The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Default 614ce w ES1... metal plate under bridge???

I've got a 2011 614ce with the ES1 system. It's got an under-neck pickup and two body pickups (I think... I could only see one with a mirror).

I had the inclination to try to look for the body sensors with a mirror, but when I peaked under the hood I was really surprised to see a metal plate with the ball ends of the strings and bridge pins protruding through. It appears that a ground wire is attached to it, which would explain why it's there, but all this time I thought the ball ends were butted up against wood underneath the bridge.

How did I miss this? I wonder how the metal plate transfers vibrations and changes the tone (not that I'm complaining or really need to know). But I do know that I really got a big improvement in sound when I changed the TUSQ saddle to bone.

Just bringing this up for discussion. Anyone else not realize the metal plate was there on ES1? [Sorry I couldn't get the plate in focus, but you can see what I'm seeing anyway.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 614_underneath.jpg (33.6 KB, 83 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-20-2018, 07:15 PM

Looks like a Plate mate. Its purpose is to reinforce or act as an upgrade to the bridge plate.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 PM

It's an electrical ground plate, part of the pickup system. There is probably a special "slow-blow" fuse in there too to protect from electrical shock. A little research on the Taylor web site will fill in the blanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 PM

I stand corrected! I just looked into a 2013 Taylor 455ce with ES1.2 and it has that same plate. The wire from the plate runs to the end pin jack.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Looks like a Plate mate.
Would function as one though I guess? Thats quite fortunate for OP and whoever else has the metal plates under
Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 AM

Bob Taylor has mentioned this quite a few times in videos when the he claimed the ES-1 was the greatest acoustic guitar pickup system ever known to man (of course that was before they invented the ES-2). The magnetic pickup could potentially create an electronic hazard to the guitar player when coupled with the steel strings. To prevent this, the grounding plate is set it place.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 AM

Yep. 'Fused string ground'. More detail here:

https://www.mooreguitars.com/taylor-...ion-system-es/
Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Looks like a Plate mate. Its purpose is to reinforce or act as an upgrade to the bridge plate.
I have to suspect that the wire coming from the plate is a ground wire, must like you see on Stratocaters and other electric guitars. What other purpose would it have? But the ball ends are snugged up against it so I suppose it would serve unintentionally to protect the bridge from string wear. But I have to wonder if it has any impact on the sound, not that I'm complaining. But if one were to try to install a Power Pin set, would you need to use their plate in addition to the one that's on the guitar?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion