The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Default Fingerstyle players - how often to change strings when gigging?

I like to leave my strings on for a good 2-3 months. I play most every day for a few hours at least, but don't gig. The strings do lose their brilliance but I like a more muted mellow warmer sound so it suits me. But I was wondering for those who were gigging.Do you find that you need to change your strings more often, and if so how often? I would think that playing amplified makes it much less Important to do but that's just me guessing.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM

It's going to sound trite but, honestly, it's when they need replacing. I go by feel and sound. I don't have a X hours then replace.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

I change them when I notice the intonation going, mostly, so amplification has little to do with it. I don't keep track, really. I could be a few months on a guitar I don't play all that often, or a week on a guitar that's just gotten plenty of playing time.
Old Today, 03:42 AM

I know of folks who put on a new set before every gig. Others every 2 or 3 gigs.

Then there are others who change them when ever. It's all personal taste and what you feel comfortable with.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old Today, 05:38 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
I know of folks who put on a new set before every gig. Others every 2 or 3 gigs.

Then there are others who change them when ever. It's all personal taste and what you feel comfortable with.
Same.

The guy I know that gigs professionally all over the country changes them before every show. He is an acoustic singer/songwriter, so it's just him up there... and he hates to have a string break during a performance. That is his main reason for new strings for every show.
Old Today, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

I’m addicted to that clear, pianistic sound in the lower bass strings. I am not a guy who prefers that “dead, woody” sound. Consequently, I change them frequently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion