The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 09:21 AM

Default Taylor 12 strings: 562ce vs 362ce

Hello everyone!

My first post and.. long and boring! Sorry!!!
I am from Italy but living in Germany and left-handed guitar player since some year (but far from being a pro..).
(maybe later I will post a NGD of my guitars, even if I purchased them in the last year.. a OGD maybe.. if you are interested)

I used to have a 12 strings (a Martin D12X1AE, if I remember right), but I sold it. Main reasons: used few times, long time lost with strings changing or tuning.. and the small .008 string drove me crazy every time.
Anyhow, I miss a 12-strings sound
My understanding is that Taylor 12 strings have a good reputation. I saw the following:
- Taylor 562ce (great reviews, but it is a bit too much expensive for my goals..)
- Taylor 362ce (I found not too much, a part from some advertising reviews..)
Does anyone actually have the 362ce? How would you compare the two?

Moreover, is there any Sponsor in Europe for a tempting offer? I see online a different range of prices .. mainly between 2000€ and 2400€.

Cheers!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Is there a reason you are looking at 2 small body Grand Concert guitars with a cutaway?

I think the real gem in the current Taylor 12-string line up is the 458e-R.
- Grand Orchestra with rosewood back and sides... and priced exactly in between the 562ce and 362ce.

Great looking guitar too ... and welcome to the forum!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-20-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added welcome to new member
Old 11-20-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Is there a reason you are looking at 2 small body Grand Concert guitars with a cutaway?

- Grand Orchestra with rosewood back and sides... and priced exactly in between the 562ce and 362ce.

Hi!

Well, at the moment I have a Martin Dr-Centennial (that I love) and a couch mini-Taka.
75% of times I get the Taka, because it just fits good and small for a couch play. The dreadnought is almost too big.. But sounds amazing!
For this reason I thought that a grand concert would be a good idea, I actually don't need the extra volume of the jumbo.
Moreover, I am hoping to get a kind of sunburst (not Easy to find in a left handed guitar)!

I hope this clarifies... Any tipp on actual pricing? I read in some post that Taylor lists MAP and it could be possible a discount, but maybe it is only a US thing...
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Have a 562ce and love it. Would look around for a used one.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Hey Bruce!

Couldn't agree more. Huge +1 for a huge guitar, the Taylor 458e-R (the 'R' denotes a Rosewood version). Instant wall of sound. And it's a real smooth ride to play.

Sorry tankovic, but I played both the Grand Concerts (great guitars . . .), but the Grand Orchestra just rolls me away. I also own the six string version.

Don

06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 11-20-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Hey Bruce!

Couldn't agree more. Huge +1 for a huge guitar, the Taylor 458e-R (the 'R' denotes a Rosewood version). Instant wall of sound. And it's a real smooth ride to play.

Sorry tankovic, but I played both the Grand Concerts (great guitars . . .), but the Grand Orchestra just rolls me away. I also own the six string version.

Don

Nothing to be sorry about, everyone has its own tastes
What about the two GC? Does the blackwood have a big impact on the 362ce, or they are comparable?
I mean, the 562ce is also gloss and not satin, that could also give the extra price!

Thanks for your message!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranged View Post
Have a 562ce and love it. Would look around for a used one.
Thanks!
Actually, not easy to find in Europe a used left handed - but I got your point!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

I own the 2017 Taylor 752ce Ltd. Although it’s Spruce and rosewood, it shares the same body size, 12 fret design and short scale of the two you’re looking at. At the time I was not even looking for a 12 string but was immediately sold on the smaller body, 12 fret and short scale design. I even said out loud, “ Wow this a 12 string I can/will actually play”. I played several 362s, 552s and 562s. So I can comment . The 362 was a fine instrument but I felt the 552/562 clearly had better, fuller tone, and the ivoroid appointments are really nice too. I would stretch the budget if possible. BTW, even Taylor can only do so much with tone. These will not blow you away with the 12 string sound of a top notch full sized body, but it’s a very satisfying sound, and the design is much easier and enjoyable to play. I haven’t played the 458 but imagine the O size will give u that bigger sound as others have noted.

The mahog top on the 562 is VERY pretty with the edge burst and ivoroid, and I know it sells more than the 552. I’ve got to say though I thought the 552 with spruce top sounded a bit fuller. I think it’s because the mahog top on the 562 compresses the tone somewhat. It’s a matter of personal choice but I think a 12 string should sound “lush”, piano like and I think the 552 delivered more of that, but the 562 is gorgeous no doubt and it does sound quite good. Good luck!

Last edited by gmel555; 11-20-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I own the 2017 Taylor 752ce Ltd. Although it’s Spruce and rosewood, it shares the same body size, 12 fret design and short scale of the two you’re looking at. At the time I was not even looking for a 12 string but was immediately sold on the smaller body, 12 fret and short scale design. I even said out loud, “ Wow this a 12 string I can/will actually play”. I played several 362s, 552s and 562s. So I can comment . The 362 was a fine instrument but I felt the 552/562 clearly had better, fuller tone, and the ivoroid appointments are really nice too. I would stretch the budget if possible. BTW, even Taylor can only do so much with tone. These will not blow you away with the 12 string sound of a top notch full sized body, but it’s a very satisfying sound, and the design is much easier and enjoyable to play. I haven’t played the 458 but imagine the O size will give u that bigger sound as others have noted.

The mahog top on the 562 is VERY pretty with the edge burst and ivoroid, and I know it sells more than the 552. I’ve got to say though I thought the 552 with spruce top sounded a bit fuller. I think it’s because the mahog top on the 562 compresses the tone somewhat. It’s a matter of personal choice but I think a 12 string should sound “lush”, piano like and I think the 552 delivered more of that, but the 562 is gorgeous no doubt and it does sound quite good. Good luck!
Hey! Thanks for your experience with the "small body 12-fret", that is what I was talking about!
Question: is changing the strings still a pain? that is what I mainly hated in my previous 12-string guitar!

What I like from the 362 is also the satin finish, but I don't like the lack of the sunburst in the back and sides..
About the 562: I am a bit worried of it being scratched - would it be ugly to insert a transparent pickguard? (maybe could be done also on the 362ce, actually...)

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-22-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-21-2018, 06:18 AM

I have the 562ce. I really believe any of these GC 12-fret 12-strings would be a great choice. Their voices are bigger than what you'd suspect, they are so comfortable to play, and they are well balanced and articulate. I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the series.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankovic View Post
Hey! Thanks for your experience with the "small body 12-fret", that is what I was talking about!
Question: is changing the strings still a pain? that is what I mainly hated in my previous 12-string guitar!

What I like from the 362 is also the satin finish, but I don't like the lack of the sunburst in the back and sides..
About the 562: I am a bit worried of it being scratched - would it be ugly to insert a transparent pickguard? (maybe could be done also on the 362ce, actually...)
Wth all the great long-life string options avail, I wouldn't worry about string changes, it's part of playing. Just get a pegwinder and clip-on e-tuner if u don't have already. Regarding pickguard that's your call. Guitars that are played get scratched, it's part of the mojo. (I have black and also tobacco sunburst guitars.)

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-22-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:21 AM

Default thanks for the messages

Hi, unfortunately bad news.
I have been asking to some dealer here in Europe, but it looks almost impossible to have any discount (on listed MAP?) on a left handed Taylor.
It is understandable, mainly they have to order and build it for me (more or less like a BTO.. I think).
Since I received no info on this matter, I believe that no sponsor is available in Europe.. it will take me some time before pulling the trigger.

If I pull it, it may be a 362ce with the clear (?) pickguard.. I believe it will look nicer the complete sunburst.
The 562ce costs around 800€/950$ more, it is maybe too much.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankovic View Post
Nothing to be sorry about, everyone has its own tastes
What about the two GC? Does the blackwood have a big impact on the 362ce, or they are comparable?
I mean, the 562ce is also gloss and not satin, that could also give the extra price!

Thanks for your message!

Sorry again, tankovic. I know Taylor started a line of mahogany over blackwood 3xx guitars a couple of years ago. Wanted to play one, but never got the chance as the only Taylor dealer in town is a pair of Guitar Centers. And they never seemed to have one in stock and would only get one if I bought it and had it shipped in, subject to a return if I didn't like it. Actually what I didn't like was their business model. A friend recommended I try one, but I was never able. I was interested in hearing 322 and/or 324, electronics or cutaways not essential.

So your comment about blackwood got me thinking, and it turns out that I never played it. The guitar I played had a spruce top as I remember it, so it was probably the 352 model, not the 362. And I remember liking it better than the 562. If it was cheaper, I might have entertained getting it; it was that good. But I like bigger body guitars, especially for 12 strings. I didn't think as much of the 562, which kind of surprised me since I have an all-mahogany 6 string which sounds great. Might just have been that I found the 12 string version just didn't work as well for me. But both were really good instruments, which is what I would expect from Taylor. Also, the GC size allows me to sing over the guitar's volume without having to soften up my playing. Worked for those 12 string GCs I tried too.

I also note you made reference to using a GC as a parlor or comfy chair instrument. For me, sinking into a plush chair makes even a GC a bit big for me to play comfortably. I like a straight back chair best. Anyway, I guess I got a bit crossed up by the nomenclature and Taylor releasing 4 GC 12s within a relatively short time. I already had a Grand Orchestra 6 string at the time, and knew Taylor was offering an 858 model, which of course I couldn't afford. But it's very existence was a serious temptation. Ended up getting a really nice used 458e-R, so I'm very happy with the way things turned out.

And it doesn't mean I wouldn't get a 12 string GC if the right instrument showed up for the right price.

And I also note from your last post that the 362 is the one currently in your sights. Enjoy the 12 string goodness.

Don

06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 11-22-2018 at 10:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
europe, first post, taylor 12 string, taylor 362ce, taylor 562ce