The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 11:03 PM

Default Playing a Yamaha FS 800 before buying? String gage?

Do they all come through basically the same even though they have a solid spruce top? I would think there might be some sound variances from one to another because of the top, but for 200 bucks, maybe no? Either buy from GS, or order on line and save the tax? Not sure how great they would be from GS.

Also, I was thinking of putting on EJ15's to make it easier on the old finger tips. Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Do they all come through basically the same even though they have a solid spruce top? I would think there might be some sound variances from one to another because of the top, but for 200 bucks, maybe no? Either buy from GS, or order on line and save the tax? Not sure how great they would be from GS.

Also, I was thinking of putting on EJ15's to make it easier on the old finger tips. Any thoughts?

I owned a Fs800. In my experience Yamahas are pretty consistent. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy online though you may want to try one out in person if you are not sure about it.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:20 AM

mass produced gutiars are inconsistent, atleast when compared to individually built and voiced guitars. A one size fits all approach does not make all the guitars sound good. Youll have a mixed bunch. some that are duds, some decent, and some that are great. See if GS will match the online prices
Old 11-21-2018, 02:56 AM

I just wish GS had several to play as I have played several Gibsons, like more than a few J-200's and several Birds and J-45's etc. that were lackluster sounding to say the least, and always wondered if Gibson just sent them their so-so's that came of the line. That's just my experience in the few GS's that i've been in. Maybe other GS stores are better I would hope.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 AM

Who is GS? Guitar Senter?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-21-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:

It is always best to play a guitar before purchasing it. No two will ever be exactly alike. I've been in a Yamaha mood lately and just bought an FG830. I compared the Yamaha FG800, FG820 and FG830 to each other. As the model numbers increased, so did the tone. All three had solid spruce tops. I would think that the FS series would be similar to the FG series in that regard.

Yesterday, I compared two Yamaha A1CM guitars to each other. A sunburst and a vintage natural finish. But the burst was an amazing guitar and I will probably pick it up today. There was a significant difference between the two guitars in tone and feel, even though they were made of the same materials in the same factory.

Like you, I have old fingers. My new FG830 was a little hard to play. I had to cut the nut slots, sand the bridge saddle and adjust the truss rod. Now it plays great and sounds great. A good setup makes a big difference.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 11-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post

That was my question too.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1953 View Post
It is always best to play a guitar before purchasing it. No two will ever be exactly alike. I've been in a Yamaha mood lately and just bought an FG830. I compared the Yamaha FG800, FG820 and FG830 to each other. As the model numbers increased, so did the tone. All three had solid spruce tops. I would think that the FS series would be similar to the FG series in that regard.

Yesterday, I compared two Yamaha A1CM guitars to each other. A sunburst and a vintage natural finish. But the burst was an amazing guitar and I will probably pick it up today. There was a significant difference between the two guitars in tone and feel, even though they were made of the same materials in the same factory.

Like you, I have old fingers. My new FG830 was a little hard to play. I had to cut the nut slots, sand the bridge saddle and adjust the truss rod. Now it plays great and sounds great. A good setup makes a big difference.

Good luck on your purchase!

FG800 = nato back and sides
FG820 = mahogany back and sides
FG830 = rosewood beck and sides
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Be sure to play an 830 before you buy an 800.
As was already stated, the 830 has better sound and is well worth the extra $100.00.

PS I have found the yamahas to be quite consistent.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:10 AM

I bought a FS700s about 2 1/2 years ago. For $169 on sale it has been a wonderful 'take anywhere' kind of guitar. I keep mine strung with Elixer Polyweb Lights (12-53).

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post

Good question LOL
Old 11-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the responses. Just looking for a couch beater, but Gary, you have me thinking about the dif between natural and tobacco, same AIM guitars. Stain wouldn't make any dif in sound, and that tells me to check as many models as possible at GC. You guys didn't know that there's a new store called Guitar Senter?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Just looking for a couch beater, but Gary, you have me thinking about the dif between natural and tobacco, same AIM guitars. Stain wouldn't make any dif in sound, and that tells me to check as many models as possible at GC. You guys didn't know that there's a new store called Guitar Senter?
I posted that about two guitars, not to say that the color made a difference. Just to say that no two pieces of wood are identical and neither are two guitars of the same model. Each guitar is the sum of its parts.

I did buy that sunburst Yamaha A1CM this afternoon. Before finalizing the sale I compared it again to similar priced Martins and a Breedlove. This particular Yamaha sounded best.

Guitar Senter? I call my local shop “Guitar Denter” because the guitars sometimes have shop wear.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 PM

try out the FG820/FS820 also. I really like the tone they put out. especially the FS.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 11-22-2018, 12:33 PM

My beginner guitar was an FG700 (older version of the FG800) which I still own. Played it for a year before I realized it really needed a set-up. Got good calluses though...

Great beginner guitar and the factory strings are really good.

Since then I've bought a second FG700 which I sold and also own an FS830.

You can't go wrong with FG or FS800 for $200. FG has bigger body and slightly more bass. As mentioned, FG or FS830 will have better tone but you may not know the difference anyway.

If you are going to buy online, I suggest Sweetwater.

Good Luck.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion