The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Very cool.

For the headstock perimeter, I suggest the blank recessed. That will allow your "N" in the middle to do more talking.

Keep the pix coming!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
I thought Somogyi's Andamento was intricate but yours is just mental...in a good way! It should be kept in a glass cabinet and never see darkness.
I don't know if you can really compared the two. one is carved out and the other is inlayed mosaic. Somogyi does some crazy carvings as well. but I do love this guitar! so pretty!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 AM

Andrew....you are an ARTIST ...
...Your passion shines true...
...BRAVO...

Last edited by Rollie; 11-27-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM

Thanks Rollie. Eric, I have to totally agree with you on that, but still an incredible compliment from stringjunky. Fine line inlays like the Andamento are very difficult if done by hand, and I'm sure those mosaic tiles took a long time to design and make.
So the headstock is starting to take shape now. I'm almost finished with the perimeter. It really does add a lot of depth and texture to the headstock. I'm hoping that I can finish that up tomorrow and start prepping for the carved logo. I'll try and post some more pics tomorrow evening of the headstock progress. Thanks for watching.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Well, I have the perimeter together on the headstock minus some cleaning up, but I'm not sure I like it. When it was on paper, I didn't really consider the color scheme, or lack there of, on this headstock. So, now I'm contemplating either tearing the headstock apart and starting over, or staining the perimeter. What do you all think?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelson View Post
Well, I have the perimeter together on the headstock minus some cleaning up, but I'm not sure I like it. When it was on paper, I didn't really consider the color scheme, or lack there of, on this headstock. So, now I'm contemplating either tearing the headstock apart and starting over, or staining the perimeter. What do you all think?
looks awesome! but seems like the rest of the guitar carving is really curvy and floral. I saw the sketch in the previous page. maybe too blocky? not sure if that makes sense. but love it so far!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM

I like it, but I see what you mean about the color. How about a black walnut stain brushed just in the deep parts of the border, but leave the high parts bright white? That should give it some depth and variation, especially when viewed from a distance.

Another interesting way to add color would be abalone shell. Inlay a piece of holly (or other wood) for the central carving, but border it in thin abalone, maybe leaving a micro thin strip of holly on either side of it too. Then inlay abalone for the N, and finally carve the holly around it. I'd go with the extra blue paua from Andy DePaule for the border, and either that or or green abalone heart for the N. I could send you a few pieces of either if you don't want to buy full ounces

This guitar is just too awesome!

Oh, and I like the "blocky" look of the headstock. Breaks up the monotony of the floral/curvy theme, and matches with the "frame" of the rosette. The standard Martin vine inlays are a good example of overly monotonous floral patterns, to the point that you just see it and think "yup, that's a floral pattern". I think you're doing a fine job of balancing it out

Last edited by dekutree64; 11-29-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks Deku for the suggestions. I thought about staining the inside only and thought it would be nearly impossible to do without partially staining the other parts. So, I cut some pieces from the redwood soundhole ring to inlay instead to see how it looks. Also, the abalone idea is one that I've been thinking about. I have decided to do an abalone purfling on the top, so maybe the headstock will need some as well.

It definitely adds some of the color that I was wanting.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Cool! I thought about suggesting redoing the whole thing, adding another layer below the holly that you could carve through to, but figured it was too wasteful of the work already done. You can get an even better effect this way, with radial grain on the pieces rather than all one direction with a layer, plus it doesn't show on the sides.

Definitely make those pieces thinner than the depth of the carving, so they're below the surface level and not just flat like normal inlay.

And here's another thought if you haven't gotten too far on cutting those pieces... rather than using plain redwood, you could make one of those stained glass looking mosaic things that are popular nowadays, with various shades of red/brown woods separated by purfling strips, and cut the pieces from that.

Or if you stick with plain redwood, maybe some burn shading around the outside?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:05 PM

Eric, I just saw your post now. What would your suggestion be for the headstock? The headstock shape is always what hangs me up on my builds. In fact, I haven't made two with the same shape yet. I'm always tweaking things.
Deku, I'd rather waste the work I've done and get an end product that I'm satisfied with, otherwise it would haunt me to no end. That's why I asked for suggestions. I'm totally open to scrapping the entire headstock if it doesn't flow right with the rest of the build. If the consensus is that the headstock needs to go, then I'd rather toss it now and start re-designing that part. Here are a couple of the most recent headstocks that I've used. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:47 PM

I get a very strong sense of the traditional in your design and think a slothead with it's own inherent visual complexity will balance with the body better than a paddlehead, maybe with a strong centre carving design or inlay to end the eye's journey. I like the converging shape in that slotted headstock of yours as well.

I'm sure whatever you choose will look lovely but that's my sense for what it's worth.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelson View Post
Eric, I just saw your post now. What would your suggestion be for the headstock?
not too sure. but I bet it will be stunning! but I hear you that a headstock that doesn't work can haunt you. take your time, looking great!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM

This guitar just screams for a slot head, and laminating the headstock to get a darker color in the recessed carved areas would be perfect.

There are so many ways to go, I can't imagine the amount of angst you go through trying to make a decision.

Love the project so far.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I decided yesterday that I was going to finish this headstock as planned, just to see what the end product will look like. If it doesn't work, then I'll be working up some designs for a slotted headstock and this headstock will go on one of my future builds. Yesterday I cut all of the redwood perimeter pieces and have set them in place, and man what difference that color made to the headstock. Today, I have been working on the center carving. It is rather deep, so it is taking longer than anticipated to carve since the Holly is so hard and my tooling is rather rudimentary. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for watching.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Well, this little carving was way harder than I anticipated, but I think it was well worth the work. I still haven't decided if it is what I will go with. I need your help in deciding that. One more thing that will be done to this headstock, is that the sides and back of it will be wrapped in ebony, except for the v which will remain visible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop