The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Hi Ryan,

Regarding the ambience thing, you're getting some room ambience with the recorder mic as far away from a speaker as it is. No need for extra reverb. Even if you were recording directly off the mixer (and using the PA as a monitor), you'd still get a little ambience with some of the speaker sound bouncing off walls before going into your vocal mic. The sound is pretty good, considering, especially the direct-from-pickup guitar sound with your B-Band dual source. (You are right. The B-Band rig will be a tough act for the JJB rig to follow.)

Regarding the lighting problem, that's why I just ordered a Kodak Zi8. That little bugger seems to work surprisingly well in low light, judging by the examples which I've seen so far. It appears to be a pretty "low maintenance" device.

Gary
Old 11-22-2009, 05:07 PM

Ryan, I enjoyed both, but I liked "BR Window..." the best. Like others have already opined, I like your acoustic, bluesy rendition of it.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Ryan,

Cool videos. I hope I don't get flamed too much by saying that stylewise, I like your bluesy take on the Bathroom Window better than the original style. I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks a bunch, Ernie. I don't think you'll get flamed here. I'm tickled that you like my stylings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
Ryan, nice Beatles covers! The Beatles are a favorite, and I love acoustic arrangements songs like these. Thanks for sharing them. Gives my ideas of things to learn for myself as well. One thing I like about the arrangements here is that they are within my singing range. I have not sung a lot yet, and I am in kind of a Bass/baritone range. When I do my beloved Neil Young songs, I have to stay an octave lower than him most of the time. These I think I could do. Thanks again for sharing your nice recordings.

Actually I usually play tuned down a half step due to my fairly low vocal range, Svl. A lot of times I play songs in a completely different key than the original artists although I try to be as close as possible to the original when I can. Glad you liked them and I hope to hear something of yours soon. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Hi Ryan,

Regarding the ambience thing, you're getting some room ambience with the recorder mic as far away from a speaker as it is. No need for extra reverb. Even if you were recording directly off the mixer (and using the PA as a monitor), you'd still get a little ambience with some of the speaker sound bouncing off walls before going into your vocal mic. The sound is pretty good, considering, especially the direct-from-pickup guitar sound with your B-Band dual source. (You are right. The B-Band rig will be a tough act for the JJB rig to follow.)

Regarding the lighting problem, that's why I just ordered a Kodak Zi8. That little bugger seems to work surprisingly well in low light, judging by the examples which I've seen so far. It appears to be a pretty "low maintenance" device.
Gary

Thanks, Gary. The lighting problem was my own doing actually. I purposely set the light low. I was having a bad hair day . I usually add reverb as that room is small and kind of dead. My vocals need all the help they can get, but I suppose I overdid it a little . I will do a similar video with a JJB pickup soon..... and yes that Zi8 sounds like a great little device.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Ryan, I enjoyed both, but I liked "BR Window..." the best. Like others have already opined, I like your acoustic, bluesy rendition of it.

Thanks a bunch for the support as always, Bob.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM

Well, it may get be banned permanantely from the forum, but I am not really a fan of the Beatles... gasp.. lol. HOWEVER, I do appreciate a good cover and I think you did a good job.

And the lighting? Gotta get a clearer image, man! Hey, if I can put my big ol' fat face out there in the "internets" for all the world to laugh at, you cant let bad hair hold you back!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCreyeder View Post
Well, it may get be banned permanantely from the forum, but I am not really a fan of the Beatles... gasp.. lol. HOWEVER, I do appreciate a good cover and I think you did a good job.

And the lighting? Gotta get a clearer image, man! Hey, if I can put my big ol' fat face out there in the "internets" for all the world to laugh at, you cant let bad hair hold you back!

I was actually NOT a Beatles fan at all til I started playing guitar years ago and heard Norwegian Wood on the radio. Of course I had probably heard it many times as a kid and paid little attention to it. All of a sudden I started listening to some of their other acoustic songs and I was hooked. Any future videos will be much clearer BTW, "bad hair" or not . Thanks for the comments.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell