The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2020, 06:20 PM

Default Questions About JBL Eon One/Line Array

Hi! I found this forum recently and there is a lot of great information here. I've been reading all the threads I can find about JBL and line array speakers. It's tough to find out if they will work for what I want though.

I currently use a Cube Street Ex when playing solo and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I want to start incorporating a drum machine and basslines when I'm looping. The sound from the Cube doesn't quite do it for me when I do that though. The JBL Eon One looks great and the price isn't bad. I mainly play small or medium sized bars. Would a drum machine and bass sound good through this? I currently go guitar into Boss Me-80 into Boss RC-300 loop station into TC Helicon Play Acoustic then into the cube. Are there any problems you can forsee with this? Is there another line array in the same price range that would be better? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
Hi! I found this forum recently and there is a lot of great information here. I've been reading all the threads I can find about JBL and line array speakers. It's tough to find out if they will work for what I want though.

I currently use a Cube Street Ex when playing solo and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I want to start incorporating a drum machine and basslines when I'm looping. The sound from the Cube doesn't quite do it for me when I do that though. The JBL Eon One looks great and the price isn't bad. I mainly play small or medium sized bars. Would a drum machine and bass sound good through this? I currently go guitar into Boss Me-80 into Boss RC-300 loop station into TC Helicon Play Acoustic then into the cube. Are there any problems you can forsee with this? Is there another line array in the same price range that would be better? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
That would definitely work, it will sound good, and you'll get a lot more punch compared than the Cube thanks to the Eon One's 10" woofer and AC plugged-in power. Add that to the array and its dispersion and it's big step up.

But the Eon One has weak gain staging for mics--in comparison, instruments can overpower them and the mics just aren't going to be as maximum loud. If you're running everything through the Play Acoustic that won't be an issue because that unit will provide plenty of signal for everything going into the JBL. The issue arises for those who just want to plug say a guitar and mic directly into the unit. (And if you're not maxing out the volume in a quieter room anyway, it also may not be an issue, it depends).

I assume you're talking about this, as you said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rray-pa-system

and not the Eon One Pro or the Eon One Compact. By the way, gang, am I going crazy or did JBL change the array housing in the Eon One? I don't recall the top being flush/squared away like that, but rather having the bulge that's still on top of the battery-powered Eon One Pro. Makes me wonder if there were any other changes.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Yes, that's the one I'm looking at. I've read a bit about the pro but it didn't look like it was anything I needed, unless I'm missing something. Do you see any reason to look at the Pro? And if I were to play without the Play Acoustic, I'd just need a mixer to help boost the sound, right? Thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification