The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
I will. Have you ever heard the EV EXT-10P or EV EXT-12P? (as a comparison to your HD-32A).
Do you mean the ETX series? I've used the ETX 12p before, and it's a marvelous sounding speaker. (The venue that had them also had a competent soundperson, I might add.) The ETX 12p is a significantly better sounding speaker than the harsher Mackies, although I'm sure that the comparable RCF wood cabinet speaker is very good, also.

Yamaha's new DZR series is worth looking into, as well, if you are in the market for high-quality club-sized powered speakers.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Do you mean the ETX series? I've used the ETX 12p before, and it's a marvelous sounding speaker. (The venue that had them also had a competent soundperson, I might add.) The ETX 12p is a significantly better sounding speaker than the harsher Mackies, although I'm sure that the comparable RCF wood cabinet speaker is very good, also.

Yamaha's new DZR series is worth looking into, as well, if you are in the market for high-quality club-sized powered speakers.
Yes, the ETX-10P and 12P.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:24 PM

35 years ago I built EV 12's into solid mahogany cabs made from solid mahogany that I cabbaged out from behind the piano store. Japanese pianos used to ship in hog, maybe they do still. Best guitar speakers I ever had. Still use them at home.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2001 View Post
35 years ago I built EV 12's into solid mahogany cabs made from solid mahogany that I cabbaged out from behind the piano store. Japanese pianos used to ship in hog, maybe they do still. Best guitar speakers I ever had. Still use them at home.
So that's a "yes" to EVs?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Red face

Quote:
So that's a "yes" to EVs?
By all means yes. They're doing light duty now, driven by a 70's tube type JVC amp on my digital piano. But if pressed back into duty they'd be the bulletproof champs that they've always been.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Please do come back and let us know. I have HD-32A and am very pleased with them.
I couldn't hear any difference.

So for the lower weight and less money I went with the HD-32A Mark IV. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet!

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I couldn't hear any difference.

So for the lower weight and less money I went with the HD-32A Mark IV. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet!

Thanks for everyone's input!
Cool, I'm interested to know what you think of them. What are talking about, "couldn't hear any difference" between the RCFs and ETXs, or something else?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Cool, I'm interested to know what you think of them. What are talking about, "couldn't hear any difference" between the RCFs and ETXs, or something else?
Between the NX 32-A and the HD 32-A MK4.

I wanted to see if I could hear any difference between the wood enclosure and the plastic enclosure, and I couldn't.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification