The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 04:07 PM

Default Metronome: anyone aware of a dial-type unit WITH tap function?

I'm looking for a metronome that is not an app (for some reason, I don't like them. Can't say why). I've used a Korg tuner/metronome for a while, but I find the volume to be too low. I flatpick a dreadnaught, and when I'm ripping a fiddle tune, the metronome's ticks are gone... at least when I happen to be in time...

I'd like one of those dial-type metronomes, like the Matrix MR600. But I'm not aware that these come with a "Tap" function, which is a feature I use and need all the time.

Any suggestions?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-19-2018, 04:48 PM

I just bought a Boss DB 90. It is more of a rhythm coach and maybe way more than you need but it has dial cadence and tap as well as a billion other functions.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:50 AM

Thank you, Joel! That Boss device is indeed more than I'm looking for, but I appreciate learning about it (had never heard of it before).

I just ordered an old-school mechanical Wittner metronome. No need to continue this thread.

Thanks!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I'm looking for a metronome that is not an app (for some reason, I don't like them. Can't say why). I've used a Korg tuner/metronome for a while, but I find the volume to be too low. I flatpick a dreadnaught, and when I'm ripping a fiddle tune, the metronome's ticks are gone... at least when I happen to be in time...

I'd like one of those dial-type metronomes, like the Matrix MR600. But I'm not aware that these come with a "Tap" function, which is a feature I use and need all the time.

Any suggestions?
I use the Pro Metronome app on my iPhone. You might check it out
Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Not sure which Korg you tried but the KDM2 is one of the louder self contained units. And it has tap tempo. The flashing light has proven useful during band rehearsal when checking time and tempo.

hunter
Old 11-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhunn View Post
I just bought a Boss DB 90. It is more of a rhythm coach and maybe way more than you need but it has dial cadence and tap as well as a billion other functions.
Me too. Boss DB90. Pricey and worth every penny. Too bad Boss didn't think to jam a tuner in there too... but it does have a tone generator.

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion