The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Default Supro speaker swap

OK, I threatened to do it...so I finally did. To re-cap, I felt that the hemp-cone Eminence speaker in the Supro Titan was just too honky in the midrange, lacking detail and sparkle. It could be that I just didn't have the patience to let it break in properly, but I had a feeling I wasn't going to like it anyway. I did try the amp through my Avatar 1x12 extension cab, which is loaded with a Celestion V30...sounded much better.

By and by, I came across a deal on a Celestion G10 Vintage that was a customer return for about 2/3 the new price so I jumped (it supposedly had some "cosmetic flaws", but I can't find a mark on it).

This speaker, to my ears is exactly what this amp needed...lots of sparkle, thick bottom end and much smoother, balanced mids. Overall this speaker is more detailed and responsive in every way.

I haven't had a chance yet to crank it up to rock-band levels but if my other rigs are any indication, being all loaded with V30s, this is going to be something special. I have a gig coming up in a couple weeks...I may have to dare myself to go with it.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Interesting and good info thanks for sharing.

Given that the Titan and matching 12" cab combo is my first and only electric guitar amp, I have no reference for comparison But I will try to listen to see if I can hear what you are talking about .
I suspect mine is not really broken in yet either since most of my playing is into a practice amp and headphones so as not to disturb the family.
I will give them some time to break in before considering a change (if any) . But am curious if replacing the speaker was difficult or easy ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-13-2017, 02:16 AM

My own preference runs to more crispness and detail in the high end, and having a Celestion V30 on hand to compare, just found I liked it better than the stock speaker even though I really can't fault the quality of the Eminence. I just found I had to push it too hard to get the sort of biting, blues-rock tone I like. The G10 Vintage really does sound a lot like a slightly punchier V30. and blends perfectly with it.

Maybe the stock one would have given that to me if I was willing to thrash it, but it really was going to drive me completely deaf before that was going to happen. I just really wanted to be able to get that searing Stratocaster sheen and the Celestion gives me that in spades without pushing the amp too hard. As an added bonus, the Celestion with it's smaller ceramic magnet is quite a bit lighter weight than the Eminence...nice if you take this to gigs.

As to replacement, it's quite easy; just undo the screws in the front baffle, gently work the baffle out with something like a thin knife blade. Once you have it open, unplug the spade connectors on the speaker, taking note of which color wire goes on which speaker tab (marked + or -)...you'll want to put them on the new speaker the same way. There are four screws that hold the speaker on the baffle.

The only things to be cautious with are A) that sparkly grill cloth...it's pretty fragile along the edges inside and you don't want it to unravel. B) The magnet on that Eminence is very strong, so keep it away from anything that could be harmed, like a computer or magnetic storage media.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-13-2017, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
My own preference runs to more crispness and detail in the high end, and having a Celestion V30 on hand to compare, just found I liked it better than the stock speaker even though I really can't fault the quality of the Eminence. I just found I had to push it too hard to get the sort of biting, blues-rock tone I like. The G10 Vintage really does sound a lot like a slightly punchier V30. and blends perfectly with it.

Maybe the stock one would have given that to me if I was willing to thrash it, but it really was going to drive me completely deaf before that was going to happen. I just really wanted to be able to get that searing Stratocaster sheen and the Celestion gives me that in spades without pushing the amp too hard. As an added bonus, the Celestion with it's smaller ceramic magnet is quite a bit lighter weight than the Eminence...nice if you take this to gigs.

As to replacement, it's quite easy; just undo the screws in the front baffle, gently work the baffle out with something like a thin knife blade. Once you have it open, unplug the spade connectors on the speaker, taking note of which color wire goes on which speaker tab (marked + or -)...you'll want to put them on the new speaker the same way. There are four screws that hold the speaker on the baffle.

The only things to be cautious with are A) that sparkly grill cloth...it's pretty fragile along the edges inside and you don't want it to unravel. B) The magnet on that Eminence is very strong, so keep it away from anything that could be harmed, like a computer or magnetic storage media.
Great info thanks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM

I put a G10 into my Fender Super Champ XD, and it really brought that little amp up a notch in sound quality. The speaker was much tighter on the bottom end, and smoother on the top end, without losing the articulation to discern the difference in the amp models. I remember recording a project for a country singer who was doing a solo acoustic guitar and voice record, and I thought some of his songs would sound better with some electric guitar fills/solos. I had just replaced the speaker in my Superchamp with the G10 so it was sitting by my console. So I quickly recorded some demo fills for his songs and he liked the tone of the solos so much that he didn't want me to redo them. And that speaks volumes because I have some great vintage amps in my studio that I was emulating with the Superchamp ('64 Blackface Deluxe Reverb, 50's Tweed Champ, 62 Ampeg, etc).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars