The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default CA Cargo Harley-Davidson Edition

No, there isn't one, but please follow my thinking here...

HDs are the quintessential American freedom machine and I just bought a 2011 Road King in black (on order, will have it in April).

I own a CA Cargo in RT charcoal, and its big brother, a GXi in high-gloss tobacco burst. I love 'em both. The Cargo was/is (?) also made in the high-gloss tobacco burst finish. If you've seen this burst in person, it's exquisite and sure resembles the HD orange/black colors.

Now, imo, a tough, no-worry CF travel size guitar is ideal for motorcycle touring and the CA Cargo in tobacco burst in gloss (best to match the gloss of my new bike ), rt or raw, could sure fit the bill and come to represent the quintessential American freedom guitar if Peavey could strike a deal with HD for an HD commemorative model. I think it would be a marketing coo, even sold in HD dealerships. Some might think that Martin and HD might be the right match, but let's face it, motorcycling is all about the great outdoors and wood doesn't mix anywhere near as well with outside conditions as CF. The Cargo is a great sounding, quality instrument and along with a cool gigbag, what a way to promote CF guitars, CA/Peavey and HD!

Ford/HD worked out a deal for an HD F150, and there are probably other such deals, so why not this.

Then.......the coincidence of "Hartley" Peavey's first name is close-enough to add just another bit of marketing mojo.

I'm about to email the idea to Fred Poole at Peavey and send him the link to this thread (just did). If it were to ever happen, I'd hope to buy the first one (maybe at a discount )

If you're into either CA guitars, HDs, both, or neither, wuddya all think, even as a marketing opportunity for both?

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-12-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 AM

H-D will license their name to everything from coffee to toilet seats--for a fee. I suspect they will want Peavey to pay a hefty price for use of their name on a guitar. BTW, Gibson issued a limited edition H-D guitar around 1994--very nicely done.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Fred Poole just wrote me back. He spoke about the Orange County Chopper episodes and the Peavey OCC bike and electric guitar build (I have watched many OCC episodes but didn't know that), so they have experience with such things and he said my idea is a good one. He said maybe at some point as the CA brand advances, Peavey will consider contacting HD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber