The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-05-2019, 01:33 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,464
Default Reverb Part II (a.k.a. trying to sound like your guitar hero)

I'm getting there, I think. I'm closer than where I was on the reverb. Thanks everyone for help in that area.

My guitar hero, Stephen Wake:






Me playing on my Larrivee:


I'll have to become more of a student of reverb in addition to eq'ing as a whole, but I think practicing is more important right now. I want to learn the rest of this arrangement and quite a few others, otherwise it's just putting lipstick on a pig,
__________________
Barry
*
*
*
*
Ciuil Amuigh - traditional Scottish.




My music on Reverbnation

Misc. stuff on Soundcloud


2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

I'd rather be a good version of me than a bad version of someone else....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,861
Default

Sounds nice to me, Barry!
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,968
Default

Congrats, yours includes an airplane flying overhead.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2019, 02:26 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Sounds nice to me, Barry!
Thanks Doug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Congrats, yours includes an airplane flying overhead.
The air traffic around here seems to be attracted to microphones.

I'm so used to hearing them that I stop hearing them at times.....
__________________
Barry
*
*
*
*
Ciuil Amuigh - traditional Scottish.




My music on Reverbnation

Misc. stuff on Soundcloud


2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

I'd rather be a good version of me than a bad version of someone else....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Joseph Hanna Joseph Hanna is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon, CA
Posts: 2,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm getting there, I think. I'm closer than where I was on the reverb. Thanks everyone for help in that area.

My guitar hero, Stephen Wake:






Me playing on my Larrivee:


I'll have to become more of a student of reverb in addition to eq'ing as a whole, but I think practicing is more important right now. I want to learn the rest of this arrangement and quite a few others, otherwise it's just putting lipstick on a pig,
If youíre looking for your reverb to be complimentary of your guitar use a frequency response meter (without the reverb applied) and take note of what appears to be the fundamental sound of your guitar in any given take. Then apply a plus 2 or 3 dB bump at that frequency (wide q) with an eq plug in on the reverb aux. On the other hand that would decidedly not apply if youíre looking to recreated what a particular room sounds like. If youíre instead looking to get your guitar to sound like itís in an old cathedral the above ideas definitely donít apply.

Also, reverb tends to not do well below 100. Thatís not always the case but itís always worth testing.

I find most really great reverbs tend to lean towards supplementing the instrument itself. I find audio engineer Frank Filipetti creates beautiful reverbs. For reference listen to James Taylorís track ďGaiaĒ on the album ďHourglassĒ. Branford Marsalisí soprano sax part (after all these years) still gives me goosebumps. Itís of course the miraculous player but.....that reverb.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2019, 03:31 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,968
Default

Barry, I tweaked your Me recording:

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Temp/Tweaked Me.wav
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2019, 09:21 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Barry, I tweaked your Me recording:

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Temp/Tweaked Me.wav
Thanks Rick, it has a fuller sounding reverb. What did you do?
__________________
Barry
*
*
*
*
Ciuil Amuigh - traditional Scottish.




My music on Reverbnation

Misc. stuff on Soundcloud


2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

I'd rather be a good version of me than a bad version of someone else....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Rick, it has a fuller sounding reverb. What did you do?
Of course I started with your recording which you had already tweaked with reverb, etc. so I could not be too drastic.

Wake's recording is very much out of phase. That can sound just fine if you stay stereo. I added a bit of delay to one channel to decorrelate a bit.

I made the right and left volume levels closer to Wake's.

I boosted a bit three narrowish frequency bands in about the 250 to 800 range to more closely match Wake's.

I cut some in the higher frequencies to smooth out a little harshness.

Added a little more reverb.

Overall it's warmer than before but lacks some of the note definition in Wake's.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Of course I started with your recording which you had already tweaked with reverb, etc. so I could not be too drastic.

Wake's recording is very much out of phase. That can sound just fine if you stay stereo. I added a bit of delay to one channel to decorrelate a bit.

I made the right and left volume levels closer to Wake's.

I boosted a bit three narrowish frequency bands in about the 250 to 800 range to more closely match Wake's.

I cut some in the higher frequencies to smooth out a little harshness.

Added a little more reverb.

Overall it's warmer than before but lacks some of the note definition in Wake's.
Thanks Rick! I'm going to look into this.
__________________
Barry
*
*
*
*
Ciuil Amuigh - traditional Scottish.




My music on Reverbnation

Misc. stuff on Soundcloud


2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

I'd rather be a good version of me than a bad version of someone else....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Barry, I tweaked your Me recording:

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Temp/Tweaked Me.wav
a lot of distortion here that I don't hear on Barry's original?
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:42 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
a lot of distortion here that I don't hear on Barry's original?
More reverb for sure and more than I prefer myself. Other than that nothing changed that would cause distortion.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
More reverb for sure and more than I prefer myself. Other than that nothing changed that would cause distortion.
Weird, sounds like a fuzz box on my end. I thought maybe it was my web player, but I downloaded it, and sounds the same played thru any of my DAWs. Right from the 1st note. Don't see overdriven waveforms, but it sounds like serious clipping. Maybe it's just the reverb on top of Barry's reverb (on top of the airplane :-)
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:07 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Weird, sounds like a fuzz box on my end. I thought maybe it was my web player, but I downloaded it, and sounds the same played thru any of my DAWs. Right from the 1st note. Don't see overdriven waveforms, but it sounds like serious clipping. Maybe it's just the reverb on top of Barry's reverb (on top of the airplane :-)
Sounds fine to me in that regard. I prefer it because it's less harsh than prior. If started from scratch I might have put extra delay into the reverb to clear up the attack a bit - but who knows.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sounds fine to me in that regard. I prefer it because it's less harsh than prior. If started from scratch I might have put extra delay into the reverb to clear up the attack a bit - but who knows.
Very strange. Barry's track sounds nice and clean to me. Your mix sounds unusable. That's always the fear - not knowing how something sounds on someone else's system. It would have me digging for what's wrong with my playback, but everything else sounds fine. it'd be nice is there was some way to transport ourselves to someone else's listening environment!
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:17 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Very strange. Barry's track sounds nice and clean to me. Your mix sounds unusable. That's always the fear - not knowing how something sounds on someone else's system. It would have me digging for what's wrong with my playback, but everything else sounds fine. it'd be nice is there was some way to transport ourselves to someone else's listening environment!
Like I said prior, it sounds good to me. Now I am listening via headphones. If you are listening with speakers the extra reflections from the room you are in may in addition to the reverb in the recording turn things mushy.

Barry's recording sounds fine but compared to Wake's it is thinner and brighter. On the other hand Wake's is a bit honky sounding on some notes.
For my own stuff I am happy enough with a sound from such as http://dcoombsguitar.com/CDFive/WhereToDemo.mp3 to something a bit brighter and detailed
in other music types such as ragtime, blues, etc., for example http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Mu...huffleDemo.mp3

I never have ended up settling on something with heavy reverb.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs

Last edited by rick-slo; 05-06-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=