The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Strings For Washburn Parlor Guitar

I came home with a Washburn 125th anniversary parlor guitar yesterday. Very cool instrument. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on the best strings to use on one of these?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Which model is it?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
I came home with a Washburn 125th anniversary parlor guitar yesterday. Very cool instrument. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on the best strings to use on one of these?
yes i got a parlor and it was thumpy, put new 12's on it still tumpy, put 11's on it and it was fine. If you want it to give you high trebles four strings up from the bottom put exlior nanawebs. if you want high trebles 3 strings up from the bottom and give you bass put curt mangans on it. thanks dale look beyond the trees
Old 11-16-2018, 10:13 PM

I have an 1889 Washburn with no truss rod so I have to use .010" Silk And Steels on it. Works very well. I bought a set of Martin Low Tension strings and a set of Silk and Bronze to try, haven't tried them yet. You don't need to use 10's on yours because you have a truss rod, but try the silk and steels. It's a nice mellow old timey sound.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Which model is it?
R318SKK. 2008 125th anniversary
Old 11-16-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I have an 1889 Washburn with no truss rod so I have to use .010" Silk And Steels on it. Works very well. I bought a set of Martin Low Tension strings and a set of Silk and Bronze to try, haven't tried them yet. You don't need to use 10's on yours because you have a truss rod, but try the silk and steels. It's a nice mellow old timey sound.

Thank you, mellow old time is exactly what I am looking for.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO View Post
yes i got a parlor and it was thumpy, put new 12's on it still tumpy, put 11's on it and it was fine. If you want it to give you high trebles four strings up from the bottom put exlior nanawebs. if you want high trebles 3 strings up from the bottom and give you bass put curt mangans on it. thanks dale look beyond the trees

Thanks, Exlior is what I use on my 414 Taylor
Old 11-17-2018, 12:40 PM

I'll second yamiyaris suggestion of Martins silk and bronze. Put them on a smaller bodied Daisy Rock for my granddaughter. Not only do they sound good and feel good to me, (I'm used to medium PB's) they are easy on her 10 years old fingers.

I also put a set on a sweet, older Seagull cedar topped folk model. I loved the guitar, but could never find a set of strings I was happy with. A set of Martin bronze and steel brought that guitar to life.

Those would be my first choice for parlor or smaller bodied guitar.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:38 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I ordered a set of the Silk and Steel. Will update after I have played them a week or two
Old 11-18-2018, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
R318SKK. 2008 125th anniversary
i had one and foolishly sold it to our bass player. still a nice piece - made to look old but has modern neck structure. Just put EJ16s 12-53 on it - it'll be fine.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:19 AM

Try some Newtone Heritage strings. They have a mellow sound and are balanced across the strings for tension. The over-all tension weight on these strings are on par, or even under (10s) the weight of silk and steel type stings.

give them a try.

https://www.guitargal.com/collection...guitar-strings

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Try some Newtone Heritage strings. They have a mellow sound and are balanced across the strings for tension. The over-all tension weight on these strings are on par, or even under (10s) the weight of silk and steel type stings.

give them a try.

https://www.guitargal.com/collection...guitar-strings
Thank you, I have not heard of these strings before. I will ck them out
Old 11-18-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
i had one and foolishly sold it to our bass player. still a nice piece - made to look old but has modern neck structure. Just put EJ16s 12-53 on it - it'll be fine.
I thought my guitar buying days were behind me, but this instrument was so different to what I am used to I had to take it home. I love the sound, especially for fingerpicking
Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 PM

I put a set of Martin Silk and Steel lights on the guitar today. Will see how they do after they breaking but so far I like the sound and feel of these strings.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion