The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Default 2 covers

First is a simple, sleepy version of an obscure David Gate's original called Belonging. Some hiss on this one but too lazy to retrack the guits.

Second is a very simple, sleepy (see a pattern?) tribute to a Bonnie Raitt song. Nope, I don't sound anything like her but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. She's one my very favorite artists.

WARNING: You're gonna need some coffee after listening to these two. One of these days, I'll have to sing me an upbeat happy song.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=248672

Last edited by Sage97; 07-27-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Sage,

Good job, I like your voice.

Question, what do you do with Soundclick and posting "covers", they have a lot of "rules" what do you do?

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-27-2008, 08:29 PM

I confess to never requesting permission from the publisher or the owner of the songs. My postings are illegally done per soundclick rules. This does concern me some but I'm pretty sure I am not the only one - this obviously does not justify things. Never could figure out how this was different from youtube other than the fact that youtube may not have the same rules?

Additionally, I also make sure that all of the songs cannot be downloaded, just streamed and I clearly indicate that this is a cover song from an artist I admire.

What do you think Rich? Should I take out all my covers?

Last edited by Sage97; 07-27-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 PM

i highly doubt anyone is going to mind that you do a cover of their song unless you are making money off of it. quite honestly i find it pointless for them to pursue it unless you're really making bank! music is music, i would be absolutely floored if someone wanted to cover one of my songs, haha.

i would not take them down. and oh, now i will give them a listen.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:59 AM

Whether or not you are making any money from covers isn't the point - I may be wrong, but I should think that the copyright owners are losing money they should be receiving for the use and reproduction of their property.
Asking permission is a pain, but you may well find that for Soundclick listen only purposes many copyright holders would be quite happy for you to use their material without charge providing you acknowledge the appropriate person(s) and or/companies, after all, if the cover is of a good standard its good advertising!
Bye now
Keith
Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
Whether or not you are making any money from covers isn't the point - I may be wrong, Keith
I don't think you're wrong at all.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Liberty Trio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
Whether or not you are making any money from covers isn't the point - I may be wrong, but I should think that the copyright owners are losing money they should be receiving for the use and reproduction of their property.
Keith
Does the band at your corner bar on Saturday night pay royalties?

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"
Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM

I use n-track software to record on my PC. Their forum is having a recording contest, and the songs are on Soundclick. One category is cover songs, so I don't there's a problem, as Soundclick is offering a free membership as one of the prizes.

This comes up now and again. Establishments pay to have music played, that covers artists doing covers.

Sage, I always enjoy your music....

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Hey raulb, as valleyguy has said, the venue is responsible for covers royalties, and in the UK at least, the owner should have payed for a licence, the money from which goes, at least in part, towards paying copyright holders. There have been many occasions when I have been asked by venues to supply a list of items performed + composer details so that the venue can comply with its legal obligations. Not really much of a a problem for either me or the fiddle/guitar duo and folk band in which I play anyway as we do a lot of stuff I have written plus trad tunes. The church worship band in which I also play does play loads of copyrighted material, but here again we, as a church, subscribe to, and pay handsomely into, a copyright licensing scheme which pays royalties to those concerned based on the annual report which I submit regarding those songs we have sung, photocopied, projected or recorded.
Soundclick states very clearly the rules applying re covers before you upload songs - you need written permisssion from the copyright holder(s) and must be prepared to pay royalties to them if they require it.
I'm basically a serious hobbyist when it comes to writing music, but some folks make their living from it and I wouldn't want to knowingly deprive them of rightful income.

Keith
Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Sage,

I really enjoyed your recordings! Keepem coming amigo! BTW, I would love to see you invest in some high end recording equipment, you would greatly benefit from it, considering your level of talent. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanks Fred and Rick. Were they not too slow and sleepy for you?

Rick, been thinking about upgrading but GAS is striking me elsewhere. Let me know if you have any used gear that you're ready to part with.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I confess to never requesting permission from the publisher or the owner of the songs. My postings are illegally done per soundclick rules. This does concern me some but I'm pretty sure I am not the only one - this obviously does not justify things. Never could figure out how this was different from youtube other than the fact that youtube may not have the same rules?

Additionally, I also make sure that all of the songs cannot be downloaded, just streamed and I clearly indicate that this is a cover song from an artist I admire.

What do you think Rich? Should I take out all my covers?
Not your stuff. I'd take 'em down unless you get an OK.

Ty Ford
Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulb View Post
Does the band at your corner bar on Saturday night pay royalties?
The venue pays ASCAP or BMI so the band doesn't have to. In addition, it's a live performance, not a recording made by the band. That's slightly different than posting a recording of you playing someone else's material on the Internet.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Not your stuff. I'd take 'em down unless you get an OK.

Ty Ford
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep that in mind.

Not trying to change topic here how is it different from posting covers on youtube? Does youtube also have similar requirements or does the different medium (video) have different rules? What about coffee shop open mics where some people do covers? Or maybe the neighborhood association barbecues with a live band that does covers?

I am uneducated in these matters hence the questions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell