The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 AM

Default Any Love For Godin Electrics Here?

I have been thinking about getting an electric guitar primarily for blues and am seriously considering a Godin Summit CT. It is essentially a slimmed down and streamlined Tele shape with a Les Paul vibe to it (short scale; carved top; Seymour Duncan humbuckers). It has a great feeling neck with rounded fingerboard ebony fingerboard that gives it a played in feel without the fret wear. The bass side of the guitar has quite a bit of relief so that the guitar is light and fits like a glove. Tone is good, at least as far as I can tell on the not so great amps that my local stocking dealer has. There is a very interesting revoicing on the fly switch and a pickup switch similar to the S-1 setup on some Strats which gives the guitar a lot of flexibility. Controls aside, it feels a lot like a PRS single cut.

Supposedly the guitar is intended primarily for rock but of course that also takes up a lot of blues territory. I have read a couple of reviews raving about its "thick Les Paul tones."

Does anyone have any experience with this guitar or Godins generally? I was in love with the Montreal for a long time, but this guitar is smaller, solid instead of semi hollow, less ambitious and significantly cheaper. I also really like the idea of buying an entirely North American guitar. I can't seem to love Seagulls, but most of the non-Multilac Godin electrics really speak to me.

In the past I have owned a Strat and a Les Paul Studio. I like this guitar better than those two. Given my druthers, I would love a nice carved top Les Paul, but I am afraid those guitars are well beyond what I am willing to spend. The Summit CT is lighter, just as easy to play (easier if you count not having to deal with the weight) and I can get it for less than a third of the Les Paul that I really want. I suppose that Strats are really the go to choice for blues but they just don't do much for me and they have gotten wildly expensive.

I don't really see this guitar as a compromise however because it has some features that I actually prefer expecially when price is considered.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by schooner; 07-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 PM

Love my A6 Ultra! It's well built, the electronics are solid, and it has very good tone plugged in. I find that the stock humbucker is warm without being muddy.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 PM

love my Godin Flat Five, very well made and a real value for the price.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks for these replies, guys. Anyone else?

Last edited by schooner; 07-28-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post
I have been thinking about getting an electric guitar primarily for blues and am seriously considering a Godin Summit CT. It is essentially a slimmed down and streamlined Tele shape with a Les Paul vibe to it (short scale; carved top; Seymour Duncan humbuckers). It has a great feeling neck with rounded fingerboard ebony fingerboard that gives it a played in feel without the fret wear. The bass side of the guitar has quite a bit of relief so that the guitar is light and fits like a glove. Tone is good, at least as far as I can tell on the not so great amps that my local stocking dealer has. There is a very interesting revoicing on the fly switch and a pickup switch similar to the S-1 setup on some Strats which gives the guitar a lot of flexibility. Controls aside, it feels a lot like a PRS single cut.

Supposedly the guitar is intended primarily for rock but of course that also takes up a lot of blues territory. I have read a couple of reviews raving about its "thick Les Paul tones."

Does anyone have any experience with this guitar or Godins generally? I was in love with the Montreal for a long time, but this guitar is smaller, solid instead of semi hollow, less ambitious and significantly cheaper. I also really like the idea of buying an entirely North American guitar. I can't seem to love Seagulls, but most of the non-Multilac Godin electrics really speak to me.

In the past I have owned a Strat and a Les Paul Studio. I like this guitar better than those two. Given my druthers, I would love a nice carved top Les Paul, but I am afraid those guitars are well beyond what I am willing to spend. The Summit CT is lighter, just as easy to play (easier if you count not having to deal with the weight) and I can get it for less than a third of the Les Paul that I really want. I suppose that Strats are really the go to choice for blues but they just don't do much for me and they have gotten wildly expensive.

I don't really see this guitar as a compromise however because it has some features that I actually prefer expecially when price is considered.

Thanks for your comments.
Actually, I actually own a Godin Summit CT. It's the most versatile electric I've even owned. It can sound like a Les Paul with a bit of "air" or a Strat/Tele with more beef. And it's construction is top notch.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 PM

I gigged with an A6 Ultra prior to my T5z. The T5z has a bridge magnetic pickup making the T5z more useful to me than the A6. Godin makes excellent quality instruments and if they've got what you want, then go for it. If I blended the humbucker and the UST on the A6, I got a really wonderful musical tone, though maybe not an idealized electric-acoustic equivalent. The T5z is probably no better at that benchmark.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-22-2016, 12:38 AM

I've been a fan of Godin guitars since the 90s. I have several: an A6 Ultra, an Exit 22 (with better pickups), and an old Artisan ST-1 I bought in about 1993 that was literally my only electric guitar from then until just a few years ago. I also have an old Seagull (same company).

Godin make excellent guitars at incredible prices. As someone else said, if they have what you want, don't hesitate.

Last edited by midwinter; 01-22-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:06 AM
Guest4562

Mine is an LGXSA. Very versatile instrument and a high degree of quality.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:31 AM

A bandmate has a Godin 5th Ave. - I'd give it a solid B in overall quality and value.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:37 AM

Considering the 5th avenue is a $500 entry level guitar, I'd say that's a ringing endorsement. If their $500 guitar gets a B, what does their $1500 one get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
A bandmate has a Godin 5th Ave. - I'd give it a solid B in overall quality and value.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

This thread is NINE years old.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Considering the 5th avenue is a $500 entry level guitar, I'd say that's a ringing endorsement. If their $500 guitar gets a B, what does their $1500 one get?

My comment was not meant to be a slam on the guitar - it's a decent enough instrument.

This particular 5th Avenue is the dual P90 equipped one, for $1000, btw.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:40 PM

Oh, I didn't read it as a slam at all. Their guitars—at all levels—tend to be great investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
My comment was not meant to be a slam on the guitar - it's a decent enough instrument.

This particular 5th Avenue is the dual P90 equipped one, for $1000, btw.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:27 PM

I own two - an acoustic 5th Avenue (the S500 one) and the twin-pickup CW II referenced above (paid a whole lot less than $1K for it, BTW) - had a couple students who owned Triumph solidbodies (the sparkly ones), and it's the only brand I can reasonably say that I could buy rignt now, sight unseen/unheard, and be assured of getting a top-notch instrument from the get-go; another +1 here...
Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
This thread is NINE years old.
OK, well, it's a current one now.

Someone mentioned the $500 vs $1500 levels and quality. I'd go with an A on mine. It is very Les Paulish in its construction, but given it's versatility, I'd rather have it than a Les Paul.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars