The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default 1st multi track tune in a while - opinions wanted

I'm improvising the 2nd track (lead section - also the 1st guitar part needs refining as well) so it is subject to change. Would it sound better with an electric guitar or just apply a touch of effects to the lead 2nd guitar?

d (rough draft)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 PM

My suggestion is to take it slow, Barry.
Come up with some distinct parts for each guitar, record them so each part can be heard clearly. Try achieve some sort of separation and have the parts support each other. Personally, I would stay away from improvesation at this point until you have more experience in multi-track recording, otherwise it sounds like a waterfall of notes all over the place.
I'm sure Mr.Womack or Mr.Larry could give you some pointers...
Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
My suggestion is to take it slow, Barry.
Come up with some distinct parts for each guitar, record them so each part can be heard clearly. Try achieve some sort of separation and have the parts support each other. Personally, I would stay away from improvesation at this point until you have more experience in multi-track recording, otherwise it sounds like a waterfall of notes all over the place.
I'm sure Mr.Womack or Mr.Larry could give you some pointers...
Thanks Bern.

Back to the ol' drawing board.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Bern on taking it slow, but I hear two very complimentary parts here. Keep working on this you've really got something worth pursuing here.
Keep us posted
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM

Barry,
I'm fairly new at home recording myself so I don't want you rely much on my comments but, I really like the how you have blended the tracks. Your volume and tone seemed consistant. I know it was a rough draft, but for the most part, it sounded like two guitars playing together on the same track. I'm not good enough to get the same results on my multi-track recordings.

Where you may have to go back to the drawing board, I pretty much stay there all the time. I think it is a great start and certainly would give you a nice couple of tract to build upon. Good job.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 PM

You've got some good ideas happening and I liked the tune. Lots of potential. Some ideas... As you mentioned, it's a rough draft... and the lead guitar could be tighter rhythmically with the accompaniment, and the quick ornamental figures the lead plays (:15) perhaps need some rehearsal to get really clearly articulated, or retracked with a different figure there. Interesting musical ideas overall in the lead line and you could bring out its character even more by using more dynamics in the playing. A good exercise in doing that is simply to do contour dynamics, where you play louder as the line gets higher and vice versa. It's a start in getting more used to using more dynamics anyway.

I wouldn't replace the lead acoustic with an electric.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
I agree with Bern on taking it slow, but I hear two very complimentary parts here. Keep working on this you've really got something worth pursuing here.
Keep us posted
Thanks! I'll keep working at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
Barry,
I'm fairly new at home recording myself so I don't want you rely much on my comments but, I really like the how you have blended the tracks. Your volume and tone seemed consistant. I know it was a rough draft, but for the most part, it sounded like two guitars playing together on the same track. I'm not good enough to get the same results on my multi-track recordings.

Where you may have to go back to the drawing board, I pretty much stay there all the time. I think it is a great start and certainly would give you a nice couple of tract to build upon. Good job.
Thanks, Biggs. You're right, I need separation of the two tracks. I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll have to spend some time experimenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
You've got some good ideas happening and I liked the tune. Lots of potential. Some ideas... As you mentioned, it's a rough draft... and the lead guitar could be tighter rhythmically with the accompaniment, and the quick ornamental figures the lead plays (:15) perhaps need some rehearsal to get really clearly articulated, or retracked with a different figure there. Interesting musical ideas overall in the lead line and you could bring out its character even more by using more dynamics in the playing. A good exercise in doing that is simply to do contour dynamics, where you play louder as the line gets higher and vice versa. It's a start in getting more used to using more dynamics anyway.

I wouldn't replace the lead acoustic with an electric.

Thanks Tim. Great advice. Should each track be a mono recording or does it matter? I did the first track as a stereo mp2 and then imported it in as the first track. Something tells me I should have started out in multi track mode. I'm also thinking about using two different guitars instead of just the one.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Not half bad Barry and you can best learn by doing. There is some melody and purpose in there. You might try some panning and perhaps some other tricks to make it sound like two different guitars (assuming that is what you are trying to do).
Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 AM

Default Nice

I thought this was a very nice piece all around.Good composition--Would like to hear the final product...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Not half bad Barry and you can best learn by doing. There is some melody and purpose in there. You might try some panning and perhaps some other tricks to make it sound like two different guitars (assuming that is what you are trying to do).
Rick
Thanks Rick. Panning - that's what it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolor44 View Post
I thought this was a very nice piece all around.Good composition--Would like to hear the final product...
Thanks!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Good stuff, keep working at it.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco View Post
Good stuff, keep working at it.
Thanks Coco. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell