The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-06-2010, 12:49 PM

QUOTE > Losov said: "It would not satisfy me as a performer to limit myself to one or two artists' songbooks."

I know this wasn't directed towards me; but just the same I had to answer. I never said I limited myself to just a few artists. Like Andromeda, I do songs by many people and also of many music styles. After 43 years of playing, I'd have a hard
time listing all the songs I know and all the different artists that do (or did) them.

Last edited by 15 Man; 03-07-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Sorry, 15, I didn't realize my response was so strong, or that it would be taken as such.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be the Kingston Trio. All of them (still play 'Scotch and Soda') Then it was Lightfoot, I wanted to be him. I'd gotten this idea you had to have a 'daddy' whom you were striving to become musically. Then I heard this performer, just a guy with a guitar, play a Cole Porter song, 'I Get a Kick out of You". Huh? An orchestra thing? You can DO that? The world opened up. Instead of just guy-with-a-guitar stuff, I could play any thing I wanted, and it was all out there. Wow! I went nuts.

I started with Bossa Nova, big at the time. Sergio Mendez (who was essentially channeling Jobim, but I didn't know that) was my first target. I taught myself to unravel intricate orchestrations and boil them down for one guitar, learning to employ 'jazz' chords and to appreciate texture. I also learned when I heard their reworking of "Night and Day" that not only did you not have to do note for note covers, but that you could take extreme liberties with the overall feel of the song. This was great. Everything became fair game, standards, show tunes, pop - whatever. That's why I've written so few originals - being in such a target rich environment I saw little need to create new targets.

Well, that's just me and the mistake I make is in projecting my take on things to others. My approach is not for everyone, which makes for an interesting musical universe.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 AM

QUOTE > Losov said: "Sorry, 15, I didn't realize my response was so strong, or that it would be taken as such."

Hi Losov!

No apology necessary! I was just trying to set the record straight. Like you, I found out (more years ago that I care to count) that you could play anything you wanted on the guitar. It’s funny that you mention Sergio Mendez. I used to play a song years ago that was done by him and Brazil 66. However at this point I can’t even recall its name!

Last edited by 15 Man; 03-07-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 AM

One of the things we’ve all been talking about here is how great a job JT does on covers. Another great one he does is “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home” by Fred Ahlert and Roy Turk. That song has been covered by just about everybody. And of course JT does a great job on it. It took me quite awhile to get that one down; but it was worth it!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM

To me, James Taylor is one of the most incredible talents that our generation will ever see. And sadly, one that a lot of people never appreciated enough. Seems a number of people either love him or hate him. The latter I could never understand.

There's an element of warmth and gentleness in his writing and voice. Yet, he also has the swagger of a blues man from mean street. Meaning, he can rip it and get with it. Lots of soul. His music to me sounds like its coming from a tremendous source of pain and despair at times. Just love the guy, and always will.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 PM

[QUOTE > BULLSPRIG said: "His music to me sounds like its coming from a tremendous source of pain and despair at times."

I have to agree. A great example of that is his song "Enough To Be On Your Way" from the Hourglass CD. I remember reading someplace that it was abput his brother's funeral (more or less). The first verse reads: "So the sun shines on this funeral just the same as on a birth; the way it shines on everything that happens here on Earth. It rolls across the western sky and back into the sea; and spends the days last rays upon this [screwed] up family! So long old pal!" The word "screwed" there is mine. He used another word that I'm sure you can figure out from the context of the song.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM

yep.

i sort of wish he'd never met carly simon. i think she watered his music down and made him more mellow. that's just MY opinion. prior to her, he seemed a little more raw and adventurous.

who knows..
Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 PM

ive been trying to learn Jim Croce songs the past few weeks (using Pete Huttlinger DVD) and would like to move on to James Taylor, but I couldnt find a good source of instructionals (videos and/or tab) for James Taylor songs...well there are a few on youtube and some on the popular guitar tab sites, but its just all over the place and not sure if they're accurate. im talking about finding the definitive source to learn JT songs.

anyone care to show me the way? thanks!!

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 AM

I have liked James Taylor since 1970 when I first got hold of the "Sweet Baby James" LP. Never covered any of his tunes though but I did sit in with a friend's band a few times which kept his and Carly's "Mockingbird" workout in their setlist. I played slide with my old National on that one.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 AM

JT and me have a strange relationship. I count songs like Fire and Rain and You've Got a Friend among my all time favorites, yet I have never bought a single JT CD. But watching him on TV last night has inspired me to get some, and learn at least a couple of his songs.
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
No doubt about it...I cut my teeth on a lot of JT's stuff and always wondered why I couldn't quite get it to sound just like him...go figure?!? "September Grass" is a great song. I always liked the ones that received little or no air time the best. Not to knock his hits as he's sure had a bunch of them. "The Secret of Life" is one of my all time favorites as well as "Lighthouse" from the album Gorilla with David Crosby and Graham Nash singing backup. What a vocal blend?!?

I voted for Lighthouse as the fan song to play for the Columbus, Ohio show but it wasn't on their list and it ended up being a night to play one by Carole that night anyway. One of my favorites and I haven't heard him play it live since the 80's.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 AM

Only one other person plays Millworker? It's my wife's favorite. No Blossom?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Fire & Rain, but more like Jonathan Butler did it.
Country Roads
You've Got a Friend
Shower The People
How Sweet It Is, more like JT then Marvin Gaye
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM

None anymore. There was a time when I could sit for a couple of hours playing his songs, but my interests have moved on.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_A View Post
ive been trying to learn Jim Croce songs the past few weeks (using Pete Huttlinger DVD) and would like to move on to James Taylor, but I couldnt find a good source of instructionals (videos and/or tab) for James Taylor songs...well there are a few on youtube and some on the popular guitar tab sites, but its just all over the place and not sure if they're accurate. im talking about finding the definitive source to learn JT songs.

anyone care to show me the way? thanks!!
Ditto for me. There are a number of score-type books with JT's songs, but none of those books have guitar tablature. It would be great if there were instructional DVDs (like Peter Huttlinger's) or books like Mark Hanson's with JT material. Does such a thing even exist?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD