The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Default '08 614ce or NEW 414ce-R?

I know these are 2 different animals altogether, but I currently have a 2008 Taylor 614ce with the ES1.2 and have been debating on whether to keep it or not. I am a worship leader and play in church 3 times a week plus some events occasionally outside of church. My 614ce is my main "stage" guitar as of now, but I've been disappointed in the fact that the ES1.2 doesn't pick up percussive taps hardly at all. I am told the ES2 does this much better, but have not played one plugged in. Brightness of the 614ce sometimes bothers me too, but mainly the ES1.2. So....I'm curious for your feedback, which one would you choose? I LOVE the new 814ce, but don't know if that's in the budget, I have kind of played the 414ce-R (Have played the 414ce Limited Edition w/ Rosewood), and really liked it too, but it's been a couple of months ago and the store is an hour and a half away, so it's not an easy trip for me right now. With the holidays here, I can get an excellent deal on a new 414ce-R. So....2008 614ce (I purchased new) or New 414ce-R V-Class?
Fender MIM Tele
Old 11-19-2018, 05:10 PM

You actually have more options. Taylor will install an ES2 system in your 614ce. If you contact AGF sponsors you can get really good pricing on a new 814ce or 414ce-R. I purchased an 814ce six months ago at well below advertised pricing. I replaced a 414ce (Sapele/Ovankol) with the 814ce and highly recommend it. [emoji16]
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 PM

Yeah, I thought about the upgrade to the ES2, but I think for $400 (incl. shipping), I would rather get a new guitar. I have checked on the discounted pricing and that is definitely the way I will go, if I make a change. Definitely between keeping my 614ce as is or selling it and buying a new 414ce-R or 814ce, but the 414ce-R would be more budget friendly for sure. I'm not sure the 814ce is worth the extra money as most of the differences seem cosmetic.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 11-19-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
.....I'm not sure the 814ce is worth the extra money as most of the differences seem cosmetic.
Value is a personal judgment, but with the 814 you will get a better grade of top and body woods than in a 414-R. It is more than just cosmetic touches. Build quality will be equally excellent for both, of course, but the better woods will be reserved for the higher series. It is so easy to spend someone else's money........
Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 PM

Seriously I do not like any of the ES systems. For tapping a UST works great. Save your money and buy one of the many Martin X Series that have a nice UST for your stage guitar.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:36 AM

Default '08 614ce or NEW 414ce-R?

Hi. Keep the 614ce. It’s been with you for 10 years. And get the 414ce that you are eyeing. After that, if you still find the 614 too bright and losing favor with you, then bid it farewell.

Btw, do you use your GS Mini Koa (plucked in) for worship leading too? Is 2014 the year the first batch of Gs mini Koa’s were introduced?
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:23 AM

Once you plug in it becomes all about the pickup. Personally I would keep your current guitar and get another guitar with the pickup of your choice. You wouldn’t need to spend much on the guitar if it’s just being used for live plugged in work.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-20-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Hi. Keep the 614ce. It’s been with you for 10 years. And get the 414ce that you are eyeing. After that, if you still find the 614 too bright and losing favor with you, then bid it farewell.

Btw, do you use your GS Mini Koa (plucked in) for worship leading too? Is 2014 the year the first batch of Gs mini Koa’s were introduced?
I think I'll keep it...I played it and my Yairi last night just comparing the two and they both sound great, just different voices. It is a bright guitar, but it's also very clean...I may consider adding an Anthem SL or Pure Mini as I happen to have an extra end jack for the guitar that I could utilize for that and make it easily interchangeable and leave the ES in place.

I do lead occasionally with my Koa Mini and it sounds great. I actually had it and my 614ce at church one day and plugged them in one behind another and didn't feel that I lost any quality with the mini when plugged in. I do have it going through a 7 band eq, ART Tube MP preamp, and Boss AD-1 also. It is the 2014 LTD model. I bought it used in 2016, I believe in Mint condition with a bone saddle and Koa truss rod cover already on it. I love that little guitar, such a big sound for a small body guitar. When I first used it, I had major feedback issues, but I added a feedback buster and it solved that. I later learned about the Phase switch on the internal preamp and have since switched that, but haven't tried it plugged in yet without the feedback buster to see if it improved feedback.

I noticed you have a Faith Blood Moon...what do you think about it? I have considered saving up and making either the Blood Moon or a Mars Sunburst my next axe.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 11-20-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I noticed you have a Faith Blood Moon...what do you think about it? I have considered saving up and making either the Blood Moon or a Mars Sunburst my next axe.

I sent you a PM.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:27 PM

If you can get a good deal on a used Taylor, you'll come out better if you decide to sell than a new Taylor. If resale matters to you.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I know these are 2 different animals altogether, but I currently have a 2008 Taylor 614ce with the ES1.2 and have been debating on whether to keep it or not. I am a worship leader and play in church 3 times a week plus some events occasionally outside of church. My 614ce is my main "stage" guitar as of now, but I've been disappointed in the fact that the ES1.2 doesn't pick up percussive taps hardly at all. I am told the ES2 does this much better, but have not played one plugged in. Brightness of the 614ce sometimes bothers me too, but mainly the ES1.2. So....I'm curious for your feedback, which one would you choose? I LOVE the new 814ce, but don't know if that's in the budget, I have kind of played the 414ce-R (Have played the 414ce Limited Edition w/ Rosewood), and really liked it too, but it's been a couple of months ago and the store is an hour and a half away, so it's not an easy trip for me right now. With the holidays here, I can get an excellent deal on a new 414ce-R. So....2008 614ce (I purchased new) or New 414ce-R V-Class?
I happen to know both models quite well. My buddy has an '08 614. I have a 2011 614. And I've recently played the 414ceR both in X and V models.

Acoustically... while a bit different I'd say they are equals. I think you'd be surprised how similar they sound. Is your 614 a 3-piece back? As a worship leader plugged in, the ES 1.2 is actually a pretty good system, although could use some help with EQ depending on what it's plugged into. While some tout the ES2 system as being an improvement I see it as just trading issues to make manufacture and installation easier and cheaper for Taylor. I find that the ES2 amplifies my finger squeak far beyond any other pickup system I've ever tried. Sound into the systems I plug into just meh. I wouldn't trade guitars just to go from ES1 to ES2. ES2 doesn't have body sensors either. With both systems I always plug into an external pre-amp as I find the onboard Taylor preamps just rudimentary. Both onboard systems work, but to a very limited extent.

Now the difference in acoustic sounds between the 614 and 414-R... I could be totally whacked, but the best 414 I played was last week, a 414ce-R-se-V. That burst is gorgeous and it played like a dream... but now that I've got my 614ce dialed in perfectly I honestly don't think it would be an improvement or even much difference from what I have. And I think I like my buddy's 2008 614 even better.

Bottom line... Keep your 614. Taylor doesn't make guitars like the 2008 614 any more. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-20-2018, 08:51 PM

Mine is a 2 piece back and it does sound very clean, I think I’ll hold on to it...it really is a great guitar. I do run it through a 7 band eq, Art Tube MP and Boss AD-1, and it does sound really good, I just wish it would pick up taps to the soundboard, but I have other guitars that do, so it’s good. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll just wait a while and add to the lineup
Fender MIM Tele
Old 11-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Mine is a 2 piece back and it does sound very clean, I think I’ll hold on to it...it really is a great guitar. I do run it through a 7 band eq, Art Tube MP and Boss AD-1, and it does sound really good, I just wish it would pick up taps to the soundboard, but I have other guitars that do, so it’s good. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll just wait a while and add to the lineup
I didn't realize that Taylor built 2 and 3 piece backs alternatively in 08. I just assumed that all were 3-piece. Is the headstock attached via finger joint or scarf joint?

There are two things that absolutely transformed my 614 (2011) from a really good guitar to an outstanding guitar.... 200 hours of Tonerite. Then a bone saddle replacing the original TUSQ. Most folks only notice modest improvements with the Tonerite as I did on my 814. But it took the 614 to another level. You can find them on Ebay for around $100. However I have to say in full disclosure that my buddy's '80 3-piece is perfect as is and wouldn't change a thing on his 614. The big leaf maple on his guitar is a work of art and is what attracted me to the 614 in the first place.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion