The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM

Default What kind of topwood?

My next build will have Indian Rosewood B/S. I'm wondering what I should use for the top - Spruce, Cedar, Redwood? What might be the +/- to one over another?

Thanks!

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM

What body shape is the build going to be?
If you are building for yourself, a bit of info about your playing style would help in choosing your top wood.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM

It will be OM sized, 12 frets to the body. I'm planning on a 24" scale length. I do mostly Travis picking, and strumming. Rarely use a pick for strumming.

I'm a Gordon Lightfoot fan, along with some parrot music and the like.

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 10-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdave View Post
It will be OM sized, 12 frets to the body. I'm planning on a 24" scale length. I do mostly Travis picking, and strumming. Rarely use a pick for strumming.

I'm a Gordon Lightfoot fan, along with some parrot music and the like.

i would suggest a soft spruce or cedar but all 3 are good choices however you go.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Default topwoods

Of course you've always got to start these discussions with the old "depends on the top in question" because there is a lot of variability within samples of a specific species of topwood. BUT, if you're comparing samples that are in the middle of the bell curve, cedar is the lightest, and will have an "open" sound almost from when you first string it up. I don't like working with it. It seems to dent if you breathe on it wrong. I've built a grand total of one guitar with cedar, and I don't think I'll do it again. WHen you say spruce, what kind of spruce. There's a lot of difference between Engleman, Sitka and Adirondack; the latter tending to be the densest. (with lots of examples that disprove the rule).

It also depends on what type of music you plan to play? Blugrass (probably not if you're looking at an OM), fingerstyle, etc. For my money, I'd go with a dense spruce paired with EIR for a guitar with some complexity, etc.

Lots of help, I know...:-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair