The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Gloss finish messing up my fingerstyle playing

I just received the Collings Baby I purchased through the forums. It is a beautiful instrument, no doubt a step above my GS Mini.

Here's the deal though: this gloss finish is seriously messing up my fingerstyle playing. This is the first gloss guitar I've owned. I guess I never noticed or thought about how much I change slight positions depending on what or how I'm playing, but I move my forearm quite a bit to change the angle and attack of my picking hand. With the gloss finish on this Collings, my forearm just sticks to the guitar and is anchored in place, preventing me from naturally moving. I literally have to lift my forearm to move it, which is very very unnatural.

I never thought about this aspect of my playing, but this might not work. I see Collings doesn't even offer satin/matte finishes.

I could just wear long sleeves when I play that guitar, but that seems ridiculous to me. Thoughts? Anyone else find themselves in this predicament before?
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 11-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Guest 728

Armrest.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 PM

I'm wondering whether there's a technique problem to blame. I ask this because it's not a problem most other guitarists have with gloss finishes. Are you using the arm to brace the guitar? If this is the case, you can either try other methods of supporting the guitar, such as a classical guitarists use, or try playing with a strap, even when seated.

I go back and forth between matte and gloss finishes without noticing any hindrance, whether strumming or playing fingerstyle. This is why I doubt that the finish itself is the problem.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I'm wondering whether there's a technique problem to blame. I ask this because it's not a problem most other guitarists have with gloss finishes. Are you using the arm to brace the guitar? If this is the case, you can either try other methods of supporting the guitar, such as a classical guitarists use, or try playing with a strap, even when seated.

I go back and forth between matte and gloss finishes without noticing any hindrance, whether strumming or playing fingerstyle. This is why I doubt that the finish itself is the problem.
Possibly, yes. But how I sit is a little differently compared to others. I'm in a wheelchair, which sits me at an acute angle, and I'm guessing my arm comes over the top of the guitar and to the outside a little more than the average person.

Dreadnought or other large-bodied guitars are so big for me now based on how I sit, the top of the body almost literally reaches my chin, forcing my arm and shoulder to a really high angle. The GS Mini and Collings Baby allow a more natural arm position, but I bet I make more forearm contact.

I'm not sure how much I can change at this point, regarding my playing. I'll give it some time with the Baby, I guess.

I'd love to know what brands make satin/matte finished guitars with a slightly larger scale length then the GS Mini. I know the Taylor Grand Concert is 24.75" I believe, but I'm curious about others.
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Hey man, good evening..

I cant say that I 100% relate, but I do think I know where you're coming from. For years I never gave a 2nd thought to guitar finishes. I played whatever I happened to have; whatever was around; etc.

My first nitrocellulose lacquer guitar was a Gibson J45.. which was fantastic, but at first I didnt jive with the lacquer. It was sticky and seemed cumbersome. I didnt like the feel OR the way it "hazed" up and became stiff after playing it. I polished it after every use.

Anyways.. I wish i had better advice.. but i can tell you that i *did* get used to it... i would only notice it sometimes after a while, then rarely and finally never. Idk if it was just that J45s nitro, but I've since owned a couple different instruments with nitro lacquer and never noticed it.

I would give it a while to adjust. I agree an armrest might be worth looking into, also they have those "sleeves" like basketball players wear . (Google forearm shooters sleeve or some such).

I'm pretty sure that you'll adjust after a short time. Try to play as much as you can and I'd be willing to bet it resolves itself. Meanwhile you can order an ebony armrest just in case.

Cheers
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Install a John Pearse armrest - you will be glad you did. It eliminates that problem, reduces sharp edge discomfort and, most importantly, frees the top from being muffled by your arm.

I find this especially impactful when playing fingerstyle.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
Thoughts? Anyone else find themselves in this predicament before?
I have not, to be honest. But then, I also don't play fingerstyle. I admit I have a very hard time picturing your predicament. I flatpick and need to move my picking hand around since I consider planting the picking hand on the top a bad habit. (If that sounds arrogant, let me add that I'm just following the advice of Bryan Sutton, one of the most accomplished flatpickers on the current scene.)

But I have yet to experience a situation where the gloss top finish would prevent my arm from moving around on the top, and with proper flatpicking technique (which I'm still struggling to learn), the forearm has to move freely, like a pendulum. If tons of bluegrass players play without issues on gloss tops, I'm not sure why it would be such a different situation with fingerstyle?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Why not either wear long sleeves or (what I do) cut the toe off an old sock and put it over your elbow. Problem solved, though the reason I do it is so I don't wear off the gloss.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I have not, to be honest. But then, I also don't play fingerstyle. I admit I have a very hard time picturing your predicament. I flatpick and need to move my picking hand around since I consider planting the picking hand on the top a bad habit. (If that sounds arrogant, let me add that I'm just following the advice of Bryan Sutton, one of the most accomplished flatpickers on the current scene.)

But I have yet to experience a situation where the gloss top finish would prevent my arm from moving around on the top, and with proper flatpicking technique (which I'm still struggling to learn), the forearm has to move freely, like a pendulum. If tons of bluegrass players play without issues on gloss tops, I'm not sure why it would be such a different situation with fingerstyle?
Here's a picture to more clearly illustrate the arm contact. Depending how I pick the strings, the sound I want, etc, I'll move my arm. I don't always pick each string the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Why not either wear long sleeves or (what I do) cut the toe off an old sock and put it over your elbow. Problem solved, though the reason I do it is so I don't wear off the gloss.
Maybe that's what I have to do. It just seems weird to me, I shouldn't have to wear certain clothing to play my guitar
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 11-20-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I just received the Collings Baby I purchased through the forums. It is a beautiful instrument, no doubt a step above my GS Mini.

Here's the deal though: this gloss finish is seriously messing up my fingerstyle playing. This is the first gloss guitar I've owned. I guess I never noticed or thought about how much I change slight positions depending on what or how I'm playing, but I move my forearm quite a bit to change the angle and attack of my picking hand. With the gloss finish on this Collings, my forearm just sticks to the guitar and is anchored in place, preventing me from naturally moving. I literally have to lift my forearm to move it, which is very very unnatural.

I never thought about this aspect of my playing, but this might not work. I see Collings doesn't even offer satin/matte finishes.

I could just wear long sleeves when I play that guitar, but that seems ridiculous to me. Thoughts? Anyone else find themselves in this predicament before?
I can relate. To me it is a very valid concern because:

1) like what nole said, varying the angle of attack etc gives different nuances and tone colors.
2) likewise, the picking position along the string, too (a fretted string is getting progressively shorter the higher the note goes, and the "optimal" picking position for the desired tone varies). Even for open strings, obviously, varying the picking position gives different tonal characters.
3) The right elbow stifles the top and muffle the tone.

Therefore there is a genuine need to free the picking arm (and the top).

I try to achieve such freedom by resting the right arm very lightly on the guitar, and if possible, lift it away entirely. But to do that you have to secure the instrument with good, balanced sitting position and possibly with supports like the A-frame or NeckUp. And it is not always possible with more demanding music (and probably not very healthy for the shoulder ).

I prefer not to use add-on arm rests / bevels for the fear of messing up the finish and aesthetics reasons.

Pp
Old 11-20-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Here's a picture to more clearly illustrate the arm contact.
Yeah. There's two much pressure on the lower bout from your forearm. It may help to elevate the headstock a few inches, if you can manage that in a wheelchair. That way you won't have to cover up the tattoos with a sock. Experiment with a strap, if one is available. If that doesn't work, you may have to resort to an armrest.

Either that or stick to matte guitars?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 PM

Looking at the photo you posted, your hand seems very forward, meaning over the sound hole, right there at where the fretboard is - have your tried altering where you place your picking hand, moving it back some? I tend to pick/strum right below or at the bottom of the sound hole - this would result in less of your arm being in contact with the guitar.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah. There's two much pressure on the lower bout from your forearm. It may help to elevate the headstock a few inches, if you can manage that in a wheelchair. That way you won't have to cover up the tattoos with a sock. Experiment with a strap, if one is available. If that doesn't work, you may have to resort to an armrest.

Either that or stick to matte guitars?
So I'm also missing my legs. I have no leg at all on the left (amputated all the way to the hip), and a little stump on the right. The guitar rests on my stump. That's about all I have for support, I can't lift the headstock up at all. The guitar is also slightly twisted, but that's the only stable position I can play in.

Sticking to matte guitars might be my only option. I'm trying to find out what manufacturers offer matte finishes in smaller bodied short-scale guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post
Looking at the photo you posted, your hand seems very forward, meaning over the sound hole, right there at where the fretboard is - have your tried altering where you place your picking hand, moving it back some? I tend to pick/strum right below or at the bottom of the sound hole - this would result in less of your arm being in contact with the guitar.
That's just the angle. I pick at the soundhole or back a little bit like you suggest.
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 11-20-2018, 11:48 PM

Default Arm Sticking to guitar

The Oasis company that sells guitar humidifiers also sells am arm sleeve for this very problem. Check out their website.
[url]https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/product/oasis-padded-guitar-sleeve/
Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 AM

I've seen a number of classical guitarists use "guitar sleeves" like the Oasis sleeves... Classical guitarists routinely move their right hand to closer/farther from the bridge to achieve different tones. I'll use a sleeve, especially if it's hot and humid.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion