The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-16-2015, 04:48 PM

I was hoping it was just a temporary thing till the newly designed site was in place, but I can understand that it really no longer makes sense for MacNichol to host the forum now.

Glad that I have an offline backup of the site to go to for occasional historical questions if I ever have any. It's not current though, as it was done near the end of March after the initial announcement of closing and questions about the forum's future came up. Got concerned it was all soon to go "poof" back then. Fortunately, there wasn't too much added daily after that time in comparison to the volume added daily prior to that, so I'd say it's 99% complete.

Thanks Michael for all you did and I wish you success in whatever you undertake for the future. You set a standard for graciousness and service that I don't really see an equal of today. I for sure will not forget you if/when I'm in need of saddle or bridge pin work.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:26 PM

It was a great forum to be a part of......missing it already.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 10-18-2015, 07:14 AM

I was so sad and surprised to see it 'suddenly' gone. I hope the contents are somehow archived. It was a wonderful forum to be a part of and I learned so much and truly enjoyed the people who posted there. Hope to see you all here on the AGF!

Wishing Michael all the best. Grateful for the roadtrips and the great customer service.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 AM

At one time there was talk of potentially having others take over the forum under a new name. Can any of those involved in those discussions let us know if that is still a possibility?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:00 AM

I bought my one and only CF from MacNichol G&M. A great experience and wish Michael well. Since that forum (which admittedly I was never a huge part of) is now closed I'm hoping that we will see a lot more activity here. We must carry the baton! I think the road trip idea was a very good one and seemed to really have sustained itself. I suppose it came at somewhat of a risk to Michael but he always just sold those instruments at a discount since it was used. Maybe some of those buyers were the same contributors to the road trip to begin with?

It really is the best way to increase awareness and I would love to see that type of things start again. Question is, who has access to all these instruments willing to participate as a starting point- especially regarding Emerald guitars?
Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNichol View Post
Hello,

Sorry, but the MacNichol site will no longer be hosting forums.
Michael, thanks for the great service and hosting the site for so many years.

BTW, the new site looks great!!
Old 10-20-2015, 01:17 PM

Very sorry to see this news. I enjoyed the forum and meeting several participants both on line and in person (the 2 "carbon fests" in Utah were a great experience!). Best of luck to Michael -- he ran a class-act business and I was pleased to have spent several hours in his shop ... even though it's a long way from Michigan.

Ray
("Swamprat" on the MacNichol forums)

Last edited by Ray B; 10-20-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 AM

End of an era. Thank you Michael for bringing a crazy bunch of CF Guitar nuts together. Best of luck.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Guest 928

The responses here reflect the general respect for Michael, his fine forum, and his decent business practice. I suspect that exhaustion must have played a part in his retreat and I wish him some sweet R & R.

I miss the unique focus of Michael's forum, his marvelous road trips, and his personal attentions, but it's nice that the Acoustic Guitar Forum is here to continue servicing the carbon fiber guitar community.

If I have a concern it is the loss of information. There are (were?) some incredibly detailed composite guitar histories on Michael's forum along with photos of past instruments. There were also a lot of threads dealing with string experimentation on various carbon fiber guitars. I wonder if those are all gone?

Anyway, this thread is a nice tribute to Michael and a nice continuation of comment regarding the composite guitar revolution. Long live the revolution!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
. . . . If I have a concern it is the loss of information. There are (were?) some incredibly detailed composite guitar histories on Michael's forum along with photos of past instruments. There were also a lot of threads dealing with string experimentation on various carbon fiber guitars. I wonder if those are all gone? . . .
I'm sure that Michael has a functional copy of the entire site saved offline somewhere.

I made my own copy when the first word came out that he was closing in March or April, so I have all the posts up to then, but nothing after that (the last 6-7 months), although the number of posts after that dropped off significantly so I don't think I am missing too much. I have all of the heyday.

My copy is just an offline copy and is less than perfect. It has all the written posts, but the small versions of the photos only. Even though it appears on screen like the site, the search functions do not work. Micheal would be the best person to ask questions of if the need arises for some particular thread.

Not sure if I'll ever need to go back to any of the threads myself since I also save important threads that I feel are important to me personally from MacNichol and AGF separately, but it's nice to have the entire site to peruse just in case something comes to mind.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:54 PM

I too am saddened by the passing of the MacNichol forum. It certainly was generous of Michael to supply us with a clubhouse for all those years.

But as Evan said, there was so much great info there, and such great participants. I still hope that the forum archive can be resurrected at some point.

And it's going to be hard to recreate the relaxed and non-judgmental atmosphere of the MacNichol forum. No sarcasm, no arguments, and the freedom to be silly or irrelevant. I got a lot of laughs out of how far off-topic threads would roam, with no complaints or scolding.

It's certainly good to see some of the inmates of the old place over here, though, so I am hopeful for the future.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Slowly but surely the regulars from MacNichol are showing up here. Nice to be back among friends!
Old 10-25-2015, 02:44 PM

Default Goodbye

It was a great run and it meant a lot to me. A sincere thank you to all who were involved.

I regret that I didn't get to know half of you half as well as I should have liked, yet, I came to like less than half of you twice as much as I would have thought possible for never having met you.

I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell. And don't send Evan the Grey after me, for I have things to do that I have been putting off for far too long.

Axe
Old 10-25-2015, 03:56 PM
Guest 928

Holy Moly Axe! Don't jump! And don't make me come after you.

You've been a valuable partner in the carbon fiber community and unless you're on a bucket-list-trip, at least check in once in a while and keep us posted.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Holy Moly Axe! Don't jump! And don't make me come after you.

You've been a valuable partner in the carbon fiber community and unless you're on a bucket-list-trip, at least check in once in a while and keep us posted.
Ditto, Axe. You'll need to check in every once in a while to know where a new site may be, if it were to happen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber