The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 PM

Default Ibanez SS500 VLS

I've had my eye on the Ibanez SS500, since it came out a few years ago. It appears to be based on the artcore series. It has a beautiful nitrocellulose lacquer finish, solid spruce top, ebony fretboard, and flamed maple back and sides. It also has beautiful maple (I think) binding. The body width is very similar to the George Benson model and AG series Artcores (14.5") but the body depth is a little deeper at 3.125 inches.

Unfortunately, these were only sold in Japan and unfortunately, they seemed to have stopped making it already.

I happened to stumble across one on eBay last week and while the price would not be considered a steal, I jumped on the BIN price.

I received it on Friday, and have been playing it most of the weekend.

It sounds as beautiful as it looks. Couldn't be happier with my purchase. While I do have several Ibanez archtops, this one was a little pricier than the others. It was a bit of risk buying it more or less sight unseen. So I am very grateful that it worked out and that the guitar turned out to be such fine instrument.

Here's a few photos (from the eBay ad). Will try to post some video or recordings of it sometime soon.

Darryl

Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM

Great looking guitar! Is it deeper than the GB models? 15" body?

Enjoy, and play!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 PM

Thanks AG.

Yes, smaller body like the GB10...14.5" width. The body depth is 3-1/8" a the rim...much deeper than both the GB10 and the GB12/100.

Solid spruce top (pressed, not carved). Never had a solid top archtop before.

The lacquer finish, maple binding, flame maple...all very nice touches.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Default Ibanez SS500

I just got one last week, and wow - I can't put it down. I've never had a solid top archtop before and now, I don't think I could ever go back to a laminate. I couldn't find anything on the Internet about the finish - you say it's lacquer? Are you still digging yours?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallquan View Post
I just got one last week, and wow - I can't put it down. I've never had a solid top archtop before and now, I don't think I could ever go back to a laminate. I couldn't find anything on the Internet about the finish - you say it's lacquer? Are you still digging yours?
Yes...still digging it!

Congratulations! Glad to hear you are enjoying yours. I see them regularly on eBay now, so I guess more have made over to the U.S. from Japan.

I read on Ibanez' Japanese website that the finish was nitrocellulose lacquer.

It's my first solid top archtop. I have to say that while I think it sounds beautiful, I haven't picked up the nuances of the solid top as compared to my other electric archtops. Be that as it may, I really am enjoying the tone, fit and finish of this guitar.

Enjoy your new axe!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 PM

Congratulations on a stunning guitar.
I love the sound of an arch top,but alas I don't have the skill to make one sing.
Enjoy .
Old 04-07-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
... I haven't picked up the nuances of the solid top as compared to my other electric archtops.
Could you explain what you mean by that a little bit more, please? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
Could you explain what you mean by that a little bit more, please? Thanks!
While the SS500 VLS has a solid top, it does not sound much different than my other Ibanez archtops, all of which have laminated tops. Acoustically, it is not louder than nor more resonant than my laminated archtops. In fact, my Holst K200 which has a very nice laminated top sounds much louder acoustically than this solid top Ibanez.

I've played (but have not owned) solid top Benedetto, Tacoma, Ribbecke and Solomon guitars, all of which sounded wonderful acoustically.

In this case, while Ibanez made a very beautiful guitar with a wonderful amplified sound, I don't quite see the benefit of the solid top on this specific guitar.

Hope that explains a little more about what I meant in my original comment.

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
While the SS500 VLS has a solid top, it does not sound much different than my other Ibanez archtops, all of which have laminated tops. Acoustically, it is not louder than nor more resonant than my laminated archtops. In fact, my Holst K200 which has a very nice laminated top sounds much louder acoustically than this solid top Ibanez.

I've played (but have not owned) solid top Benedetto, Tacoma, Ribbecke and Solomon guitars, all of which sounded wonderful acoustically.

In this case, while Ibanez made a very beautiful guitar with a wonderful amplified sound, I don't quite see the benefit of the solid top on this specific guitar.

Hope that explains a little more about what I meant in my original comment.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot!
Makes things much clearer.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 PM

That is a very lovely looking guitar. I haven't been able to find one in the UK. There is an SJ500 for sale which is a larger version.

I am awaiting delivery of an SS300, which appears to be the same spec with a darker stain and a different tail piece. Apart from the fixed pickups it appears very similar to the GB-10 and half the price.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 05-01-2015, 06:03 AM

Very nice I must say... Enjoy it..
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 AM

That's a really nice looking guitar! Beautiful! Ibanez have been making very good archtop guitars for a long time. Enjoy it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops