The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-28-2020, 11:51 PM

Default Question on Pedal Power

I have just one pedal at this time. A Boss looper. I power it with a 9v plug-in unit. I'm considering a couple more pedals.

The Boss RC-3 is plugged into the wall. Will it power a couple more pedals in the chain.??

I'm considering the Boss chromatic pedal tuner. It says it can power like 6 or 7 pedals. Will the 9v unit I have power other pedals down the chain.??
Old 01-29-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I have just one pedal at this time. A Boss looper. I power it with a 9v plug-in unit. I'm considering a couple more pedals.

The Boss RC-3 is plugged into the wall. Will it power a couple more pedals in the chain.??

I'm considering the Boss chromatic pedal tuner. It says it can power like 6 or 7 pedals. Will the 9v unit I have power other pedals down the chain.??
Probably not unless it's designed with that in mind.

There are some pretty inexpensive power supplies these days, when I need an 18v for a pigtronix delay, I bought a Donner supply for a fraction of the cost of a strymon or voodo PS. Amazon has em if you search "Donner Power Supply"
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 AM

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...RoC2mcQAvD_BwE

I have one of these, seems to work fine.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:49 AM

I have a Pedal Power which can power eight pedals. I also have a pedal addiction problem so I have more than eight. My Boss TU-3 powers the extras. You can also get a cheap daisy chain but you could get extra noise whereas the Pedal Power has individual independent outlets. But for all practical purposes you should be fine simply running the others off your tuner.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-29-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:

The only real problem with the Boss package mentioned above is that the daisy chain has two problems IF you ever plan to have several pedals on a pedalboard: very short cable length between the male fittings, and (to a lesser degree) the fact that those fittings are straight rather than 90-degrees. That may not matter to you, but it's easy to overlook (ask me how I know...)
Old 01-29-2020, 02:45 PM

Default It's math!

According to the spec the Boss PSA-230ES has a maximum output of 500ma. The spec sheet for your effects units should include their current draw. For example, the Boss DD-7 current consumption is 55ma. So all you need to do is calculate the COMBINED current draw for all the effects in your chain. If this value is below the stated 500ma, then you're good to go.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 01-29-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
According to the spec the Boss PSA-230ES has a maximum output of 500ma. The spec sheet for your effects units should include their current draw. For example, the Boss DD-7 current consumption is 55ma. So all you need to do is calculate the COMBINED current draw for all the effects in your chain. If this value is below the stated 500ma, then you're good to go.
Great post. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:49 PM

Voodoo Labs pedal power 4x4 is amazing and will power unbelievable amounts of stuff, including +/-9V dual rail, 18v, high current, and more.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:13 AM

How do I connect one pedal to the next.?? With cable or a chord.??
Old 01-30-2020, 12:42 PM

Take your pick...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=boss+dais...b_sb_ss_i_3_11
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Thanks. I have a pretty good understanding of it now.

I've played acoustic for like 20 years so this stuff is all new to me. I dig it.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:12 PM

OP here reporting back... I bought a Boss TU-3 Chromatic Pedal Tuner. It's extremely convenient. And super visibility. I also like the fact that it can power more pedals down the line.

It's my 2nd pedal ever. I feel I've made 2 good choices going with the Boss RC-3 loop pedal and the tuner mentioned here. My next pedal will be an effects pedal. Blues Driver maybe. I love playing with Tremolo/Vibrato. Chorus and delay. We'll see ......

I'm a happy camper with this tuner. And looper. Playing electric is fun.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
OP here reporting back... I bought a Boss TU-3 Chromatic Pedal Tuner. It's extremely convenient. And super visibility. I also like the fact that it can power more pedals down the line.

It's my 2nd pedal ever. I feel I've made 2 good choices going with the Boss RC-3 loop pedal and the tuner mentioned here. My next pedal will be an effects pedal. Blues Driver maybe. I love playing with Tremolo/Vibrato. Chorus and delay. We'll see ......

I'm a happy camper with this tuner. And looper. Playing electric is fun.
That Blues Driver is an awfully good pedal, and one of those that's very much under the radar these days. I haven't a clue whether or not the Waza version is worth the extra cost. Ditto the modded versions from Keeley or AnalogMan. Lots of people like the stock version as well as the pricier versions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars