The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 PM

I have the Martin HD 28 VTS (torrefied top), you might consider that, to me it was the best one between the HD 28 V, HD 28, and D28
Old 11-20-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
I have the Martin HD 28 VTS (torrefied top), you might consider that, to me it was the best one between the HD 28 V, HD 28, and D28
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out... Does the S stand for Slope shoulder or Sitka?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out... Does the S stand for Slope shoulder or Sitka?
VTS is vintage tone system... Martin's word for torrefication ie. Cooking the wood to simulate aging. Basically it seasons the wood hy cooking out all the softer plant resins and gets the tone closer to an aged vintage guitar. Very popular among different brands and they all have a different name for it.
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
VTS is vintage tone system... Martin's word for torrefication ie. Cooking the wood to simulate aging. Basically it seasons the wood hy cooking out all the softer plant resins and gets the tone closer to an aged vintage guitar. Very popular among different brands and they all have a different name for it.
Ah cool... I used to be right up on the Martin nomenclature but I've been out of the acoustic game for a while now and am just venturing back in - have some catching up to do ; )
Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Ah cool... I used to be right up on the Martin nomenclature but I've been out of the acoustic game for a while now and am just venturing back in - have some catching up to do ; )
Hey totally... no worries I am anxious to get out there and play some more Martins.. I get ahold of a couple really basic ones here and there at like guitar center... but I havent played any of Martin's real nice guitars. Including anything* with VTS. anyways .. theres time for everything I suppose. Right now I'm stoked about another Gibson on it's way here to my house. Cheers and enjoy getting back into it!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 PM

Seems that the Marquis might be out of my price range... would like to keep it around $4500AUD... do they often show up around that price point?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems that the Marquis might be out of my price range... would like to keep it around $4500AUD... do they often show up around that price point?
Marquis both new and used are very difficult to locate in Australia. Marquis Dreadnoughts even more rare.

In Australia, your best bet is a new HD28V which is still above your budget. You might have better luck waiting for a used HD28V to pop up than a used D28 Marquis.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 11-21-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Marquis both new and used are very difficult to locate in Australia. Marquis Dreadnoughts even more rare.

In Australia, your best bet is a new HD28V which is still above your budget. You might have better luck waiting for a used HD28V to pop up than a used D28 Marquis.
I may have too...I still haven't discredited your collings yet either
Old 11-21-2018, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I may have too...I still haven't discredited your collings yet either
Actually the new redesigned 2018 reimagined HD28 is cheaper than the HD28V, it is essentially the same guitar without the V neck

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 11-21-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Actually the new redesigned 2018 reimagined HD28 is cheaper than the HD28V, it is essentially the same guitar without the V neck
true but I do love that Mod V neck...
Old 11-21-2018, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

I notice the OP mentions the Collings D2H as a possible alternative to the HD-28V. Although they are visually similar, these are two very different sounding guitars - I'd regard them as being complementary instruments, not alternatives. The deep, throaty growl of the HD v. the clearer, brighter D2H.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Bourgeois Vintage D... how similar to the Martin D-28 Marquis?
A quick look at the reverb sold list reveals that the Vintage D could be had at a reasonable price..?

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide...d-2008-natural
Old 11-22-2018, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bourgeois Vintage D... how similar to the Martin D-28 Marquis?
A quick look at the reverb sold list reveals that the Vintage D could be had at a reasonable price..?

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide...d-2008-natural
I have played a Vintage D before just recently. It has a pretty comfortable neck but still significantly different from the Martin Mod V neck you are chasing. I haven't played a Martin D28 Marquis but I have played OM28 Marquis as both have same neck profile.

As for price, just beware that when you buy overseas, you cop an extra 15% in import and duties and add shipping on top which is in the vicinity of $350-$400 delivered to Australia.

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 11-22-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I have played a Vintage D before just recently. It has a pretty comfortable neck but still significantly different from the Martin Mod V neck you are chasing. I haven't played a Martin D28 Marquis but I have played OM28 Marquis as both have same neck profile.

As for price, just beware that when you buy overseas, you cop an extra 15% in import and duties and add shipping on top which is in the vicinity of $350-$400 delivered to Australia.
True... I'd much prefer to buy in Australia if possible... just saves so much hassle and worry... but so far I've not found one 2nd hand HD-28V or Marquis for sale, happy to be patient, and not quite ready to jump just yet but just something I've noticed...
Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM

Trust your instincts. Get the HD-28V. These forums are dangerous in that everyone will chime in with their opinions without even listening to the OP - especially when one of the responses is SPAM.

PS: the V necks are 1.75”/44mm at the nut. I also feel that VTS is hype. Part of the joy of getting a lifelong guitar is hearing it’s voice blossom with age.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion