The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2017, 11:48 AM

Default QSC K.2

Has anyone purchased these yet?
Old 05-29-2017, 06:25 PM

I actually just started a thread on this over at TGP. I did not get a ton of reviews but if you search YouTube, you can see some awesome comparisons to the originals. Sounds like the K.2's are not only louder than the originals but they have more clarity and bass. I have two K12's that can be harsh when driven, these new versions seem to correct that.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:03 PM

I upgraded my two K10's but there is double the hiss when using them in my bedroom. Maybe that's because they are more powerful...?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:18 PM

Maybe they are faulty.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:29 PM

No I got two from different stores...
Old 05-29-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I upgraded my two K10's but there is double the hiss when using them in my bedroom. Maybe that's because they are more powerful...?
Since QSC doubled the wattage (a +3db increase), if they did not redesign their preamps, the signal to noise ratios would be increased due to the increased headroom. This is a normal trait that would be cancelled out by the ambient noise in a venue.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I am confused, if you already own the K.2 speakers, why start a thread on them? I thought you were looking for opinions. Would be helpful if you provided a review.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 PM

I don't notice a huge difference but I have not used them at a loud gig yet. The new features are nice - EQ, tilt hole, Hi Z etc.

I did notice the hiss when using them at home but not when at the gig and if it means they are better at louder volumes then I will be happy.

The entire thing is redesigned apparently, all new.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Since QSC doubled the wattage (a +3db increase), if they did not redesign their preamps, the signal to noise ratios would be increased due to the increased headroom. This is a normal trait that would be cancelled out by the ambient noise in a venue.
But the SPL rating only went up 1 dB. The power amps might have the watts but the DSP is keeping the voice coils from jumping out of the front of the grill as they start to melt down (and the house mains circuit breaker from blowing* and the box getting as hot as a toaster oven on full blast -- the actual woofer and tweeter are only low single digit percent efficient and you get mostly heat).

My guess is adding the digital features and downsizing the chassis to make an 8" wedge pushed the outstanding noise floor of the originals down the list of design trade-offs.

* you would need a 240 volt AC connection to really deliver 2KW for any even a few 10s of seconds.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
But the SPL rating only went up 1 dB. The power amps might have the watts but the DSP is keeping the voice coils from jumping out of the front of the grill as they start to melt down (and the house mains circuit breaker from blowing* and the box getting as hot as a toaster oven on full blast -- the actual woofer and tweeter are only low single digit percent efficient and you get mostly heat).

My guess is adding the digital features and downsizing the chassis to make an 8" wedge pushed the outstanding noise floor of the originals down the list of design trade-offs.

* you would need a 240 volt AC connection to really deliver 2KW for any even a few 10s of seconds.
I am going to hold off judgement until I hear them side by side. Remember to that these new speakers have far more settings than the previous versions. Who knows, some eq settings could just be noisier than others.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
They are not really meant for bedroom use. When you say they have more hiss what were you running into them and how were they set? Preset, gain?

I'd also take the 2000 watt rating with a grain of salt just like the 1000 watt rating on the originals. With powered speakers you have to go by the SPL and QSC has changed the rating a bit. 1dB should not be audibly noticeable. In general you never need as much power to the HF drivers as the LF. It seems like with the original series they just used a stereo 500 watt per side module and with the new series they have either a custom module or two different ones.

I've never really heard my K10's clip but they have overloaded a few times with a singer that doesn't have any mic dynamics.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 AM

I'm not running anything in. I just have them powered up with everything at zero and the DSP set to 'default'. I realize they are not supposed to be used this way but it is disappointing that they have twice as much background hiss as the original. I'm trying to decide if I should keep them or send them back and stick with the originals.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
They are not really meant for bedroom use. When you say they have more hiss what were you running into them and how were they set? Preset, gain?

I'd also take the 2000 watt rating with a grain of salt just like the 1000 watt rating on the originals. With powered speakers you have to go by the SPL and QSC has changed the rating a bit. 1dB should not be audibly noticeable. In general you never need as much power to the HF drivers as the LF. It seems like with the original series they just used a stereo 500 watt per side module and with the new series they have either a custom module or two different ones.

I've never really heard my K10's clip but they have overloaded a few times with a singer that doesn't have any mic dynamics.
1db can be quite noticeable. From the YouTube videos I have seen, the K.2's seem significantly louder.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not running anything in. I just have them powered up with everything at zero and the DSP set to 'default'. I realize they are not supposed to be used this way but it is disappointing that they have twice as much background hiss as the original. I'm trying to decide if I should keep them or send them back and stick with the originals.
I don't know, why worry about hiss? The originals were pretty much dead silent so even if the hiss is double that, it's still way lower than most speakers in that price range. Go by the tone, not the hiss. I know with my K speakers, when I turn them on, I have to put my ear right next to them to even hear that they are on.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
1db can be quite noticeable. From the YouTube videos I have seen, the K.2's seem significantly louder.
Not really, you're judging the actual loudness of a speaker by a YouTube video?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification