The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-15-2016, 05:50 PM

Default Fender Question

I know Fender electrics are made all over - China, Japan, Mexico etc

The necks of the guitars from the different countries - is the overall quality as diverse as it is for the rest of the guitar?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 PM

The Chinese necks can be very inconsistent IME - woe to you if you get a bad one; I find the Mexican necks very similar to the "modern" USA Fender necks, and the MIJ necks more traditional (read early-1961 skinny/fast - my favorite, BTW) as well as exceptionally consistent. Problem is that not too many Japanese models make their way here anymore, for a variety of reasons; if you're serious you'll either need to find a good used one from the '80s/90s (good luck with that) or get in touch with an authorized Fender dealer in Japan (there are a few who advertise regularly in Vintage Guitar magazine) and try to import one directly...
Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

And in the last few years there is another factor in the necks: As they tried to bring their quality back up, Fender has decided to set the American guitars apart and above by hand-rolling the shoulders of their necks to make them feel a bit more comfortable and broken-in. I discovered this kind of the hard way: I went out on a search to prove right the folks who said the made-in-Mexico guitars felt and sounded as good as the American ones. Unfortunately I found the opposite to be true and had to reflect that in my reviews.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:54 AM

I honestly couldn't see/feel any difference for what it's worth.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:22 AM

For aesthetic reasons I don't like the way they cut the fret slots on the Chinese maple fingerboards (Fender and Squier). They cut the edges of the fret slot (hopefully not straight across the fingerboard) very deeply and fill it with a maple colored putty. It seems lately they are moving more of the Squiers to Indonesia and those ones look more like a North American Fender. Many of the Chinese necks appear to be quarter sawn, which might be a plus.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM

My advice for electrics is the same as for acoustics. Play the guitar. If you like the neck, sound, tone.... buy it. If not, pass. Electric guitars can be almost as different, guitar to guitar, as acoustics. Tone, of course, doesn't matter as much because they are always plugged in and modified but feel does matter to me. I've loved my U.S. Strats and Teles but I've had some MIM's that were just as good.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Play a lot and buy what feels right. My strat and tele are MIMs and I like their feel and tone. The necks feel perfect to me.

Todd
Old 01-17-2016, 03:39 PM

I will be buying the Fender based on the neck but not as the whole guitar.

I've relocated to Houston and there is an over abundance of Telecasters and Stratocasters in the pawn shops here. If I can find a good neck for under $100 then the plan is to buy a body, pups etc and have me a nice little work project.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars