
Indeed - the DI connection options available to me are XLR and line-out.
Not sure what you're talking about. You wouldn't input into a line-out connector. Line-out would be for routing speakers or headphones.

On the input side, you likely have the option to use line-in or a pre-in. To plug in a guitar via it's pickup, you'd typically use the line-in option with hi-z engaged and usually make that connection with a trs cable. For microphones, you'd use the pre-in and your connector there would typically be xlr.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

OK, so you're sure you want to record direct with a K&K system, and are just asking which one to get? The one that includes the mic will likely sound a bit better. My experience with the small K&K preamps is that they're pretty noisy, too noisy for me to want to record with, probably ok for live use. Maybe they've improved, tho, it's been a while.

None of your pickup options will sound as natural for recording (assuming that's what you want) as just recording with your SM57, since you already have that. The amp also wouldn't play any role in recording for me, but you may have different ideas of the sound you want.

In any case, it sounds like you have a pretty set plan in mind, which is great, I'd dive in and start recording with whatever you have now (SM57?) add what ever you think will work slowly so you can course correct if you find it's not working for you, and enjoy the process - it can be a very long and fun journey figuring out how to record. Post some examples here once you have them, and I'm sure people will chime in with feedback and suggestions.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Hi Ray,
I agree with what Doug has said although I have no experience with recording with the SM57. When you record with K&K directly plugged into your recording device you won't need a preamp. I recorded once a song with that technique and the resulting sound is very direct (The water is wide), too direct. Acoustically you are much better of with more air in your recordings. The advantage of the 'direct technique' is that you can record in a noisy surrounding; though not too noisy because the K&K picks up a tiny bit of the surrounding noise via the sound bord (at least in my experience).
Karel

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 01-26-2020, 11:37 AM

Thanks to all for the helpful remarks
Let the journey of discovery begin......
Old 01-28-2022, 02:19 PM

I'm also thinking of some acoustic recording at home....not a professional musician...

I've got passive K&K minis in two of my acoustics (Martin D18A and 00-18V). I purchased a Rode NT2A to avoid modifying my higher end guitars (custom Santa Cruz and a few Bourgeois'). Plugging my Martin's direct into a Fractal Audio FM3 along with some "airy" reverb and playing back through a pair of Adam Audio A7X sound REALLY heavenly....

For what I do, mic placement and keeping a quiet house (kids) seems to be an unecessary hassle....

2.5 cents...
Santa Cruz 00-Skye
Santa Cruz Style 1 Custom w/ Redwood & Cocobolo
Hippner Especiale Classical (Brazilian/Spruce)

Danocaster Tele
PRS McCarty Wood Library Trem
Fender EJ Strat
Gibson ES-335 60's figured maple
Fender J Bass
Old 01-28-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
I'm starting to get into the realms of home recording and am considering installing pickups on my 2 acoustics - Martin JM (old road series, with spruce top and mahogany back/sides), and the J12-16GT (yes, more mahogany....) with a view to direct injecting into my Zoom-U44, then pc (Reaper).
I've watched a of videos to try to narrow down the choice - within the sound quality simites that online videos have, and read quite a few reviews.
I'm giving serious consideration either to
the K&K Pure Mini as a starter system, coupled either with the Pure preamp, or the Pure XLR preamp, or
The K&K Trinity Solo mini (essentially a Pure Mini with an added gooseneck), plus Preamp as above, or
go the whole hog and get the K&K Trinity Pro Mini System including Pure pickups, gooseneck and preamp all in one
For the 12-string, I would naturally go for the 12-string version of this kit.

For those who have experience of these different systems, could I ask for their views and experience of these 3 different possibilities? Remember, this question is about direct injection as opposed to microphone-based recording - I'm covering that question elesewhere.

PS : At this stage I'm not looking for alternative suggestions ,telling me that Fishman, Meyers or Schertler... are better
I've done almost all of my recent recordings using one of the three types of DI recording you asked about. I multi-track and combine the recording with video in post to produce simple videos of things I've written so I have an archival version to refer to later.
Most of my recording has been done with my K&K Pure Mini-equipped all mahogany size 0 fed directly to a recorder, no preamp used. In some cases I also use a Shure SM35 headset mic, which is nice so I don't have to stay in one position. I normally overdub an electric bass on the basic tracks and then do a mix down. I might adjust the EQ a bit and/or add just a bit of reverb, but that's all I do other than levels and panning.

Is this the best audio quality I can achieve? Absolutely not. I have other mics I'd use if that was my M.O. but I'm really more concerned with the ease of doing it.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-28-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

ZOMBIE ALERT: This thread was brought back from the dead after a couple of years.

YouTube
Old 01-28-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
ZOMBIE ALERT: This thread was brought back from the dead after a couple of years.
Thanks, Jim.

I forget to check that and get caught fairly often. I think it's usually the result of someone finding a topic by way of doing a search... and then it's off to the races!

I kind of wish that AGF would do what I've observed on other forums and close the topic after a given amount of time, like 30 days. If someone is interested in continuing the archived discussion then they have to start a new topic and can add a link to the previous archived topic in the first post.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:51 AM

I have a couple guitars with K&K pickups and would never use them for recording, using mics instead.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:42 AM

For me, reviving a necro-thread probably beats a new thread saying all the same things. But I think it's important that you at least skim through the thread so you don't inadvertently change the subject.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 01-29-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For me, reviving a necro-thread probably beats a new thread saying all the same things. But I think it's important that you at least skim through the thread so you don't inadvertently change subject.
I agree if there's a question involved. But in this case the person who revived it wasn't seeking information. He merely said that using pickups is fine in his situation because of his noisy house.

YouTube
Old 01-29-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I agree if there's a question involved. But in this case the person who revived it wasn't seeking information. He merely said that using pickups is fine in his situation because of his noisy house.
Understood. Fine for me, too, if I'm in sketch/roadmap mode. Or using my magnetic for a DI sound I actually want, which does happen.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD