The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM

Default This is what a fully torrefied guitar sounds like...

Top (Adi) and back and sides (Maple) are both torrefied

Fast forward to about the middle to hear it.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

A few thoughts:

- I love Bourgeois guitars, and find them and Santa Cruz guitars to be the most universally excellent in that price range.
- It’s really hard for me to tell how much I’m going to like a guitar based on YT videos.
- That said, this guitar sounds like too much of a good thing. It sounds super-responsive and loaded with overtones, but it also sounds like it would get really muddy with chords or any heavy play. Notice that his demo is completely picked single notes and fingerstyle.

I might love it in my own hands, but the demo suggests to me that I probably wouldn’t.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
A few thoughts:

- I love Bourgeois guitars, and find them and Santa Cruz guitars to be the most universally excellent in that price range.
- It’s really hard for me to tell how much I’m going to like a guitar based on YT videos.
- That said, this guitar sounds like too much of a good thing. It sounds super-responsive and loaded with overtones, but it also sounds like it would get really muddy with chords or any heavy play. Notice that his demo is completely picked single notes and fingerstyle.

I might love it in my own hands, but the demo suggests to me that I probably wouldn’t.
Probably great for fingerstyle, but the emboldened part of the above statement rings true (to me anyways).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-20-2018, 08:48 AM

Interestingly, Dana’s guitars have a fantastic sound whether torefied or not. That’s a demo of THAT guitar. I’ve not heard a Bourgeois in the past 10 years I wouldn’t have.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Probably great for fingerstyle, but the emboldened part of the above statement rings true (to me anyways).
I agree with your aggrement about the “to much of a good thing” statement.
However, I think a lot of that has to do with the mic placement. Pointing the mic directly (or almost directly) at the sound is the worst possible placement, especially with a big bold sounding guitar.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Wouldn’t a “fully” torrified be just a pile of black ash? Seems like you have to stop somewhere short of full in the baking process

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 11-20-2018, 06:25 PM

I too love Dana's guitars. But that guitar (at least based on the recording) is too "in your face" and I think would be problematic if strummed hard. I don't think I'm a big fan of torrefication in general. I think it can make an instrument sound a bit stiff and less warm. Definitely not hearing enough warmth in the example recording.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-20-2018, 06:48 PM

That guitar sounds great! Haha, too-much-of-a-good-thing makes me think of food that tastes too delicious, a woman that is too beautiful, a sunset that is too colorful. I'll take it without complaint!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Whoooaa.... Thats the sound I like..
Old 11-21-2018, 06:37 AM

I listened through my good headphones. The guitar sounded like a very good guitar to me. I can't say it was over the top because of the torrefaction. YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-21-2018, 07:18 AM

A fine instrument, not too much if anything. It handled the pick very well, with no adverse response to my ear.

Can’t see why anyone could fault it, yet it happens for reasons that are hard to explain given the sound clip.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Interestingly, Dana’s guitars have a fantastic sound whether torefied or not. That’s a demo of THAT guitar. I’ve not heard a Bourgeois in the past 10 years I wouldn’t have.
I agree. That's a beautiful guitar, but let's not assume that this is what every fully torrefied guitar sounds like, or that you can turn any guitar into a Bourgeois by baking the wood a bit.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 AM

I have direct experience with a torrified EIR+Adi dread from Bob Thompson. It basically sounds like the rosewood DN in this clip, minus the expert musician. I also have an OM with a torrified Englemann top. The Brazilian rosewood back/sides were really old and probably didn't need to be torrified. Very happy with both guitars.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:11 AM

Sounds outstanding to my ears...from what I can tell from a YT video. Just another in a long line of superb guitars from Dana.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
Sounds outstanding to my ears...from what I can tell from a YT video. Just another in a long line of superb guitars from Dana.
And to my ears as well. This is one of those guitars that in the hands of versatile players present a ton of possibilities. In my experience, these kinds of instruments make you a better player because the guitar demands more skill to bring out the tonal range. I have little experience with torrified tops so cannot comment on what that may contribute but I have played a number of Bourgeois guitars and I think this is a great example of Dana's work.

Thanks for posting.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion