The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 04:28 PM

Default How to avoid losing picks? Ideas requested pls?

Mainly due to imminent arrival of some blue chip picks! Any suggestions on keeping tabs on them? I hopeless at keeping picks and don't want to lose these given the price!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Guest 728

Buy some Altoids and keep your picks in the tin when it's empty.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

A reverse time machine, where we get younger every day.

sm
Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 PM

I keep them on my music stands. If I travel, they go in a John Pearse pouch.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:00 PM

I, too keep my picks in an Altoids tin.
The thing you have to do is get yourself in the habit of ALWAYS putting your picks in the same place when your are done using them.

I lose picks too, if I don't do that. I really wish all picks came in blaze orange color, lol.
I sometimes use Ultex or Clayton Ultem picks. They blend in to everything, disappear!
If memory serves, the picks you ordered are dark brown. Not very visable in many situations.

Develop a go to routine as to where you will keep your picks. Then ALWAYS follow the routine.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:01 PM

I have a plastic box that has compartments in it for each kind, type or thickness of pick. When I am done playing I mostly throw my pick back in that box, or the hard shell case of the guitar I played. Otherwise if I put them anywhere else I’ll find them later on such as in the washing machine, the car, on tables etc.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
Mainly due to imminent arrival of some blue chip picks! Any suggestions on keeping tabs on them? I hopeless at keeping picks and don't want to lose these given the price!
Well, I was going to say, buy some Blue Chip picks because you won't want to lose them!

Seriously, your value perception will change significantly.

My methodology was to buy some fairly expensive boxes (I use ww1 Princess Mary boxes) in which I keep my picks capo and digital tuner, It lives in the accessory box of the case and always comes out and goes back with the guitar.

The only place that I temporarily lose my BC picks is at home if the phone rings or I need a sudden cup of tea!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:05 PM

I am also fearful of losing a favorite pick. Best option for me so far is keyring pick holder that I clip into my 3 ring binder of music.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I, too keep my picks in an Altoids tin.
The thing you have to do is get yourself in the habit of ALWAYS putting your picks in the same place when your are done using them.

I lose picks too, if I don't do that. I really wish all picks came in blaze orange color, lol.
I sometimes use Ultex or Clayton Ultem picks. They blend in to everything, disappear!
If memory serves, the picks you ordered are dark brown. Not very visable in many situations.

Develop a go to routine as to where you will keep your picks. Then ALWAYS follow the routine.
Agree on those ultem picks. drop them on a hardwood floor
and they disappear
I agree in forming a good habit of returning them
to the same place every time . I use the fender
extra heavy picks i bevel them . they are white.
most stages are flat black so They're easy to spot.
My blue chips don't get much use and they
are kept at home. i just like the fenders better.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:36 PM

My solution it to have lots of them. Admittedly, they aren't expensive ones - but I have literally dozens. In my wallet, in my phone case, next to the bed, in my pockets - if I don't have one handy I can usually find one behind the cushions or in the washing machine.

This technique doesn't work so well with my thumbpicks....
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 PM

I use one of these very nice leather pick pouches.

https://www.larrivee.com/shop/jcl-pick-pouch
Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 PM

The secret to not losing picks is to only use ONE.

You can (and should) have multiples, backups, and spares, but just rely on a single pick and keep it with your guitar. If you change strings as often as you should it's particularly effective just to weave your pick into the first three strings when you are done playing, or even taking a short break. Get in the habit and I'll guarantee it will always be there. That's how habits work, and you can use that to your advantage.

If you DO lose a pick you can have a backup available, but make it a practice not to use it.

The exact same advice goes for capo, tuner, and your reading glasses. I tried keeping multiple pairs of reading glasses around and half the time I couldn't find any of them. When I switched to only using ONE pair (on the advice of a friend...) miraculously they were always around.

Whatever makes this work also works for guitar accessories.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:25 PM

After Prizen asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
Mark replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
I use one of these very nice leather pick pouches.

https://www.larrivee.com/shop/jcl-pick-pouch
I use a similar approach; I have a few of these BlueChip pick boxes:

˙˙˙

I'm not someone who can have one pick, one capo, one tuner - for me it simply works better to have multiples. I've got a capo, a tuner, a strap and some picks in the case pocket of every instrument I ever take out of the house.

I prefer my BlueChip TD-35 picks on my mandolin, and usually use them on my baritone guitar, as well. With my regular six string guitars sometimes I use a BlueChip, sometimes I want a celluloid pick - it depends on what sort of part I'm going to be playing.

Anyway, I've got those BlueChip pick boxes in the instrument case pockets of my mandolin and my baritone guitar, and have another that floats depending on which regular guitar I'm using the most at the moment. I only have one to two BlueChip picks in each box, the rest being D'Andrea celluloid medium-heavies.

This way I can use a BlueChip when I need one, but have the celluloid picks that I like better for rhythm parts right at hand, as well.

Anyway, the only way to hang onto your high dollar BlueChip picks is to put them away in their little wooden box or leather pouch or Altoid tin whenever you're done using them.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 PM

Are you familiar with Super Glue?
Even if you are, it might still be easier to just get a little collection of your favorites so that there are always a few available.
I use Fender mediums which are available by the gross, just as an example.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, I was going to say, buy some Blue Chip picks because you won't want to lose them!
+1 on this. I (thankfully) haven’t lost a Bluechip yet. Did I just jinx myself?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion